Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis SACDs in stock: Elvis is Back and 24 Karat Hits

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:57 pm

clp1093hmv wrote:
L Ray wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:
L Ray wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:OK, to summarise. The Cd layer both the mono's and stereos are of excellent quality and certainly up with the CM's. The SACD layer gives just that little bit extra, less 'digital' and more analogue. If you have a decent SACD player I would say they are worth the money. BTW Stereo '57 is due to be released in mid January, could be interesting.

You have been very helpful. I might take the plunge. I'm thinking about it. Can't really go wrong. They will be worth at least the same amount on ebay in the near future is my guess. Thinking about maybe trying one of the CCR cd's also. My early Rolling Stones sound great in SACD. Those are the only ones I have.

If you take the plunge I would be interested in your comments. Yes, the Stones set was pretty damn good! You're right can't see these losing money, limited distribution and they do look superb!

Yeah I'm moving closer to doing it. Sometimes I need to think about it for awhile. How long did it take for your order to arrive?

About 4 days

Okay I just ordered both of them. Also CCR Willy and the Poorboys to get the free shipping. I wanted to check out of of their's anyway. Should get next week. I will post after they arrive.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 am

If the SACD of "24 Karat Hits" contain the same mastering as the 45RPM vinyl release I'm not interessted. This release contains the worst sounding Heartbreak Hotel ever. The mastering of this release lacks the warmth and depth that the Steve Hoffman release has. I was very dissapointed when I heard it.
Anyone who knows if it contains the same mastering?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 am

I picked up the 24k Hits SACD. Heartbreak Hotel sounds like it comes from a dub copy tape that is poorly compressed, poorly eq'd and has extra reverb. I'm not sure what happened, but I don't think they used the master tape for Heartbreak Hotel on this SACD. Heartbreak Hotel sounds absolutely awful on this collection. Puzzling. It's like they used an incorrect tape that was a compressed dubbed LP or 45 rpm production master. Poor tape research.

In contrast, the source for Heartbreak Hotel on recent Legacy CDs, such as Elvis 75, sounds phenomenal.
Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:10 am

Elvis says "I got it swingin'" and does a count it before "All Shook Up" on the SACD.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Mine came yesterday. I have not listened to the whole thing yet. So I will be back with comments later. The 'I got it swingin' comment and count in is pretty cool on All Shook Up.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:13 am

Both CD's sound great. Heartbreak Hotel is the only one that is hurting, not the first generation but I can live with it. As commented on earlier they do look really cool.

Do these sound better than the restored masters? They do sound really smooth and clear. Maybe slightly better in SACD compared to the new restored masters of the same material. I don't have nor have I ever heard the Hoffman CD's from the 90's. For me these SACD's are keepers and worth having. Some of best Elvis music is on these SACD's. The comment before All Shook Up is a nice little addition, especially knowing that we will probably never hear the sessions or any early takes. We also get a couple extra thumps at the beginning of Big Hunk O Love. These SACD's will be played often but the rest of you should not feel pressured to put down the $60 for them.

The company did a great job of packing them for shipping. The box was so big that I thought that maybe they had made a mistake and sent me the lp's. You can trust these guys to not damage anything with bubble wrap.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:33 pm

I received the 24 Karat Hits today and have listened to it once. I find a few of the 50s hits disappointing but as soon as the stereo tracks hits it's an entirely different experience. The 1960-1963 tracks have never sounded better and show the potential hi-res. They sound more focused and smoother than ever before with lots of low-level detail. The sound is not hard or bright in any way. If the Elvis Is Back SACD sounds just as good, it's a must buy.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 am

I listened to 24 Karat today. I agree mostly what's already been said here. For the most part they sound amazing. Of the mono tracks Heartbreak Hotel is the least impressive. Of the stereo masters Return To Sender is the least impressive. Too bad also that they got the tracklisting wrong (Love Me Tender and A Big Hunk Of Love switched places). Minor mistake though. The sound is bright but not too bright. There's clarity and depth in the sound. The sound is warm. Listening to these familiar tracks I began noticing new small little things thanks to the high resolution. IMO they are for the most part slightly superiour to the CM masters but you need a decent sound system to enjoy them in full. Not essential but a nice thing for audiophiles.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:18 am

For the PRICE of the complete masters on Sony, they SHOULD have been dual layer CD/SACD.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:18 am

The EIB is absolutely stunning sounding on SACD. One of my first Elvis albums back in the vinyl days and still one of my favorites. Listening to the SACD release is like finding the album again. Superb music and sound.

Sat May 25, 2013 1:15 am

July 9th release date: http://www.amazon.com/24-Karat-Hits-Elv ... cd_title_0

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Marko wrote:I listened to 24 Karat today. I agree mostly what's already been said here. For the most part they sound amazing. Of the mono tracks Heartbreak Hotel is the least impressive. Of the stereo masters Return To Sender is the least impressive. Too bad also that they got the tracklisting wrong (Love Me Tender and A Big Hunk Of Love switched places). Minor mistake though. The sound is bright but not too bright. There's clarity and depth in the sound. The sound is warm. Listening to these familiar tracks I began noticing new small little things thanks to the high resolution. IMO they are for the most part slightly superiour to the CM masters but you need a decent sound system to enjoy them in full. Not essential but a nice thing for audiophiles.

Just picked up my first Elvis SACD and agree wholeheartedly with the above comments.
The sound on all the 60's tracks bar Return to Sender is awesome.
I will be getting Elvis is Back on this evidence

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:53 am

This is all very interesting to me, guys!! Excuse my ignorance, but before I seen this topic, I'd never even heard of an SACD!!
I'd be interested in hearing the sound quality on them. Problem is, I only have a DVD/CD player, they play MP3 CDs, but do I need a blu-ray player to play them on??

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:10 am

sundial77 wrote:This is all very interesting to me, guys!! Excuse my ignorance, but before I seen this topic, I'd never even heard of an SACD!!
I'd be interested in hearing the sound quality on them. Problem is, I only have a DVD/CD player, they play MP3 CDs, but do I need a blu-ray player to play them on??

There are a limited number of blu ray players that play sacd, in the UK Pioneer, Sony and Denon make players but not all models will play them.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:03 pm

ttwii wrote:
sundial77 wrote:This is all very interesting to me, guys!! Excuse my ignorance, but before I seen this topic, I'd never even heard of an SACD!!

There are a limited number of blu ray players that play sacd, in the UK Pioneer, Sony and Denon make players but not all models will play them.

Ok, thank you.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Oppo or Cambridge makes Bluray players that will play just about any digital disc. SACD is arguably better than DVD-A in sound quality. It is a format that never really caught on thanks to MP3, iTunes and digital downloading taking over the world.