Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' greatest studio recording session ?

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:01 am

Which studio recording session do you consider Elvis' greatest from the standpoint of sustained creative effort and success ?
Of all his legendary studio recording sessions, which single one session mattered the most in his legacy ?
Which one beats all others ?

Re: Elvis' greatest studio recording session ?

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:20 am

Pretty sure we discussed this before, but ...

oh, go on then ...

2nd July 1956, New York.

Unmatched: artistically, creatively, socially, financially, historically, musically and vocally.

In my opinion.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:39 am

I'll say June 10/11 58 on furlough the new for Elvis studio b. Big hunk and I got stung along with the fast and slow ain't that loving you baby. Yep that's ready on the firing line!

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:45 am

George Smith wrote:Pretty sure we discussed this before, but ...

oh, go on then ...

2nd July 1956, New York.

Unmatched: artistically, creatively, socially, financially, historically, musically and vocally.

In my opinion.

Indeed. Make that two of us:

July 2, 1956 --> Greatest Recording Session of All?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46497

Strong runner-ups:

July 11, 1955
I Forgot to Remember to Forget
Mystery Train
Tryin' To Get To You

April 30, 1957
Jailhouse Rock
Treat Me Nice
Young And Beautiful

April 3-4, 1960
Fever
Like A Baby
It's Now Or Never
The Girl Of My Best Friend
Dirty, Dirty Feeling
Thrill Of Your Love
I Gotta Know
Such A Night
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
The Girl Next Door Went A-Walkin'
I Will Be Home Again
Reconsider Baby

February 19, 1969
Kentucky Rain
Only The Strong Survive

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:56 am

Kylan wrote:I'll say June 10/11 58 on furlough the new for Elvis studio b. Big hunk and I got stung along with the fast and slow ain't that loving you baby. Yep that's ready on the firing line!

:smt001 That's my favourite of the greatest, but I agree with George and John, although I wouldn't be able to pick between the '56 & '55 mentioned.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:59 am

King Volcano wrote:
Kylan wrote:I'll say June 10/11 58 on furlough the new for Elvis studio b. Big hunk and I got stung along with the fast and slow ain't that loving you baby. Yep that's ready on the firing line!

:smt001 That's my favourite of the greatest, but I agree with George and John, although I wouldn't be able to pick between the '56 & '55 mentioned.

Ya July 56 was taken and personal like took over lol

Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:06 am

Very hard for me as well, but probably go for:

April 3-4, 1960
Fever
Like A Baby
It's Now Or Never
The Girl Of My Best Friend
Dirty, Dirty Feeling
Thrill Of Your Love
I Gotta Know
Such A Night
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
The Girl Next Door Went A-Walkin'
I Will Be Home Again
Reconsider Baby

There was just so much artistically achieved during this session. Elvis' voice was fabulous. Elvis went from rock 'n' roll to opera-style crooning, blues, and we have classics like Fever, Such A Night and Are You Lonesome Tonight in there...

Was it ever that good again, I wonder. Perhaps in 1969 with the Suspicious Minds session?

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:44 am

"Which mattered most to his legacy" was part of the question, and so the 1969 sessions in Memphis are the key ones here. Without those to back up the success of the 1968 TV show, we probably wouldn't even be having this chat, and this forum probably wouldn't exist. Without those bonafide hits, and those wonderful albums, in 1969, Elvis would be viewed today as simply the best of the 50s rock n rollers, but one who fell into movies and never recovered his popularity.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:56 am

I'd vote for July 5, 1954 for "That's All Right" alone. But July 2, 1956 is a really great choice.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:35 am

July 5 1954
July 2 1956
April 3-4 1960
January-February 1969
March 1972

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 am

I have to go with the American Sound sessions, if only because he put so much effort into it, and really enjoyed it so much, after such a dry spell in his recording life. He was reborn, as a recording artist. Now, how many artists get to that point, fully realized? And the results are so good, they are alarming. He also was keeping a promise. He only sang what he believed in. That was the principal consideration. After years of bowing and scraping, he was "Elvis Unchained" in the studio. Standing tall, triumphant, as "the plantation burned," you might say. (Okay, okay. I saw that movie last night, so I'm still stoked. ;) )

Some of the 50s sessions that were extraordinary came more easily, so I take that into account. This was one time, one of the very last times, when he really gave it his all. In many respects, the sessions were unique. I think the material will only grow in significance as time moves on. At any rate, those winter nights mean more to me, personally, as an admirer than any others. But I can't single out a single day. He was quite consistent! These sessions took place over two different months, and the quality is extraordinary.

Did he change history with the tracks? Naw. But to me, this history-changing performer did his best, then. And that surely counts for something.

Cool topic, brimming with positive vibes! :D

rjm (July 2, 56 was perfect, true. Just real different.)
Last edited by rjm on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:46 am

The Stax Sessions July & December 1973. Hands down.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:08 am

TCB-FAN wrote:The Stax Sessions July & December 1973. Hands down.

Now I'm disappointed. Somehow I expected things like June 10, 1971 and/or June 29, 1966 from you. :wink:

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:27 am

June 29, 1968 pre-arranged live jam in the TV-studio

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:56 am

I would say it would have to be July 2, 1956.

A few others that I like are:

June 10/11, 1958
January/February 1969
May 20, 1971
December 12, 1973

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:43 am

July 2nd 1956

Possibly the best of the best for me!

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:16 am

rjm wrote:I have to go with the American Sound sessions, if only because he put so much effort into it, and really enjoyed it so much, after such a dry spell in his recording life. He was reborn, as a recording artist. Now, how many artists get to that point, fully realized? And the results are so good, they are alarming. He also was keeping a promise. He only sang what he believed in. That was the principal consideration. After years of bowing and scraping, he was "Elvis Unchained" in the studio. Standing tall, triumphant, as "the plantation burned," you might say. (Okay, okay. I saw that movie last night, so I'm still stoked. ;) )

Some of the 50s sessions that were extraordinary came more easily, so I take that into account. This was one time, one of the very last times, when he really gave it his all. In many respects, the sessions were unique. I think the material will only grow in significance as time moves on. At any rate, those winter nights mean more to me, personally, as an admirer than any others. But I can't single out a single day. He was quite consistent! These sessions took place over two different months, and the quality is extraordinary.

Did he change history with the tracks? Naw. But to me, this history-changing performer did his best, then. And that surely counts for something.

Perfect...........

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:21 am

debtd1 wrote:
rjm wrote:I have to go with the American Sound sessions, if only because he put so much effort into it, and really enjoyed it so much, after such a dry spell in his recording life. He was reborn, as a recording artist. Now, how many artists get to that point, fully realized? And the results are so good, they are alarming. He also was keeping a promise. He only sang what he believed in. That was the principal consideration. After years of bowing and scraping, he was "Elvis Unchained" in the studio. Standing tall, triumphant, as "the plantation burned," you might say. (Okay, okay. I saw that movie last night, so I'm still stoked. ;) )

Perfect...........

:D

rjm (Thank you! )

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:33 am

There are so many great recording sessions, how can I pick one at the expense of the others?

Elvis competes on an equal footing with Frank Sinatra during the April 1960 sessions that resulted in Elvis Is Back! His vocals are technical and mechanical perfection. Sinatra couldn't have phrased the lyrics any better. That's the highest compliment I can pay Elvis.

Then there's the other sessions some of you listed above.

It's impossible to pick one.