Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Memphis sessions Question #2

Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi, are the undubbed masters on the new FTD From Elvis In Memphis (and Back In Memphis) just that or are they the complete replacement/repair vocal overdubs ?.

I ask the question because the undubbed 'Wearin' that loved on look' does not sound the same as the master.

Re: Memphis sessions Question #2

Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 pm

MIKEMORAN wrote:Hi, are the undubbed masters on the new FTD From Elvis In Memphis (and Back In Memphis) just that or are they the complete replacement/repair vocal overdubs ?.

I ask the question because the undubbed 'Wearin' that loved on look' does not sound the same as the master.

I've not yet reviewed both CDs, but my guess is you are hearing the vocals before Elvis fixed them up.

Mon May 20, 2013 10:28 pm

That would make them the Unrepaired masters..i'm sure thats not correct.

Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 pm

MIKEMORAN wrote:That would make them the Unrepaired masters..i'm sure thats not correct.

Why don't you give some of the tracks an A-B test and get back to us with your results?

Thanks.

Mon May 20, 2013 10:37 pm

I did that with undubbed version of Wearin' That Loved On Look. Between 1:07 - 1:22 (which is the part that was used from the unrepaired master) sounds very different. The vocals dont match which leads me to believe that we have the Full vocal replacement/repair vocal and not the true undubbed master.

Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Acc. to Keith Flynn`s site it is the complete vocal replacement of the January 14 master...I`d say the undubbed replaced master..

Tue May 21, 2013 12:11 am

It was a work-in-progress so overdubs could have been done while waiting for Elvis to repair fix his vocals while some bouncing (premixes) to a track or tracks were already done and therefore no true undubbed master exists. Or not. lol..

Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Is "I'm Movin' On" (take 2/M) (with vocal replacement) found on FEIM FTD (Disc 2, track 14) the same one found on the 1999 Suspicious Minds Anthology release ?

Wed May 22, 2013 1:14 pm

No, the version on suspicious minds is an alternate spliced version.

Sat May 25, 2013 9:13 am

Juan Luis wrote:It was a work-in-progress so overdubs could have been done while waiting for Elvis to repair fix his vocals while some bouncing (premixes) to a track or tracks were already done and therefore no true undubbed master exists. Or not. lol..

Could you elaborate a bit. I'm listening to the many versions of "In The Ghetto" right now, and Chips sounds very serious about Elvis's vocals. Same thing These seem like "the" vocals. But there's nothing to indicate what's what. Same for a few other songs, as well.

What do you mean there is "no true undubbed master"? Undubbed with Elvis's vocals? The masters with scratch vocals do not exist? Is that what you're saying?

I was always under the impression that the several repairs got erased, save for the one they finally used. Now, I'm confused as to what was kept, and what was discarded. I understand Chips was as bad or worse at record-keeping as Sam Phillips . . .

rjm

Sat May 25, 2013 10:34 am

The purpose of these recording sessions was to get the instrumental backing done..Elvis vocal repairs/replacements were done later if necessary....if there was a track left..the vocals of Elvis from the previous recording sessions were kept..therefore we have outtakes of In The Ghetto. For the vocal replacements they had an extra track where the vocal replacement was recorded over and over again till they got it. If they had another extra track they probably kept "takes" of the replacements (see Gently On My Mind ?). The undubbed master would be the vocal replacement master take without the common dubs like vocal background, harmony vocals, strings , horns etc..please correct me when I am wrong.