Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Favorite Song From MSG Show

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:15 am

"Never Been To Spain" (eve. show). He simply nails the song, and James' solo is red-hot.

"The impossible Dream"... "to flight the unbeatable foe...." I think not.
"Reconsider Baby".... There's just something missing. I can't put my finger on it. However, it always make me smile when he calls for the song and it is followed by several seconds of silence on stage, as though the band is saying: What? Really? And that is followed by a puzzled silence from the Garden crowd when he starts singing. Obviously, a lot of people didn't recognize the song.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:48 am

Being there in person at MSG and hearing "The Impossible Dream" must have been amazing. Totally unforgettable. "I Can't Stop Loving You," with its shouted opening, must have also been wonderful. These are my favorites from the evening show, with Trilogy a strong favorite from the afternoon show.

This is a great release and I'm happy with the improved "you are there" feel of the evening show. I am amused a bit by some posts here that act like they've never heard the show before. I knew these were great shows before this release.

What is lost today, because we're looking back, is how powerful these concerts were at the time they were performed. The 2001 opening, the fast intro and Elvis coming on stage to strobe like bursts of flashbulbs seems hackneyed today and everyone knows the theme but back then, it was new and it was the most exciting concert entrance, probably ever. To me, this album was an audio memory of what I experienced on November 5, 1971, in a show that was very similar for the first half hour or so.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:07 pm

The Impossible Dream and Never Been To Spain are my 2 favorites

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:31 pm

THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM!!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Allen Champion wrote:THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM!!

Welcome to FECC,Allen

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 pm

matinee:
That's All Right
Polk Salad Annie
Suspicious Minds
An American Trilogy

evening:
Proud Mary
Hound Dog
Can"t Stop Loving You
Last edited by ML4EP on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:17 pm

'Suspicious Minds'

Brian :D

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:54 pm

The Impossible Dream and For The Good Times (evening show). In the latter, James Burton's sweet notes after the first "lay your head upon my pillow" are just beautiful. The song also invokes memories of the car scene in Elvis On Tour where Elvis sings a few lines.

The studio version of FTGT is also a big favourite of mine. The harmonies are magical.

Steve Morse

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:00 pm

For The Good Times........

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm

For the Good times is a underrated song. The MSG versions are beautiful.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 pm

I think I'll Remember You is brilliantly sung. This, together with Reconsider Baby and The Impossible Dream to a lesser extent, is the highlight for me.