Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 am

To coincide with the Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3-cd set) I'd like to see Sony release "I've Got A Thing About You Baby" as a cd single. Just a few thousand units sold (combined with the 1970's vinyl single sales) would hopefully push the single officially over the 500,000 mark!

Ernst Jorgensen writes in his Elvis Day By Day book that the single sold a half million copies, yet it has never been certified as "Gold".

It wasn't until "That's All Right" was issued as a cd single in 2004 that it was finally certified a "Gold" award (combined sales with vinyl single from past years) >> www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/t/thatsallright.htm

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 am

A nice idea but since the single format is long dead i'm not sure it would sell enough to get a gold certification.

If it needed 5,000 copies to get certified gold i'd say okay but if it needed more than that i'm not so sure.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 6:39 am

Nice idea, but I doubt it would work. Don't get me wrong. I would absolutely love for Sony Legacy to be able to finally present gold records for some of the Stax albums and singles by Elvis. Yes, Ernst's "Day By Day" book mentions that "I've Got A Thing About You Baby" sold 500,000 copies. So where's the gold record? And how is it that three other singles from the Stax sessions "If You Talk In Your Sleep," "Promised Land," and "My Boy" all managed to make the top twenty on the Billboard Hot 100 yet none of those 3 singles are certified gold yet? How is it that in addition to "My Boy" making the top twenty, it also went to number one on the Easy Listening Chart yet remains uncertified? How is it that an album like "Promised Land", which featured two of the top twenty singles ("Promised Land" and "If You Talk In Your Sleep") and also reached #1 on the Country album charts hasn't been certified.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 6:39 am

This song is so overrated. If he had re-recorded it in December it might be as good as people say. As it is, IMO, Elvis' tired, nasal voice mars what would otherwise be a catchy, commercial song. I have trouble listening to him with that half dead sound of his.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 6:39 am

The CD single is a dead format and as nice as this song is, Elvis' vocal is not fantastic.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 6:45 am

The singles market is very much alive and well, and more so than any point during the past decade. But I can't see this translating to a minor Elvis single release, especially in a digital environment.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 6:54 am

This song could have been a huge hit!!!!! 8)

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 7:00 am

ian wrote:This song could have been a huge hit!!!!! 8)

It could have done better than it did - an engaged vocal from Elvis wouldn't have hurt.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 7:16 am

Matthew wrote:
ian wrote:This song could have been a huge hit!!!!! 8)

It could have done better than it did - an engaged vocal from Elvis wouldn't have hurt.

Exactly. The song is somewhat compelling, but the vocal is not engaging.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 7:25 am

Matthew wrote:
ian wrote:This song could have been a huge hit!!!!! 8)

It could have done better than it did - an engaged vocal from Elvis wouldn't have hurt.


I absolutely agree with you 100% on this one.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 10:36 am

The Cd single has all but gone hasn't it? I think it's only the songs that could generate big sales are put on CD singles these days in the UK anyway (ie - X factor stuff). In fact, there's no where in my town I could buy a 'new' CD single from. If it was a single download, I can't imagine it generating much sales really anyway. I don't mind the song myself, but I wouldn't download it, I've probably got it umpteen times on CD as it is. The only way good sales could be guaranteed these days would be to stick it over a commercial I would think. So what would be the most appropriate commercial for this song. Discuss... (If you want to, of course...)

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 11:15 am

I would like to see a limited edition single released here in the UK. I think it would chart. Original artwork much like the 2005 singles box set would work IMO.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
Matthew wrote:
ian wrote:This song could have been a huge hit!!!!! 8)

It could have done better than it did - an engaged vocal from Elvis wouldn't have hurt.


I absolutely agree with you 100% on this one.

I agree too .

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 12:53 pm

About the only use an Elvis single has in 2013 and onwards is if Sony decides to tap into the Record Store Day phenomenon and release exclusive 7" vinyl singles to independent stores for the annual celebration.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Singles are alive but as downloads. A physical hard copy CD single is a thing of the past. Its a good song, but as mentioned, an uninspired Elvis vocal ruins it. Perhaps a remix might help it like ALLC. Then you can have the Stax orig version and a remix for the market. I don't know, I don't think Elvis would sell singles anymore no matter what.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 7:11 pm

r&b wrote:Singles are alive but as downloads. A physical hard copy CD single is a thing of the past. Its a good song, but as mentioned, an uninspired Elvis vocal ruins it. Perhaps a remix might help it like ALLC. Then you can have the Stax orig version and a remix for the market. I don't know, I don't think Elvis would sell singles anymore no matter what.


They probably said that before 2002.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 7:33 pm

trouble_jw wrote:
r&b wrote:... I don't know, I don't think Elvis would sell singles anymore no matter what.

They probably said that before 2002.

:smt023

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Don't confuse hits with sales -- ALLC was the exception, of course, bolstered by a massive international advertising campaign, courtesy of Nike, and as an unofficial song for the 2002 World Cup. That kind of backing and exposure isn't commonplace, and was paramount in the remix of an obscure movie song becoming a bona fide smash. This wasn't replicated with the Rubberneckin' remix, and despite the single releases of 2005 reaching the higher end of the UK singles chart, their individual sales were unimpressive and came during the nadir of the single. Now, with the singles chart rejuvenated and enjoying tremendous sales and hot competition, the chances of another genuine Presley hit lies as much in marketing and opportunity than song choice. Still, for the sake of something like I've Got a Thing About You Baby achieving a particular sales threshold, limited edition vinyl is probably the way to go. That, at least, will have the attention of fans who are collectors and completists.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Speaking for the UK, ALLC in 2002 was helped by the Nike world cup campaign, the 2005 number ones campaign were helped by the 'limited edition' tag and unscrupulous ebay sellers buying dozens at a time, the 2007 'the King' campaign still managed top twenty but I don't think grabbed the CD single buyers imagination like the previous effort. They were the last Elvis singles from Sony weren't they? Many companies just don't manufacturer mass produced CD singles anymore, the only ones are potential big sellers like X factor/Charity offerings. Most 'singles' now are limited edition 7" vinyl releases or mail order only limited edition Cd Singles (or EP's) from the artist themselves (certainly indie ones are). The future of the single (do we even still call it that?) are small files instantly available from itunes, amazon etc.. I liked the CD single, I've got hundreds still, but I think as a format, generally speaking, it is dead. I for one wouldn't buy it myself these days - nor download it, I'd sooner spend my dough on FTD's...

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 8:17 pm

greystoke wrote:Don't confuse hits with sales -- ALLC was the exception, of course, bolstered by a massive international advertising campaign, courtesy of Nike, and as an unofficial song for the 2002 World Cup. That kind of backing and exposure isn't commonplace, and was paramount in the remix of an obscure movie song becoming a bona fide smash. This wasn't replicated with the Rubberneckin' remix, and despite the single releases of 2005 reaching the higher end of the UK singles chart, their individual sales were unimpressive and came during the nadir of the single. Now, with the singles chart rejuvenated and enjoying tremendous sales and hot competition, the chances of another genuine Presley hit lies as much in marketing and opportunity than song choice. Still, for the sake of something like I've Got a Thing About You Baby achieving a particular sales threshold, limited edition vinyl is probably the way to go. That, at least, will have the attention of fans who are collectors and completists.

That's what I was trying to say, beat me to it and better structured without waffling... +1 etc..

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 pm

When In Rome wrote:Speaking for the UK, ALLC in 2002 was helped by the Nike world cup campaign, the 2005 number ones campaign were helped by the 'limited edition' tag and unscrupulous ebay sellers buying dozens at a time, the 2007 'the King' campaign still managed top twenty but I don't think grabbed the CD single buyers imagination like the previous effort. They were the last Elvis singles from Sony weren't they? Many companies just don't manufacturer mass produced CD singles anymore, the only ones are potential big sellers like X factor/Charity offerings. Most 'singles' now are limited edition 7" vinyl releases or mail order only limited edition Cd Singles (or EP's) from the artist themselves (certainly indie ones are). The future of the single (do we even still call it that?) are small files instantly available from itunes, amazon etc.. I liked the CD single, I've got hundreds still, but I think as a format, generally speaking, it is dead. I for one wouldn't buy it myself these days - nor download it, I'd sooner spend my dough on FTD's...


Speaking mostly for the USA sales. ALLC wasn't as big here as it was in other countries. But then again, neither is soccer.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 10:12 pm

It still topped the sales chart in 2002.

The U.S. singles chart is entirely based on radio play not sales.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 10:33 pm

brian wrote:It still topped the sales chart in 2002.

The U.S. singles chart is entirely based on radio play not sales.


That may be the last time it will ever happen. It has to be some kind of major campaign again to get Elvis that kind of attention. In 2002 we had the Disney movie promoting Elvis, and the 30 #1 Hits CD campaign. People were still buying CDs and there were still stores. 11 years is a lifetime in the trendy music business and Elvis fans are that much older. Doubt young folks would like very much of the music that was recorded at Stax without some kind of major remix.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 10:42 pm

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:It still topped the sales chart in 2002.

The U.S. singles chart is entirely based on radio play not sales.


That may be the last time it will ever happen. It has to be some kind of major campaign again to get Elvis that kind of attention. In 2002 we had the Disney movie promoting Elvis, and the 30 #1 Hits CD campaign. People were still buying CDs and there were still stores. 11 years is a lifetime in the trendy music business and Elvis fans are that much older. Doubt young folks would like very much of the music that was recorded at Stax without some kind of major remix.


Elvis having a major hit like that will never happen again.

When Blue River is talking about Sony re-releasing ''I've got a thing about you baby'' he means since that it is alledgedly close to half a millon copies.

He wants Sony to release it again so all the die hard Elvis fans can buy a copy to get it to the half a million sales mark and a gold record certification.

A remix of ''I've got a thing about you baby'' would be counted as a separate release and defeat the purpose.

Re: I've Got A Thing About You Baby... cd single ?

Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 pm

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:It still topped the sales chart in 2002.

The U.S. singles chart is entirely based on radio play not sales.


That may be the last time it will ever happen. It has to be some kind of major campaign again to get Elvis that kind of attention. In 2002 we had the Disney movie promoting Elvis, and the 30 #1 Hits CD campaign. People were still buying CDs and there were still stores. 11 years is a lifetime in the trendy music business and Elvis fans are that much older. Doubt young folks would like very much of the music that was recorded at Stax without some kind of major remix.


Elvis having a major hit like that will never happen again.

When Blue River is talking about Sony re-releasing ''I've got a thing about you baby'' he means since that it is alledgedly close to half a millon copies.

He wants Sony to release it again so all the die hard Elvis fans can buy a copy to get it to the half a million sales mark and a gold record certification.

A remix of ''I've got a thing about you baby'' would be counted as a separate release and defeat the purpose.


Ok.