Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 am

To my ears "Prince From Another Planet" sounds much better than "Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden" or "An Afternoon In the Garden". I turned up the volume (my own private loudness-war) and enjoyed both concerts a lot.

The documentary on the DVD is nice to have (but not essential), the fan footage has too much black spots for my taste (maybe they should have focused on the songs that were filmed) and the press conference is nice to watch.

The packaging looks nice and the booklet is well written and decently designed. The only letdown is the way the discs are attached - as written before, they are hard to get out.

In total "Prince From Another Planet" is a great release and I really cannot complain about how Sony does their job!

:D

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:35 am

It has obviously been missed that I have not as yet offered whether I like the new sound or not - but I will be fully entitled to dislike it once I've drawn my conclusions. But what is undeniable is the new release does not have "great dynamic range." It's laughable someone would try and imply I need to read up on audio and then make an embarrassing blunder like that. But enough feeding the troll. All he does is offer baseless criticism without bringing anything constructive to the table. He almost seems offended that people don't seem to love the new release. Boohoo.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:00 pm

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:To my ears "Prince From Another Planet" sounds much better than "Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden" or "An Afternoon In the Garden". I turned up the volume (my own private loudness-war) and enjoyed both concerts a lot.

The documentary on the DVD is nice to have (but not essential), the fan footage has too much black spots for my taste (maybe they should have focused on the songs that were filmed) and the press conference is nice to watch.

The packaging looks nice and the booklet is well written and decently designed. The only letdown is the way the discs are attached - as written before, they are hard to get out.

In total "Prince From Another Planet" is a great release and I really cannot complain about how Sony does their job!

:D

100%agree!~

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 pm

ekenee wrote:I prefer the way FTD does it with the normal circles that fit into the center of the CD.

The problem here is it's not an $60.00 FTD. Every effort was made to cut costs to be made affordable on an open market.

ekenee wrote:The picture quality is excellent though.

Exactly, and the reason two or three sources were not used. This was not intended to have a bootleg feel, as the picture quality would not be consistent.

ekenee wrote:Super 8 film was never intended to be widescreen format, so by including the sprockets and all the side numbers and letters that go by, they have turned Super 8 into widescreen.
This was a HUGE mistake.

Your reasoning is wrong, the sprocket holes were left intact to provide additional picture information, just as they were used in the Abraham Zapruder film. This also gives the fan the sense of owning the actual historic film reels.

ekenee wrote:I am always hesitant whenever they want to do modern remixes of older material .

Technology restoration has greatly advanced musically in the last 40 years, I am sure Elvis would have been quite proud what they have done with this with todays sound and improvements. Some are content and prefer to live in the past but the majority has moved on it's 2012.
"There's been a lot of changes in the music field in the last 10 or 12 years. I think everything has improved the sound has improved..."(EP 1968)

ekenee wrote:Bottom line is the original is still the goto mix for this show.

That's a matter of opinion. Some still prefer 8-Tracks too. :roll:

ekenee wrote:I really think they should re-think about all these so called re-mixes.
If they can't make a real improvement over the original, then why bother

They did make a real improvement, and done one hell of a job at it! You are just in an "Elvis Shell" come out and join the real world sometimes. The 70's is gone accept newer technology it is a blessing to the Elvis Presley Legacy, and once again it's something Elvis would have been very proud of.

ekenee wrote:The product "looks" nice, but is it really better?

It's the best we have to date enjoy it!

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:35 pm

joeroberts wrote:This release sounds great. I wish people would stop being cranky because "compression" was used. None of you really know what you're talking about. You just like to whine and complain. And just because you can dump a .wav file into audacity doesn't mean you know what you're looking at. Give it up, gramps.

BINGO!

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Matthew wrote:It has obviously been missed that I have not as yet offered whether I like the new sound or not - but I will be fully entitled to dislike it once I've drawn my conclusions. But what is undeniable is the new release does not have "great dynamic range." It's laughable someone would try and imply I need to read up on audio and then make an embarrassing blunder like that. But enough feeding the troll. All he does is offer baseless criticism without bringing anything constructive to the table. He almost seems offended that people don't seem to love the new release. Boohoo.


Of course you'll be entitled to dislike it. But the fact you've already managed a waveform and compression detection but haven't "offered whether you like it or not", and haven't "drawn your conclusions", about a 50-minute 40-year old concert recording, suggests more about yourself than any "troll" could, in my opinion.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:02 pm

King Volcano wrote:
Matthew wrote:It has obviously been missed that I have not as yet offered whether I like the new sound or not - but I will be fully entitled to dislike it once I've drawn my conclusions. But what is undeniable is the new release does not have "great dynamic range." It's laughable someone would try and imply I need to read up on audio and then make an embarrassing blunder like that. But enough feeding the troll. All he does is offer baseless criticism without bringing anything constructive to the table. He almost seems offended that people don't seem to love the new release. Boohoo.


Of course you'll be entitled to dislike it. But the fact you've already managed a waveform and compression detection but haven't "offered whether you like it or not", and haven't "drawn your conclusions", about a 50-minute 40-year old concert recording, suggests more about yourself than any "troll" could, in my opinion.

I highly disregard Matthew as being a "troll" such a harsh statement toward one of FECC's finest veteran members , wouldn't you say? :?

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Just listened again to the afternoon show and yes , it's great sounding! Elvis and his band sound clear and it's like listening to a new concert...

As for the sprocket wheels I don't even notice them because I'm focused on Elvis and his captivating moves.

'Prince' is a fantastic release...the footage jaw-dropping!!

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:26 pm

King Volcano wrote:Of course you'll be entitled to dislike it. But the fact you've already managed a waveform and compression detection but haven't "offered whether you like it or not", and haven't "drawn your conclusions", about a 50-minute 40-year old concert recording, suggests more about yourself than any "troll" could, in my opinion.

The time it took to detect the compression was instant - as soon as I hit play, it's audible - completely obvious. The time it took to make up the sample comparison was all of 5 minutes max, the waveform is a mere screen-shot of that. The live in Memphis FTD is also quite compressed but I enjoy it. I'll reserve my judgement on the new release until I've had more time with it.

Oh, and the fact you've managed a bunk criticism of my work but haven't offered anything of substance in return suggests more about yourself than any "troll" could.

:smt023

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:31 pm

For me the new mix was northing less than a rediscovery of Elvis at MSG. I never thought much about the original album because of the flat and dull sound and then to hear this is simply stunning. PFAP is the goto version if you want to hear MSG in best possible sound experience. For me it is.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:41 pm

promiseland wrote:
King Volcano wrote:
Matthew wrote:It has obviously been missed that I have not as yet offered whether I like the new sound or not - but I will be fully entitled to dislike it once I've drawn my conclusions. But what is undeniable is the new release does not have "great dynamic range." It's laughable someone would try and imply I need to read up on audio and then make an embarrassing blunder like that. But enough feeding the troll. All he does is offer baseless criticism without bringing anything constructive to the table. He almost seems offended that people don't seem to love the new release. Boohoo.


Of course you'll be entitled to dislike it. But the fact you've already managed a waveform and compression detection but haven't "offered whether you like it or not", and haven't "drawn your conclusions", about a 50-minute 40-year old concert recording, suggests more about yourself than any "troll" could, in my opinion.

I highly disregard Matthew as being a "troll" such a harsh statement toward one of FECC's finest veteran members , wouldn't you say? :?


Re-read his post & mine. I didn't call him a troll, because he isn't one.

I agree he's a terrific member whose posts & info I've enjoyed & learned a lot from over the years reading the board. That shouldn't necessarily mean I have to censor a criticism I might rightly or wrongly feel, just as he doesn't have to censor his criticisms if he decides he doesn't like Prince From Another Planet.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Group hug.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:03 pm

yes, I'm having a virtual hug right now! I agree about Memphisl, not a great mix but still thoroughly enjoyable. I hope you end up enjoying this to.

I know I keep banging on about it but Elvis vocals on the new mixes blow me away. Lets be thankful that we have so many options for listening to these concerts and not just one.

cheers J

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:38 pm

ekenee wrote:
Mike S wrote:Thanks for your review which echos my thoughts almost exactly.

Only difference I have is that the afternoon show featured on the import CD Operation Big Apple features much better sound in my opinion than this remix. Have you heard It?


No, I actually never got around to buying the import versions of those shows.
But I believe you when you say they are better in sound than these remixes.


Heres PSA VENUS

CD1
http://en.packupload.com/0N5IDVLHWG9

CD2
http://en.packupload.com/C11X2C95K60

The links look similar but they are different versions .......

Here also is my ReWorked version from the CM Set, just to compare

http://en.packupload.com/N69TJQE62RM
Last edited by dennyelvis on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Matthew wrote:My set has arrived. I have not yet really scrutinised it but have played through some of the film and interview segments, and briefly listened to some of the audio, particularly focusing on Polk Salad Annie. Initial thoughts:

The way the CDs are housed is terrible - tightly constricted into little slots that you have to man-handle out to gain access. Not good. At the least the centre CD holes should be accessible so they can be pushed out. Beyond this the packaging is very nice, with some great images and presentation similar to the Big Beat set but in a smaller format.
The footage is fun but the lack of instant access to the footage points is frustrating. The frame rate is a little distracting at times but otherwise very cool to watch synced with the audio.
The interview footage is raw and choppy and thus lacks real flow. Constructing the interview from the various film sources would have been preferable, or at the least including the full audio on one of the CDs would have sufficed. Image quality is ok if a little soft.
The audio is heavily compressed.

I hope those comparing the new mixes to the old mixes are volume matching the sources first. There is a LOT more dynamic range in the 1972 mix of the evening show for example compared to the new mix - which has to be significantly reduced in volume to best compare.

Thanks for posting your impressions.

Although I have not always agreed with your conclusions in the past, I always appreciate your views and the knowledge you display on the subject of sound recording techniques, which is why I referenced you by name in the other thread.

I also appreciate why you need more time to form your final impressions on the merits or otherwise of the sound featured on this release....it can sometimes take me two or three spins before I am certain whether my initial like/dislike is confirmed or not.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:16 pm

I don't care too much why a certain recording sounds better. Maybe it's all a cheap trick, but as long as it sounds better to me I am happy with it.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:39 pm

promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:I prefer the way FTD does it with the normal circles that fit into the center of the CD.

The problem here is it's not an $60.00 FTD. Every effort was made to cut costs to be made affordable on an open market.

ekenee wrote:The picture quality is excellent though.

Exactly, and the reason two or three sources were not used. This was not intended to have a bootleg feel, as the picture quality would not be consistent.

ekenee wrote:Super 8 film was never intended to be widescreen format, so by including the sprockets and all the side numbers and letters that go by, they have turned Super 8 into widescreen.
This was a HUGE mistake.

Your reasoning is wrong, the sprocket holes were left intact to provide additional picture information, just as they were used in the Abraham Zapruder film. This also gives the fan the sense of owning the actual historic film reels.

ekenee wrote:I am always hesitant whenever they want to do modern remixes of older material .

Technology restoration has greatly advanced musically in the last 40 years, I am sure Elvis would have been quite proud what they have done with this with todays sound and improvements. Some are content and prefer to live in the past but the majority has moved on it's 2012.
"There's been a lot of changes in the music field in the last 10 or 12 years. I think everything has improved the sound has improved..."(EP 1968)

ekenee wrote:Bottom line is the original is still the goto mix for this show.

That's a matter of opinion. Some still prefer 8-Tracks too. :roll:

ekenee wrote:I really think they should re-think about all these so called re-mixes.
If they can't make a real improvement over the original, then why bother

They did make a real improvement, and done one hell of a job at it! You are just in an "Elvis Shell" come out and join the real world sometimes. The 70's is gone accept newer technology it is a blessing to the Elvis Presley Legacy, and once again it's something Elvis would have been very proud of.

ekenee wrote:The product "looks" nice, but is it really better?

It's the best we have to date enjoy it!


You sort picked apart my review only bringing up things that were slightly negative.

Just to make it clear, I am not in a shell.
Many releases thru the years, including, FTD, the latest Sun stuff, the soundtracks, "Elvis is back", and many many others I could hear a reasonable "improvement".
I did hear an improvement on the afternoon show. That's a fact.
The evening show loses some of its punch when some of the guitar driven songs
have been compromised because they lowered the levels on James' guitar.
Can't you hear that? Have you compared?
It's very noticable on the very first song, "that's all right".
Elvis was always about the feel of it.
The original has a better overall feel in the sound.
You quoted Elvis, so I will too in 1970 when asked about his Sun records, he stated there was
improvements, but there was also more gimmicks.
That is certainly true today. So, much is dial turning and smoke and mirrors.
With the use of computers they can digitally change things, but is it really better?
Half the time yes, but half the time no.
Some one has already stated that the boot that came out has a better sound overall than
all the rest. I don't know, I don't own it.

Your analogy about the leaving the sprocket holes as extra information is the most ludicrious thing I have ever heard.
Can someone tell me where Elvis is inside those holes and in the band of numbers and letters that go by?
if you play a super 8 film on a projector, the holes are not on the screen, they are used to
guide the film past the projector bulb.
There is NO reason to include the sprocket holes other than they didn't want to spend the
extra labor money to crop them out. In the digital age they have the capability to
crop out the holes and band of numbers and leave Elvis intact. And dats a fact jack.
LIke I said, with the use of your remote, that can be taken care of.
Last edited by ekenee on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Wish people would stop declaring things as fact when they don't have a clue. The cropping was not done the way it was for financial reasons. Putting FACT in capital letters and then declaring so reveals your ignorance. The "information" was left there because it looks cool and unique and to distinguish the footage from pro footage. Don't jump all over me. Those are the reasons.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:52 pm

[.
Last edited by ekenee on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:11 pm

joeroberts wrote:The "information" was left there because it looks cool and unique and to distinguish the footage from pro footage. Don't jump all over me. Those are the reasons.


They didn't really need that sprocket hole to distinguish it from pro footage. Just watch the entire Never Been To Spain, it's so out of focus it gives you a headache. Never saw that kind of pro footage before....

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:22 pm

ekenee wrote:I think everyone knows I keep it as real as it gets so here it is, the good and the bad.

At first glance of the packaging I felt it resembled the FTD foldout releases.
[CUT].


Next time you do a no nonense review add also self shot pictures to it to visualize your review.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Simon1 wrote:
joeroberts wrote:The "information" was left there because it looks cool and unique and to distinguish the footage from pro footage. Don't jump all over me. Those are the reasons.


They didn't really need that sprocket hole to distinguish it from pro footage. Just watch the entire Never Been To Spain, it's so out of focus it gives you a headache. Never saw that kind of pro footage before....


Exactly...


For the record, it isn't cool or unique.

And the real reason it is included is like I stated in my original post.

They treated the fan footage and the press conference footage as raw elements to be used
in the documentary. When they used those elements in the documentary they were cleaned up, and the aspect ratio was changed. Watch the documentary and you see no sprockets.
They then just presented the raw footage to us, as raw footage. Overdubbed of course.
Like I wrote in my review, it's no big deal because that can be self cropped using your remote.
But let's not pretend they left it in there like that because it was cool and unique.
Last edited by ekenee on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 pm

moffringa wrote:
ekenee wrote:I think everyone knows I keep it as real as it gets so here it is, the good and the bad.

At first glance of the packaging I felt it resembled the FTD foldout releases.
[CUT].


Next time you do a no nonense review add also self shot pictures to it to visualize your review.


I can't see your point since everyone has seen a picture of the set or owns it.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:18 pm

I thought CDs sounded better than the older releases but the DVD is a once watch and thats it. Perhaps I will revisit a song or 2 now & then. I agree about the press conf also. Annoying. Gather all the bits and put all the footage out. I feel it was a half-heated attempt. All in all, good value for the money release when compared to FTD releases.

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:21 pm

To judge audio recordings you should also include on what Equipment you have used. If you use a 200USD machine
there might be no sound improvement. Many releases sounds different depending on what hifi you have in your home. So for me listening experience is how it sounds on my gear, and not what is written on this board as there is no reference what was used to make your judgement.