Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: if elvis had not made movies in the 60's

Tue May 17, 2011 8:21 pm

A lot bigger because he would have stayed ahead of the game and not had to play "catch up" by the end of the 60's.
Even if he would have followed the pattern of the 50's. In the 50's he did good movies, mixed with touring, good records and tv appearences.Why this changed i don't know. By the time he toured again in Sept 1970, it had been 13 YEARS since he toured last...what a shame. He never regained the popularity he once had. But, with all those years of exposure, the case could be made that he would have fizzled out too because "been there, done that" to the public.

Re: if elvis had not made movies in the 60's

Tue May 17, 2011 8:29 pm

I don't know if he would have been bigger the acts of the 60's probably would have been more popular than him because they were new.

It would have been better for Elvis' career in the long term if he had recorded better songs throughout the decade rather than the movie soundtracks.

How successful he would have been during the mid to late 60's depends on what songs he recorded in place of the soundtracks.

Re: if elvis had not made movies in the 60's

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:15 pm

He should played England as early as 1960, after the Sinatra show.

Re: if elvis had not made movies in the 60's

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:01 pm

GuitarKing wrote:A lot bigger because he would have stayed ahead of the game and not had to play "catch up" by the end of the 60's.
Even if he would have followed the pattern of the 50's. In the 50's he did good movies, mixed with touring, good records and tv appearences.Why this changed i don't know. By the time he toured again in Sept 1970, it had been 13 YEARS since he toured last...what a shame. He never regained the popularity he once had. But, with all those years of exposure, the case could be made that he would have fizzled out too because "been there, done that" to the public.



Elvis had dreams of becoming a serious actor, and although we moan about a lot of his 60's movies, they did make a lot of $$$$... Check out "Elvis Movie Statistics"... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55990&hilit=movie+statistics

Elvis and Parker were making a lot of money, but Elvis had no opportunity to develop into a good dramatic actor as long as he was under Parker.

Siegel, the director of Flaming Star...

“I’m not necessarily running down Colonel Parker, because he’s handled Elvis extremely well because Elvis is such a successful star, but he has not handled Elvis well as far as being an acting star. Elvis is kind of a joke in the industry as an actor.” - Don Siegel (1971)

Producer Hal Wallis had a major role on what kind of films Elvis made. Wallis never considered developing Elvis’s acting ability. Even after Elvis showed dramatic potential in King Creole, Wallis still didn’t believe Elvis could carry a movie without music.

With Parker and Wallis unwilling to nurture Elvis's dramatic aspirations, it’s no wonder that the dream soon began to fade for Elvis.

Image
Elvis, Tennessee Williams, Parker, Laurence Harvey and Wallis.

Re: if elvis had not made movies in the 60's

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:02 am

He needed to fail in order to have a comeback becasue if he had continuing success, The Beatles would have knocked him on his ass eventually anyway. He needed to take a backseat. The end result is his legacy as the greatest ever.

Re: if elvis had not made movies in the 60's

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:36 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:He needed to fail in order to have a comeback becasue if he had continuing success, The Beatles would have knocked him on his ass eventually anyway. He needed to take a backseat. The end result is his legacy as the greatest ever.


You can't "fail" if you don't try.

rjm

Re: if elvis had not made movies in the 60's

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:40 am

rjm wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:He needed to fail in order to have a comeback becasue if he had continuing success, The Beatles would have knocked him on his ass eventually anyway. He needed to take a backseat. The end result is his legacy as the greatest ever.


You can't "fail" if you don't try.

rjm

rjm I think you just made the first post of the new year! in my time zone anyway (Indianapolis)!

Re: if elvis had not made movies in the 60's

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:48 am

promiseland wrote:
rjm wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:He needed to fail in order to have a comeback becasue if he had continuing success, The Beatles would have knocked him on his ass eventually anyway. He needed to take a backseat. The end result is his legacy as the greatest ever.


You can't "fail" if you don't try.

rjm

rjm I think you just made the first post of the new year! in my time zone anyway (Indianapolis)!


Yippee!!

(Technically, it's not the New Year here yet, but I go by the Times Square time. But I'll go for first post of Central Time! Sure! :D )

rjm
(Glad you changed the subject; it keeps on coming back. I recently found out about the "Rick Roll" phenomenon, but I couldn't allow myself to do it . . . in those threads! I had a few sips of champagne tonight, though, so thanks for changing the subject, otherwise it was gonna be "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you go . . .")