Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Single version of Life

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 am

Well, I'm not going to pretend that I have an opinion far superior to anyone else's or to tell other people how they should feel about something...

But the lyrics of "Life" do in fact cover the Biblical concepts of Creation, the Fall, and the Crucifixion, or if you like the giving of life, the entrance of death, and the restoration of God's plan. Of course, Carp will tell you the song is not about the gospel, but you can decide for yourself.

What has always intrigued me is the mix of (at the time) newer concepts mixed in with the familiar Biblical themes - the origin of God himself and hints of neo-Darwinism among them, which is a shame. This detracts from the song IMO but still an interesting song nevertheless.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:08 am

stevelecher wrote:Anyone who hasn't heard the single is going to be disappointed with "the different ending." Elvis doesn't make that strange "Er" sound he makes on the LP version.

It's probably been mixed out or something.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:59 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Anyone who hasn't heard the single is going to be disappointed with "the different ending." Elvis doesn't make that strange "Er" sound he makes on the LP version.

It's probably been mixed out or something.

Here's the single mix of "Life" for those of you who haven't heard it yet:
LIFE (Single Mix)

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:20 am

Link still not working Jimmy.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:00 am

promiseland wrote:Link still not working Jimmy.

Shoot! How 'bout now?
LIFE

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 am

dannyboy1 wrote:Well, I'm not going to pretend that I have an opinion far superior to anyone else's or to tell other people how they should feel about something...

But the lyrics of "Life" do in fact cover the Biblical concepts of Creation, the Fall, and the Crucifixion, or if you like the giving of life, the entrance of death, and the restoration of God's plan. Of course, Carp will tell you the song is not about the gospel, but you can decide for yourself.

What has always intrigued me is the mix of (at the time) newer concepts mixed in with the familiar Biblical themes - the origin of God himself and hints of neo-Darwinism among them, which is a shame. This detracts from the song IMO but still an interesting song nevertheless.

I will never claim "Life" does not feature quasi-religious overtones, but I will always state that it is not a gospel song.

Because it is not a gospel song, period.

Thank you.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 am

dannyboy1 wrote:Well, I'm not going to pretend that I have an opinion far superior to anyone else's or to tell other people how they should feel about something...

What doesn't "Life" cover, exactly? :smt005

"Life"
Somewhere out in empty space,
long before the human race,
Something stirred,
A vast and timeless source began,
Intelligence was born and then,
there was the word,
Powers filled the universe,
matter formed and broke the curse,
Of nothingness,
Love became an ageless soul,
nature reached her highest goal,
And breathed the breath of life,
Everlasting life.
Well creatures come from out of sight,
Daylight came from in the night,
and all was good,
Life became a masterplan,
Love produced the perfect man,
that understood,
The image of the maker's word,
worshipped him with all he had,

But then one day,
From in the depths an evil seed,
grew and manufactured greed,
That changed the way of life,
Everlasting life,
Oh the loving power looked and saw,
Inside the heart of man a flaw,
began to grow,
Well, the fires of hell began to burn,
and so he sent his chosen son,
To let us know,
That love had surely made us all,
and hate would surely make us fall,
So from the cross,
Well he showed the world that dreadful day,
That love could be the only way,
or all is lost of life,
Everlasting life,
For life is love,
And love is life.

First, "something stirred." And then, EVERYTHING else happened. Not necessarily in any particular order.

rjm

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 am

JimmyCool wrote:

Shoot! How 'bout now?
LIFE

Bingo! Thanks my red blooded friend!

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 pm

promiseland wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:

Shoot! How 'bout now?
LIFE

Doesn't work for me - either it loses connection or it's "temporarily unavailable"... :?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:47 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
promiseland wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:

Shoot! How 'bout now?
LIFE

Doesn't work for me - either it loses connection or it's "temporarily unavailable"... :?

Make sure you go to top right of the page, and click on the "20.2 MB" box just under the yellow "Follow" button, you'll have to swipe mouse under it to see it.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:24 pm

promiseland wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:
promiseland wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:

Shoot! How 'bout now?
LIFE

Make sure you go to top right of the page, and click on the "20.2 MB" box just under the yellow "Follow" button, you'll have to swipe mouse under it to see it.

Goodness gracious... that helped! Thanks a lot, my friend! ::rocks

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
thermoking wrote:what is the difference between the single version of 'life' "and the LP version
it is the same take? or a differend mix?

As noted, it's apparently the same master, but the single is MONO and its ending is slightly different due to mixing.

Tony.. wrote:Can't say I've noticed a difference, but I'd guess the single was in mono. I really like this song. I know a lot of people here have a problem with this track but I don't know why.

I know why!

King Volcano wrote:I quite like it too. The lyrics are extra-naff which maybe puts people off it?.. but none of its lyrics are as bad as that line about baking a cake in The Next Step is Love.

Correct! They are far, far worse.

That the portentous and embarrassing "Life" was released by RCA Records as an Elvis Presley single A-side in May 1971, just 21 months after the great "Suspicious Minds," a Billboard U.S. Pop #1 in November 1969, tells you all you need to know about the sad decline of a blindingly brilliant artist.

Really? You get embarresed by a song? Does this happen often?

Yes. No. Never.

I am embarrassed for Elvis Presley, an artist of enormous skill, talent and influence, cutting such a terrible piece of material in the prime of his mature comeback, and for RCA Records and Presley management, who decided "Life" was a viable single A-side.

But please do not let these realities spoil your deep love for and devotion to "Life."

Are the lyrics to "Life" more embarassing to you than the lyrics of a 'classic' such as "Hound dog"????

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Tony.. wrote:Are the lyrics to "Life" more embarassing [sic] to you than the lyrics of a 'classic' such as "Hound dog"????

:D

That's a no-brainer.

"Life"
Written by Shirl Milete

"Hound Dog"
Written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller

Note that the lyric in Elvis' RCA single was not entirely written by Jerry Lieber, but "updated" for comic effect by Freddie Bell and the Bellboys when Elvis caught their act in Las Vegas in early 1956. In particular, this verse was "new":

"You ain't never caught a rabbit, you ain't no friend of mine"

Leiber is on record as stating ""I'd never write such a dumb line."
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/23/local/la-me-jerry-leiber-20110823

Original lyric, as recorded by Big Mama Thornton:

Hound Dog
Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller
© 1952 Lion Publishing Company, BMI

You ain't nothing but a hound dog
Been snoopin' round my door
You can wag your tail
But I ain't gonna feed you no more

You told me you was high class
But I could see through that
Well, you told me you was high class
But I could see through that
And baby I know
You ain't no real cool cat

You just an old hound dog
You can wag your tail

Aw, play that thing, boy
Aw, you just an old hound dog, a-woof!
Aw, just a hound dog
Aw, hear that old hound dog howl
Ah, tell it like it is!
Ah, make me feel good
Aw, do the mess around
Now wag your tail
Aw, get it!
Aw, get it, get it, get it

You made me feel so blue
You made me weep and moan
You made me feel so blue
You made me, made me weep and moan
'Cause you ain't looking for a woman
All your lookin' is for a home

You can wag your tail

530300_Peacock 1612_Thornton.JPG

phpBB [video]

Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton, "Hound Dog" (Peacock 1612, March 1953)
With Kansas City Bill & Orch., Billboard US R&B #1 April 18, 1953.

What a CLASSIC song indeed, in both Thornton's #1 R&B original, and Presley's #1 rock 'n' roll cover.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about a-tall. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

When you go for the bigger targets, and there is no bigger target than life itself, you tend to whiff in a bigger way and that's what happened here.