Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"If You Talk In Your Sleep"

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:37 pm

I find this recording one of Elvis' best from the 1970's. In this case, the overdubbed strings,horns and background vocals were crucial (well produced by Jarvis) to the song's funky arrangement. The only fault I find is the (what seems to me) glorification of adultery in the lyrics. Maybe too close for comfort? ::rocks
Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: "If You Talk In Your Sleep"

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Juan Luis wrote:I find this recording one of Elvis' best from the 1970's. in this case, the overdubbed strings,horns and background vocals were crucial (well produced by Jarvis) to the song's funky arrangement. The only fault I find is the (what seems to me) glorification of adultery in the lyrics. Maybe too close for comfort? ::rocks

+1 but don't try to preach morality around here the masses will stone u or make fun of you !

Scott Ray

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:07 pm

I've always liked this song too, written by Elvis' longtime friend Red West. It's a good addition to the promised land album and I agree a great 1970's funky sound. I also like the live versions from the august/september 1974 Vegas engagement in which Elvis did a karate demonstration during the introduction of the song, must of been great to watch. I think the best version's we have soundwise are on FTD's Nevada nights 19/08/1974 OS (first live version) and on the bootleg cd black angels in Vegas by Venus from 30/08/1974 MS.

phpBB [video]

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:17 pm

I enjoy the mix found on Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5... very clean, little reverb on his voice.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:45 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I enjoy the mix found on Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5... very clean, little reverb on his voice.

Thanks will listen to that version, not listened to golden records vol.5 in a longtime.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:14 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I enjoy the mix found on Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5... very clean, little reverb on his voice.

Which edition of GR5 do you have?
The "remastered" edition [with bonus tracks] from 1997, featured the remix taken from the 70's masters.
The earlier original incarnation [from 1984], is also said to include another remix [Dick Bogert], but alas, I've yet to hear it.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 pm

The early 80s version is the best :smt023
Fantastic mix 8)

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:

The "remastered" edition [with bonus tracks] from 1997, featured the remix taken from the 70's masters.
The earlier original incarnation [from 1984], is also said to include another remix [Dick Bogert], but alas, I've yet to hear it.

The original edition from 1984... the LP and CD... although not having it with me, I can't recall if the CD actually came out in 1984... it does have the same mix as the LP though... it is definitely not the 1997 issue.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:40 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

The original edition from 1984... the LP and CD... although not having it with me, I can't recall if the CD actually came out in 1984... it does have the same mix as the LP though... it is definitely not the 1997 issue.

I just managed to pick up the 1984 Deary/Bogert edition [a 1990 reissue] for a couple of pounds, so will look forward to receiving/hearing this. Strangely, I think the rear cover artwork [a late '72 concert image, I believe] actually works better, compared to the '97 version.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:57 am

even though this song seems to be about adultery I like to think that there is "double meaning" for him being a DEA agent and sneaking off doing undercover missions..

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:19 pm

The 1984 mix with Elvis laughing on the fade-out is the best version. The sly laugh Elvis gives makes you think Elvis would actually tell a women all these things (If you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name...if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came).

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Sorry Juan Luis, never liked this song.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Its in nice quality on the newley releases box set of ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS 5CD 2011, also a decent vocal on take 5 on TT&F box set 2003, without the horns of course, but yes it does need them, can the 84 version be found today on something ?

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:50 pm

dennyelvis wrote:Its in nice quality on the newley releases box set of ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS 5CD 2011, also a decent vocal on take 5 on TT&F box set 2003, without the horns of course, but yes it does need them, can the 84 version be found today on something ?

Not that I'm aware of.
If you search "Elvis Gold Records 5" [Amazon.co.uk] you can pick up a 1990 U.S. import reissue [of the '84 edition] for very little money.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Falton has his share of critics due to excessive overdubs, and I am sometimes one of them, but here he did real good.
Cool, funky track made better by the additions. I wish he had made more of this type of material, particularly at Stax.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:32 pm

rickeap wrote:Falton has his share of critics due to excessive overdubs, and I am sometimes one of them, but here he did real good.
Cool, funky track made better by the additions. I wish he had made more of this type of material, particularly at Stax.

A period concept album of this kind of material would have been most welcome, for sure.
But, as was neatly pointed out by SLGM in an earlier thread, it's possible, with a little rejigging, to compile a fairly cohesive "Elvis does funk" collection from Stax '73.
See here --> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45533#p623722

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 pm

A funky departure from sad songs and overblown ballads...still, one of his most dated songs. Very 70s, Shaft type sound and vibe (though not nearly as funky musically).

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:22 pm

bquick wrote:A funky departure from sad songs and overblown ballads...still, one of his most dated songs. Very 70s, Shaft type sound and vibe (though not nearly as funky musically).

The same can be said about "I Got A Feeling In My Body", even more so.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:28 pm

elvis-fan wrote:[color=#800000]The original edition from 1984... the LP and CD... I can't recall if the CD actually came out in 1984

It did.....my very first Elvis cd :D

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:43 pm

I also have these from 84 Elvis Presley The Collection Volume 1 - 4

That's All Right
Heartbreak Hotel
I Was The One
Blue Suede Shoes
My Baby Left Me
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
Hound Dog
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me Tender
Love Me
All Shook Up
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley For Me
One Night
Loving You

Teddy Bear
Party
Jailhouse Rock
Don't
King Creole
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
A Big Hunk O'Love
A Fool Such As I
My Wish Came True
I Got Stung
It's Now Or Never
Stuck On You
The Girl Of My Best Friend
A Mess Of Blues
Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Wooden Heart
Surrender
Wild In The Country
Can't Help Falling In Love
Rock A Hula Baby
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
Follow That Dream
Good Luck Charm
She's Not You
Return To Sender
(You're The) Devil In Disguise
Bossa Nova Baby
Such A Night
Crying In The Chapel
Love Letters

Guitar Man
US Male
If I Can Dream
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
Don't Cry Daddy
The Wonder Of You
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
There Goes My Everything
Rags To Riches
I Just Can't Help Believin'
An American Trilogy
Burning Love
Always On My Mind
It's Only Love

anything of interest in the mixes on these early cd releases ?

Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Love the song, and love '84 mix, its my favourite mix too !

Disappointed when I heard the 70's box version with that horrible digital reverb.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:29 am

The very 1st thing I have noticed while hearing these nice 84 pressings was the Original MIX and not edited out long Piano Intro on RAGS TO RICHES !

Very nice to hear.

Also it incl. the Original Spliced Master of A Big Hunk O Love. !!

Don't Cry Daddy MONO MASTER !

Suspicious Minds Overdub Version
And ALL without this LOUDNESS WAR
etc etc

dennyelvis wrote:I also have these from 84 Elvis Presley The Collection Volume 1 - 4

That's All Right
Heartbreak Hotel
I Was The One
Blue Suede Shoes
My Baby Left Me
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
Hound Dog
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me Tender
Love Me
All Shook Up
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley For Me
One Night
Loving You

Teddy Bear
Party
Jailhouse Rock
Don't
King Creole
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
A Big Hunk O'Love
A Fool Such As I
My Wish Came True
I Got Stung
It's Now Or Never
Stuck On You
The Girl Of My Best Friend
A Mess Of Blues
Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Wooden Heart
Surrender
Wild In The Country
Can't Help Falling In Love
Rock A Hula Baby
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
Follow That Dream
Good Luck Charm
She's Not You
Return To Sender
(You're The) Devil In Disguise
Bossa Nova Baby
Such A Night
Crying In The Chapel
Love Letters

Guitar Man
US Male
If I Can Dream
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
Don't Cry Daddy
The Wonder Of You
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
There Goes My Everything
Rags To Riches
I Just Can't Help Believin'
An American Trilogy
Burning Love
Always On My Mind
It's Only Love

anything of interest in the mixes on these early cd releases ?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:34 am

Daryl wrote:The 1984 mix with Elvis laughing on the fade-out is the best version.

I've not heard the 1984 mix but certainly the original 1974 mix contains the laugh too.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:47 am

I've not heard this mix nor do I know where it's from...

phpBB [video]

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:32 am

flamingstar81 wrote:I've always liked this song too, written by Elvis' longtime friend Red West. It's a good addition to the promised land album and I agree a great 1970's funky sound. I also like the live versions from the august/september 1974 Vegas engagement in which Elvis did a karate demonstration during the introduction of the song, must of been great to watch. I think the best version's we have soundwise are on FTD's Nevada nights 19/08/1974 OS (first live version) and on the bootleg cd black angels in Vegas by Venus from 30/08/1974 MS.

phpBB [video]

Well the karate he did to this song was spectacular in the concert that I saw on tv. 8)