Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: My NO-nonsense mini review of Prince from another Planet

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:29 am

could we fade the band out during the songs too?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:17 am

I say they should have just released it all on 8-tracks so the lost in the 70's fans will all be happy!!
Everytime something is improved it's like blasphemy.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:45 am

Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:in ALL THREE of the above caps there is information to the LEFT of the line which you have drawn (which is basically down the right hand side of the sprocket hole).
In the top pic, you can see the white guitar UNDER the right hand side of the sprocket hole. To chop the sprocket hole off would have lost the body of the guitar.
In the second pic, you can quite clearly see that there is image above, and below the sprocket hole covering approximately the right third of the sprocket hole. Cropping the sprocket hole would have lost that image.
In the third pic, you can see quite clearly that there is image below and above the right hand side of the sprocket hole.
Now, considering that took me about 3 minutes to find, I'm actually wondering if you have watched the DVD at all!

Isn't Elvis what it's all about Peter? I mean we can't see the parking lot either, but who cares.

Who cares? I can only guess how many people on this message board would be pissing and moaning if they edited that footage... did you just join this board yesterday???

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:18 pm

I think maybe we are forgetting this a a cd release with an extra DVD to provide historical context. It's not the main event. If it were I could understand the criticism but it isn't. It works just fine in the context of a cd release. Personally I've been so focused on Elvis himself that the sprockets have not been an issue.
Jamie

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Jamie wrote:Personally I've been so focused on Elvis himself that the sprockets have not been an issue.

Exactly...

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Well spoken Jamie! The DVD is a bonus, and I love it! :)

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Hey, I've obviously struck a cord with the Bearded Elvis Avitar community! ;-)

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Jamie wrote:Personally I've been so focused on Elvis himself that the sprockets have not been an issue.

Exactly...

The sprockets have not bothered me either - they seem to add to the atmosphere of watching a home movie.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 pm

I got mine yesterday from Amazon and it's very enjoyable and excellent value for money at £14.
My youngest of 4 loves Proud Mary-funnily enough he likes a lot of Fogerty tunes, Bad Moon Rising in particular- when's the unreleased version Elvis did of that one coming out, stuff Feelings and other guff he reportedly sang during the 70's, that song would top them all :wink:

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Matthew wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Exactly...

The sprockets have not bothered me either - they seem to add to the atmosphere of watching a home movie.

They don't bother me either. What we have is stunning footage of Elvis... I can't stop watching it!

For years I've wondered how Elvis performed at the garden with only insignificant footage available on youtube.But the Don Lance footage is fantastic –– a revelation!! Elvis looks fabulous in his powder blue jumpsuit - arguably the best outfit of the engagement. The Elvis touring juggernaut was at full-steam and here we see him hitting his stride with physically commanding performances - 'Prince From Another Planet' - yeah baby!!

Watch him stand back so nonchalant cool at 'That's All Right's' conclusion before the final guitar thrust...the playful guitar turn - Elvis' guitar throw to Charlie - and glimpses of his gold bling cape.

It seems Don aimed his camera just at the righ moments: "Polk Salad Annie's" wonderful dynamic ending... 'Hound Dog's' drama and spectacle...Elvis carved from stone, a God poised, and the songs finale, a nod to his army years.

However, whirling dervish style it's 'Suspicious Minds' where he winds up the tension, finally unleashed in a stunning karate showcase finish that's jaw-droppingly sen-sa-tional.

Ernst was open mouthed when he watched it for the first time and I'm not surprised - the ephinous revelations of the king on his throne playing to the adoring masses at MSG.
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 am, edited 6 times in total.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:41 am

poormadpeter wrote:could we fade the band out during the songs too?

Now you're being just silly. We were discussing how important it was to see a piece of a guitar. Personally I wouldn't have minded missing that minute piece of a guitar. Rather that than the inexplicable strange white hole on the screen.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:04 am

Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:could we fade the band out during the songs too?

Now you're being just silly. We were discussing how important it was to see a piece of a guitar. Personally I wouldn't have minded missing that minute piece of a guitar. Rather that than the inexplicable strange white hole on the screen.

We were indeed. But your statement was that it was "all about Elvis", which my somewhat sarcastic comment showed was actually not the case.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 pm

I think the sound on the PFAP is great but watching the afternoon show of the DVD which is the real reason I would watch the dvd at all is very annoying due to the blackouts.

Im surprised there hasnt been more complaints about this. So this begs the question what do you do during these blackouts while waiting for more footage to come up on screen??

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:18 pm

nod3million wrote:I think the sound on the PFAP is great but watching the afternoon show of the DVD which is the real reason I would watch the dvd at all is very annoying due to the blackouts.

Im surprised there hasnt been more complaints about this. So this begs the question what do you do during these blackouts while waiting for more footage to come up on screen??

Use the DVD remote to fast forward until the footage appears again. To help you further, these are the songs with footage:

Pre Show / 2001 (1 min 10 secs)
Thats Alright (2 mins 19 secs) complete
Proud Mary (1 min 23 secs)
Never Been To Spain (2 mins 45 secs)
Polk Salad Annie (2 mins 10 secs)
Heartbreak Hotel (1 min 36 secs)
Reconsider Baby (11 secs)
Hound Dog (2 mins 4 secs)
I'll Remember You (1 min 3 secs)
Suspicious Minds (2 mins 50 secs)
Introductions (25 secs)
American Trilogy (2 mins 39 secs)
CHFIL + Outro (49 secs)

(Also remember that the footage is incomplete and comes and goes several times during the songs concerned).

You are right about the presentation though....it is poorly thought out and unimaginative, especially for a mainstream release....what were they thinking?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 pm

In my opinion, PFAP is light years better than anything produced so far. For the first time Elvis, band, singers, orchestra and audience are upfront. The only part which is not as good as the original is the opening crowd reaction as heard on the AAITG release. The crowd response having their first glimpse of Elvis has been lost somewhat amongst the mix.

Brian

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Mike S wrote:
nod3million wrote:I think the sound on the PFAP is great but watching the afternoon show of the DVD which is the real reason I would watch the dvd at all is very annoying due to the blackouts.

Use the DVD remote to fast forward until the footage appears again. To help you further, these are the songs with footage:

Pre Show / 2001 (1 min 10 secs)
Thats Alright (2 mins 19 secs) complete
Proud Mary (1 min 23 secs)
Never Been To Spain (2 mins 45 secs)
Polk Salad Annie (2 mins 10 secs)
Heartbreak Hotel (1 min 36 secs)
Reconsider Baby (11 secs)
Hound Dog (2 mins 4 secs)
I'll Remember You (1 min 3 secs)
Suspicious Minds (2 mins 50 secs)
Introductions (25 secs)
American Trilogy (2 mins 39 secs)
CHFIL + Outro (49 secs)

(Also remember that the footage is incomplete and comes and goes several times during the songs concerned).

You are right about the presentation though....it is poorly thought out and unimaginative, especially for a mainstream release....what were they thinking?

Thanks for your help Mike, its nice to have a break down of the timings of footage. I just dont think its a good way to present a dvd, the general public who did buy this (if there are any) I mean those who dont look at message boards probably think its faulty!!

Anyway we have what we have.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Recieved mine today, the outer packaging is seductive, no question, but inside it's a different matter altogether. The three discs are housed within a flimsy tri-fold out card which has been so poorly designed that they barely fit inside making it a struggle to remove them. As a result it will only be a matter of time before the card sleeves tear or the discs get scratched by this process. Very disappointing.
The informative booklet is complete with great pictures. The re-mastered sound has produced a genuine improvement in clarity that is definately noticable even to the untrained ear. The Madison Square Garden experience was an event, a peak in a career of a solo star that has no equal.
If there is a weakness, the gaps in the 8mm fan footage could have been better filled in, but we are really lucky to have the footage considering the concerts were not professionally filmed. A complete visual of "That's All Right" is a treasure, as is the concluding footage of "Suspicious Minds".

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:45 pm

I got to thinking about this footage, since it's been making the rounds for years, so I went back and checked it out
on my boot DVD's.

I think I have it in about 3 different incarnations.

What is amazing is how many generations of copies were used to make these boot DVD's, so the quality
is not good at all.

Given that, the transformation of seeing this bad quality footage up against the original film sound dubbed is
startling.
I also got to thinking that so much of the footage I have bought over the years contains multi-generations
of copying, and some of it is potentially better than this footage, if it could be seen in it's original form.
I hope Sony can make a habit of doing this with 8mm film.

Not sure if any footage is available of his 74 memphis show.

But I sure would like to see the 1976 Pittsburgh show fully restored and dubbed with
soundboard if this can be located.

Also, the Dec. 6th??? 1975 show I have on video has many complete songs.

So, far this overdubbing on silent film has been done twice officially.

Tupelo and now MSG.

Any other canidates for this process you can think of??

Since this was a main stream release by the main label, only becuase it was a
iconic show in Elvis's career, I think that FTD should take off with this type of release for the fans,
on lesser known shows in his career.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Just once more: I think it's a overall nice package for a good price but the CD audio... to my ears Brauer f***ed it up - big time.

Can't wait for the 50th anniversary release in hope they'll get it right this time.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Just once more: I think it's a overall nice package for a good price but the CD audio... to my ears Brauer f***ed it up - big time.

Can't wait for the 50th anniversary release in hope they'll get it right this time.

Geeze, it is weird how so many fans can hear different things.

Since so many think the sound is "brilliant", we are in the minority.

Of course, I recall how people went ape when E1 was released and thought it was just great.
And the sound on that thing really was bad.
I think people have a tendacy to rave about something just because it's new and different.

I wonder if history will be kind to this release.

Oveall it's a good release, but not bad.

The highlight for me is the footage.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:In my opinion, PFAP is light years better than anything produced so far. For the first time Elvis, band, singers, orchestra and audience are upfront.

The backing singers are certainly not upfront, and are placed too close to the centre of the sound field. In the full on passages (of which there are many - it's 1972 after all) everything's competing for the same airspace, squashed up against an iron railing. Pictures crowds of people pressed up against shop windows for Black Friday sales, waiting for the shop to open - that's what this release sounds like.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:00 am

Must admit, when i saw MIXED BY Brauer, MASTERED BY Anseni, i had high hopes, it could have been mindblowing, after all, how often as fans do we get all the way back to the master tapes ? not often enough, perhaps mixed and mastered by Vic was the way to go ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:04 am

dennyelvis wrote:perhaps mixed and mastered by Vic was the way to go ?

This was the hope all along when rumours of a release began circulating. A missed opportunity.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:47 am

If you got the equipment, you could try to make another copy and edit out the blackouts so the footage goes from one song to the other without delays.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 am

ekenee wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Just once more: I think it's a overall nice package for a good price but the CD audio... to my ears Brauer f***ed it up - big time.

Geeze, it is weird how so many fans can hear different things.

Since so many think the sound is "brilliant", we are in the minority.

Of course, I recall how people went ape when E1 was released and thought it was just great.
And the sound on that thing really was bad.
I think people have a tendacy to rave about something just because it's new and different.

I wonder if history will be kind to this release.

Oveall it's a good release, but not bad.

The highlight for me is the footage.
Yeah, I think the footage is the highlight of the package. BTW, I've seen more complete versions of the press conference on youtube.
When I first listened to the sound sample of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" all my worst fears came true. I hoped that they were a hoax - unfortunately they weren't... :roll: