Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Matthew wrote:Group hug.



I suggest a group shower with Rob.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:08 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
Matthew wrote:Group hug.



I suggest a group shower with Rob.

The waiting list is too long I'm afraid.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:17 am

ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:I prefer the way FTD does it with the normal circles that fit into the center of the CD.

The problem here is it's not an $60.00 FTD. Every effort was made to cut costs to be made affordable on an open market.

ekenee wrote:The picture quality is excellent though.

Exactly, and the reason two or three sources were not used. This was not intended to have a bootleg feel, as the picture quality would not be consistent.

ekenee wrote:Super 8 film was never intended to be widescreen format, so by including the sprockets and all the side numbers and letters that go by, they have turned Super 8 into widescreen.
This was a HUGE mistake.

Your reasoning is wrong, the sprocket holes were left intact to provide additional picture information, just as they were used in the Abraham Zapruder film. This also gives the fan the sense of owning the actual historic film reels.

ekenee wrote:I am always hesitant whenever they want to do modern remixes of older material .

Technology restoration has greatly advanced musically in the last 40 years, I am sure Elvis would have been quite proud what they have done with this with todays sound and improvements. Some are content and prefer to live in the past but the majority has moved on it's 2012.
"There's been a lot of changes in the music field in the last 10 or 12 years. I think everything has improved the sound has improved..."(EP 1968)

ekenee wrote:Bottom line is the original is still the goto mix for this show.

That's a matter of opinion. Some still prefer 8-Tracks too. :roll:

ekenee wrote:I really think they should re-think about all these so called re-mixes.
If they can't make a real improvement over the original, then why bother

They did make a real improvement, and done one hell of a job at it! You are just in an "Elvis Shell" come out and join the real world sometimes. The 70's is gone accept newer technology it is a blessing to the Elvis Presley Legacy, and once again it's something Elvis would have been very proud of.

ekenee wrote:The product "looks" nice, but is it really better?

It's the best we have to date enjoy it!


You sort picked apart my review only bringing up things that were slightly negative.

Just to make it clear, I am not in a shell.
Many releases thru the years, including, FTD, the latest Sun stuff, the soundtracks, "Elvis is back", and many many others I could hear a reasonable "improvement".
I did hear an improvement on the afternoon show. That's a fact.
The evening show loses some of its punch when some of the guitar driven songs
have been compromised because they lowered the levels on James' guitar.
Can't you hear that? Have you compared?
It's very noticable on the very first song, "that's all right".
Elvis was always about the feel of it.
The original has a better overall feel in the sound.
You quoted Elvis, so I will too in 1970 when asked about his Sun records, he stated there was
improvements, but there was also more gimmicks.
That is certainly true today. So, much is dial turning and smoke and mirrors.
With the use of computers they can digitally change things, but is it really better?
Half the time yes, but half the time no.
Some one has already stated that the boot that came out has a better sound overall than
all the rest. I don't know, I don't own it.

Your analogy about the leaving the sprocket holes as extra information is the most ludicrious thing I have ever heard.
Can someone tell me where Elvis is inside those holes and in the band of numbers and letters that go by?
FACT: there is no lost information there.
In case you didn't know, if you play a super 8 film on a projector, the holes are not on the screen, they are used to
guide the film past the projector bulb.
There is NO reason to include the sprocket holes other than they didn't want to spend the
extra labor money to crop them out. In the digital age they have the capability to
crop out the holes and band of numbers and leave Elvis intact. And dats a fact jack.
LIke I said, with the use of your remote, that can be taken care of.


The sprocket holes were clearly left in because there is visual information above, below and around them. To chop off the sprocket holes would have also meant losing some part of the picture. Yes it is mostly parts of the stage and not Elvis himself, but that's neither here nor there. And yes, as viewed through a projector that part of the picture would never have been seen. But that doesn't mean they should automatically chop it off. We are not watching it through a projector, and to chop it off would lose some of the material that exists from that night.

To crop the picture in the way you mention would have cost relatively little in comparison to the restoration of the footage. As it says at the beginning of the show on the DVD, the holes were left in order to avoid losing any part of the available picture. Considering the low costs involved, this was clearly an artistic decision and not a commercial one. If you don't agree with their choice, then that's too bad. You can't please everyone.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:22 am

poormadpeter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:I prefer the way FTD does it with the normal circles that fit into the center of the CD.

The problem here is it's not an $60.00 FTD. Every effort was made to cut costs to be made affordable on an open market.

ekenee wrote:The picture quality is excellent though.

Exactly, and the reason two or three sources were not used. This was not intended to have a bootleg feel, as the picture quality would not be consistent.

ekenee wrote:Super 8 film was never intended to be widescreen format, so by including the sprockets and all the side numbers and letters that go by, they have turned Super 8 into widescreen.
This was a HUGE mistake.

Your reasoning is wrong, the sprocket holes were left intact to provide additional picture information, just as they were used in the Abraham Zapruder film. This also gives the fan the sense of owning the actual historic film reels.

ekenee wrote:I am always hesitant whenever they want to do modern remixes of older material .

Technology restoration has greatly advanced musically in the last 40 years, I am sure Elvis would have been quite proud what they have done with this with todays sound and improvements. Some are content and prefer to live in the past but the majority has moved on it's 2012.
"There's been a lot of changes in the music field in the last 10 or 12 years. I think everything has improved the sound has improved..."(EP 1968)

ekenee wrote:Bottom line is the original is still the goto mix for this show.

That's a matter of opinion. Some still prefer 8-Tracks too. :roll:

ekenee wrote:I really think they should re-think about all these so called re-mixes.
If they can't make a real improvement over the original, then why bother

They did make a real improvement, and done one hell of a job at it! You are just in an "Elvis Shell" come out and join the real world sometimes. The 70's is gone accept newer technology it is a blessing to the Elvis Presley Legacy, and once again it's something Elvis would have been very proud of.

ekenee wrote:The product "looks" nice, but is it really better?

It's the best we have to date enjoy it!


You sort picked apart my review only bringing up things that were slightly negative.

Just to make it clear, I am not in a shell.
Many releases thru the years, including, FTD, the latest Sun stuff, the soundtracks, "Elvis is back", and many many others I could hear a reasonable "improvement".
I did hear an improvement on the afternoon show. That's a fact.
The evening show loses some of its punch when some of the guitar driven songs
have been compromised because they lowered the levels on James' guitar.
Can't you hear that? Have you compared?
It's very noticable on the very first song, "that's all right".
Elvis was always about the feel of it.
The original has a better overall feel in the sound.
You quoted Elvis, so I will too in 1970 when asked about his Sun records, he stated there was
improvements, but there was also more gimmicks.
That is certainly true today. So, much is dial turning and smoke and mirrors.
With the use of computers they can digitally change things, but is it really better?
Half the time yes, but half the time no.
Some one has already stated that the boot that came out has a better sound overall than
all the rest. I don't know, I don't own it.

Your analogy about the leaving the sprocket holes as extra information is the most ludicrious thing I have ever heard.
Can someone tell me where Elvis is inside those holes and in the band of numbers and letters that go by?
FACT: there is no lost information there.
In case you didn't know, if you play a super 8 film on a projector, the holes are not on the screen, they are used to
guide the film past the projector bulb.
There is NO reason to include the sprocket holes other than they didn't want to spend the
extra labor money to crop them out. In the digital age they have the capability to
crop out the holes and band of numbers and leave Elvis intact. And dats a fact jack.
LIke I said, with the use of your remote, that can be taken care of.


The sprocket holes were clearly left in because there is visual information above, below and around them. To chop off the sprocket holes would have also meant losing some part of the picture. Yes it is mostly parts of the stage and not Elvis himself, but that's neither here nor there. To crop the picture in the way you mention would have cost relatively little in comparison to the restoration of the footage. As it says at the beginning of the show on the DVD, the holes were left in order to avoid losing any part of the available picture. Considering the low costs involved, this was clearly an artistic decision and not a commercial one. If you don't agree with their choice, then that's too bad. You can't please everyone.


I agree with that. I am sure when we first got the Q&A with Ernst during Memphis week this came up and the answer was exactly as you say. To be honest I have been so focused on Elvis I haven't paid any attention to it.

Jamie

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:36 am

About the whole "FACT" issue: I believed that the rest of your post you also meant as fact. Now that I know you didn't mean it as fact, well it just all makes more sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

I shouldn't have engaged in this at all. There are a few people here who have just enough information to sound informed.

That doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is when people trash a release that we should be grateful for on the basis of technical aspects they clearly don't understand. For instance, one listen to this project will reveal a nuanced approach to compression as well as a broad dynamic range. Also, if you knew anything about video editing, you would know how little it would cost to remove the sprockets.

Obviously, this is not worth arguing anymore. Can we show a little respect and gratitude? This was obviously an enthusiastic labour of love and the results are intentional...not the result of people not understanding the complexity of the music or running out of money and having to leave the sprockets on.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:02 am

ekenee wrote:They then just presented the raw footage to us, as raw footage.


If it was presented as "raw footage" it wouldn't be separated out with the blank screens, it would be all together as on the roll of film.

If it was presented as "raw footage" it wouldn't have the audio synched with it.

Raw footage suggests that it is as it was found, or as it was recorded. That is clearly not the case here.

Going back to the spocket holes. You say you can't see Elvis in the area above, below or around the holes. Well, can you see members of his band in there? Or do they not count as part of the concert? Perhaps because they are not actually Elvis we should just cut them out of all releases of Elvis product in the future?

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:06 am

joeroberts wrote:About the whole "FACT" issue: I believed that the rest of your post you also meant as fact. Now that I know you didn't mean it as fact, well it just all makes more sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

I shouldn't have engaged in this at all. There are a few people here who have just enough information to sound informed.

That doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is when people trash a release that we should be grateful for on the basis of technical aspects they clearly don't understand. For instance, one listen to this project will reveal a nuanced approach to compression as well as a broad dynamic range. Also, if you knew anything about video editing, you would know how little it would cost to remove the sprockets.

Obviously, this is not worth arguing anymore. Can we show a little respect and gratitude? This was obviously an enthusiastic labour of love and the results are intentional...not the result of people not understanding the complexity of the music or running out of money and having to leave the sprockets on.


Joe, my understanding of Brauers work was as you say above. Is there anyway I can easily see this in the sort of charts Matthew posted earlier or do I need to read up on wiki to properly understand the approach?

cheers Jamie

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:40 am

joeroberts wrote:Can we show a little respect and gratitude?

Finally!

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:42 am

Jamie wrote:Is there anyway I can easily see this in the sort of charts Matthew posted earlier or do I need to read up on wiki to properly understand the approach?

Perhaps a little too much focus is being given to the graph - I merely put that up for reference against the SoundCloud audio link simply because part of SoundCloud's display is to show the audio with an audio graph - which is notoriously misleading in its inaccuracy.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:07 am

Here are the two graphs zoomed in a little at the exact same moment, same song. The Complete Masters is on the bottom and the new release at the top. Although this picture does not come close to telling the whole story, it is clear from this diagram that the new release has as much range as the old one while making a more intelligent use of the space.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 am

joeroberts wrote:the new release has as much range as the old one

Why isn't there a face-palm smiley on this forum?

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:20 am

Oh dear. I had better leave this conversation since you're just doing your own thing now. Have a good night.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:38 am

If by "doing my own thing" you mean "keeping things in the realms of reality" then sure.

Thank you and good night.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:20 am

My personal opinion is that the Venus remix of the afternoon show is a lot better and seems so much like a live concert.

Al

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:28 am

poormadpeter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:I prefer the way FTD does it with the normal circles that fit into the center of the CD.

The problem here is it's not an $60.00 FTD. Every effort was made to cut costs to be made affordable on an open market.

ekenee wrote:The picture quality is excellent though.

Exactly, and the reason two or three sources were not used. This was not intended to have a bootleg feel, as the picture quality would not be consistent.

ekenee wrote:Super 8 film was never intended to be widescreen format, so by including the sprockets and all the side numbers and letters that go by, they have turned Super 8 into widescreen.
This was a HUGE mistake.

Your reasoning is wrong, the sprocket holes were left intact to provide additional picture information, just as they were used in the Abraham Zapruder film. This also gives the fan the sense of owning the actual historic film reels.

ekenee wrote:I am always hesitant whenever they want to do modern remixes of older material .

Technology restoration has greatly advanced musically in the last 40 years, I am sure Elvis would have been quite proud what they have done with this with todays sound and improvements. Some are content and prefer to live in the past but the majority has moved on it's 2012.
"There's been a lot of changes in the music field in the last 10 or 12 years. I think everything has improved the sound has improved..."(EP 1968)

ekenee wrote:Bottom line is the original is still the goto mix for this show.

That's a matter of opinion. Some still prefer 8-Tracks too. :roll:

ekenee wrote:I really think they should re-think about all these so called re-mixes.
If they can't make a real improvement over the original, then why bother

They did make a real improvement, and done one hell of a job at it! You are just in an "Elvis Shell" come out and join the real world sometimes. The 70's is gone accept newer technology it is a blessing to the Elvis Presley Legacy, and once again it's something Elvis would have been very proud of.

ekenee wrote:The product "looks" nice, but is it really better?

It's the best we have to date enjoy it!


You sort picked apart my review only bringing up things that were slightly negative.

Just to make it clear, I am not in a shell.
Many releases thru the years, including, FTD, the latest Sun stuff, the soundtracks, "Elvis is back", and many many others I could hear a reasonable "improvement".
I did hear an improvement on the afternoon show. That's a fact.
The evening show loses some of its punch when some of the guitar driven songs
have been compromised because they lowered the levels on James' guitar.
Can't you hear that? Have you compared?
It's very noticable on the very first song, "that's all right".
Elvis was always about the feel of it.
The original has a better overall feel in the sound.
You quoted Elvis, so I will too in 1970 when asked about his Sun records, he stated there was
improvements, but there was also more gimmicks.
That is certainly true today. So, much is dial turning and smoke and mirrors.
With the use of computers they can digitally change things, but is it really better?
Half the time yes, but half the time no.
Some one has already stated that the boot that came out has a better sound overall than
all the rest. I don't know, I don't own it.

Your analogy about the leaving the sprocket holes as extra information is the most ludicrious thing I have ever heard.
Can someone tell me where Elvis is inside those holes and in the band of numbers and letters that go by?
FACT: there is no lost information there.
In case you didn't know, if you play a super 8 film on a projector, the holes are not on the screen, they are used to
guide the film past the projector bulb.
There is NO reason to include the sprocket holes other than they didn't want to spend the
extra labor money to crop them out. In the digital age they have the capability to
crop out the holes and band of numbers and leave Elvis intact. And dats a fact jack.
LIke I said, with the use of your remote, that can be taken care of.


The sprocket holes were clearly left in because there is visual information above, below and around them. To chop off the sprocket holes would have also meant losing some part of the picture. Yes it is mostly parts of the stage and not Elvis himself, but that's neither here nor there. And yes, as viewed through a projector that part of the picture would never have been seen. But that doesn't mean they should automatically chop it off. We are not watching it through a projector, and to chop it off would lose some of the material that exists from that night.

To crop the picture in the way you mention would have cost relatively little in comparison to the restoration of the footage. As it says at the beginning of the show on the DVD, the holes were left in order to avoid losing any part of the available picture. Considering the low costs involved, this was clearly an artistic decision and not a commercial one. If you don't agree with their choice, then that's too bad. You can't please everyone.





They basically digitally copied the film in its full form.

Yes, when looking at it thru a projector you would lose a little around the edges.

Years ago when transfering this type of film they probably would have lost that little around the edges as you say.

But we are in the digital age. Nearly anything can be done.

I have captured one frame of the footage.

I drew a red line which seperates the side band of letters, numbers and the sprockets.


Everything to the right of the red line and the sprockets for that matter is the full super 8 frame.

Now, since this is the digital age, why can't all that information, right of the red line be used??

I bet steven spielberg could do it.

I am 99.9 % sure this can be done in the digital age of cropping and editing of footage.

Once again, laziness/cheapness is the only reason for including the sprockets.

If someone can come up with a valid reason that actually makes sense, I will accept it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ekenee on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:55 am

ekenee - there IS image information above and below the sprocket hole, between 1/4 and 1/3 of the hole length right to left carries image. Watch That's All Right as Elvis comes on stage, then makes his way to the microphone - watch Jerry Scheff. All will be revealed!

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:55 am

OK so here's what I get when I do a direct comparison between the Japanese CD and PFAP (just using cheapo Roxio sound editor) - using the first 24 seconds of LOVE ME from the evening show... make of it what you will. I do see what Matthew is talking about regarding the compression though...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:57 am

I would argue that the Japanese CD - the 24-bit Paper Sleeve I presume - is not the best source to compare the original mix to the new mix.

Here's Proud Mary - no volume matching. Top original mix, Complete Masters. Bottom new mix, PFAP:

Proud Mary.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:09 am

elvis1.JPG

elvis 2.JPG

elvis 3.JPG


in ALL THREE of the above caps there is information to the LEFT of the line which you have drawn (which is basically down the right hand side of the sprocket hole).

In the top pic, you can see the white guitar UNDER the right hand side of the sprocket hole. To chop the sprocket hole off would have lost the body of the guitar.

In the second pic, you can quite clearly see that there is image above, and below the sprocket hole covering approximately the right third of the sprocket hole. Cropping the sprocket hole would have lost that image.

In the third pic, you can see quite clearly that there is image below and above the right hand side of the sprocket hole.

Now, considering that took me about 3 minutes to find, I'm actually wondering if you have watched the DVD at all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:33 am

poormadpeter wrote:
elvis1.JPG

elvis 2.JPG

elvis 3.JPG


in ALL THREE of the above caps there is information to the LEFT of the line which you have drawn (which is basically down the right hand side of the sprocket hole).

In the top pic, you can see the white guitar UNDER the right hand side of the sprocket hole. To chop the sprocket hole off would have lost the body of the guitar.

In the second pic, you can quite clearly see that there is image above, and below the sprocket hole covering approximately the right third of the sprocket hole. Cropping the sprocket hole would have lost that image.

In the third pic, you can see quite clearly that there is image below and above the right hand side of the sprocket hole.

Now, considering that took me about 3 minutes to find, I'm actually wondering if you have watched the DVD at all!


Ok, thanks, that does help.
I guess I checked out the more darker close up sections and that is why I never noticed this before.

I also went into my own collection of super 8 movies and in every case but one, could I find a similair thing that is shown here. Normally, I find that no film emulsion is above and below the sprockets, because like I said, it would never have been shown since that band is used to project the film.

However I did find one that did this, so I stand corrected. But look at the amount of footage we are talking about
perhaps one millimeter. And it wouldn't be uninterupted footage since the sprockets would cut into that footage anyway, so I still feel that digitally cropping it would be an overall better presentation than leaving in one millimeter
of sprocket interrupted footage.

I will go back and correct part of my response.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:46 am

Matthew wrote:ekenee - there IS image information above and below the sprocket hole, between 1/4 and 1/3 of the hole length right to left carries image. Watch That's All Right as Elvis comes on stage, then makes his way to the microphone - watch Jerry Scheff. All will be revealed!


Yes, I see that now.
Check my amended post above.
As I have stated with the films I have checked from my collection this isn't true all the time.
Could be the film used or the film used with a certain type of camera that had emulsion
all the way nearly to the edges. I am not sure.

But, now I suppose it's a matter of debate whether this should have been included.

My reasoning is still the same and I stand by it that it is distracting and it should have
been digitally cropped to only include everything right of the sprocket.
It just makes proper sense. After all we are talking about nearly a millimeter of emulsion here, and the edge at that.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:54 am

poormadpeter wrote:
elvis1.JPG

elvis 2.JPG

elvis 3.JPG


in ALL THREE of the above caps there is information to the LEFT of the line which you have drawn (which is basically down the right hand side of the sprocket hole).

In the top pic, you can see the white guitar UNDER the right hand side of the sprocket hole. To chop the sprocket hole off would have lost the body of the guitar.

In the second pic, you can quite clearly see that there is image above, and below the sprocket hole covering approximately the right third of the sprocket hole. Cropping the sprocket hole would have lost that image.

In the third pic, you can see quite clearly that there is image below and above the right hand side of the sprocket hole.

Now, considering that took me about 3 minutes to find, I'm actually wondering if you have watched the DVD at all!


Isn't Elvis what it's all about Peter? I mean we can't see the parking lot either, but who cares.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 am

Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvis1.JPG

elvis 2.JPG

elvis 3.JPG


in ALL THREE of the above caps there is information to the LEFT of the line which you have drawn (which is basically down the right hand side of the sprocket hole).

In the top pic, you can see the white guitar UNDER the right hand side of the sprocket hole. To chop the sprocket hole off would have lost the body of the guitar.

In the second pic, you can quite clearly see that there is image above, and below the sprocket hole covering approximately the right third of the sprocket hole. Cropping the sprocket hole would have lost that image.

In the third pic, you can see quite clearly that there is image below and above the right hand side of the sprocket hole.

Now, considering that took me about 3 minutes to find, I'm actually wondering if you have watched the DVD at all!


Isn't Elvis what it's all about Peter? I mean we can't see the parking lot either, but who cares.


No. The experience is what it's all about. Elvis's band were part of Elvis's show, so if they were recorded, they should be there. Perhaps EPE should recut Aloha so we see nothing but closeups of Elvis's face?!

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 am

ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvis1.JPG

elvis 2.JPG

elvis 3.JPG


in ALL THREE of the above caps there is information to the LEFT of the line which you have drawn (which is basically down the right hand side of the sprocket hole).

In the top pic, you can see the white guitar UNDER the right hand side of the sprocket hole. To chop the sprocket hole off would have lost the body of the guitar.

In the second pic, you can quite clearly see that there is image above, and below the sprocket hole covering approximately the right third of the sprocket hole. Cropping the sprocket hole would have lost that image.

In the third pic, you can see quite clearly that there is image below and above the right hand side of the sprocket hole.

Now, considering that took me about 3 minutes to find, I'm actually wondering if you have watched the DVD at all!


Ok, thanks, that does help.
I guess I checked out the more darker close up sections and that is why I never noticed this before.

I also went into my own collection of super 8 movies and in every case but one, could I find a similair thing that is shown here. Normally, I find that no film emulsion is above and below the sprockets, because like I said, it would never have been shown since that band is used to project the film.

However I did find one that did this, so I stand corrected. But look at the amount of footage we are talking about
perhaps one millimeter. And it wouldn't be uninterupted footage since the sprockets would cut into that footage anyway, so I still feel that digitally cropping it would be an overall better presentation than leaving in one millimeter
of sprocket interrupted footage.

I will go back and correct part of my response.


Well, it's not one milimetre once it's blown up - it's up to a half of the sprocket holes.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:16 am

poormadpeter wrote:No. The experience is what it's all about. Elvis's band were part of Elvis's show, so if they were recorded, they should be there. Perhaps EPE should recut Aloha so we see nothing but closeups of Elvis's face?!

And cut out the band introductions.

Damn band.