Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 20 Disc CD Collection Sound Quality

Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:10 pm

skatterbrane wrote:The next one in this series I am excited about: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG4E6XG/ref ... BH6U27KCYX

Hey, skatterbrane. First, a belated Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year, too. Second, I've read somewhere that the forthcoming soundtrack box uses the 2007 remasters. Has this been definitely confirmed by a reliable source?
Thank you.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Thank you and Happy New Year! I suspect that much of the soundtrack box will be 2007 masters for two reasons: 1. Most of the CDs have already been released with the 2007 masters, and for the ones that haven't, they have been unavailable for so long, I would think they would take the same masters they used on the CM set to make these CDS. (as they did with Elvis For Everyone on the 20 CD box)

These have either never been available before on CD or it has been so long since they have, I don't remember (FTD and Double Features notwithstanding):
It Happened At The World's Fair
Kissin' Cousins
Harum Scarum
Paradise Hawaiian Style
Spinout
Double Trouble
Speedway

I cannot imagine Sony would use anything BUT the readily available 2007 masters on these. And the others already have been issued with the 2007 masters individually on CD (except Loving You, Jailhouse Rock and King Creole). I am HOPING the proper original master of I Want To Be Free with the spliced ending is utilized on this collection.

On the Perfect 20 CD box, most of the albums have been around on CD for a long time (some discontinued, some not), and it seems they have used whatever masters were last used to make these CDs, except for some reason they went through the trouble of using the most updated masters for Elvis For Everyone (thankfully).

Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Skatterbrane, do you know if Welcome to My World use the 2007 masters like Elvis For Everyone?

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:59 pm

King Volcano wrote:All the info on this set is in the discography section of Keith Flynn's website.

Well, Keith says something like "new remasters used" but then on every album's description gives the impression that they're using "vintage" remasters, like Aloha from 1992, Good Times from 1994, Today from 1992...

You know the weird thing?? We keep praising those 2007 remasters and yet here we're not able to clearly spot wether they're using them or 20 (yes 20) years old remasters. Promised Land, Something For Everybody and Pot Luck were remixed in the upgraded forms. They are easy to spot, apart from the track listing. Today is easy to spot too, as the early 90's edition had a mistake at the end of Woman Without Love. Other "tricks" can be used if our ears fail us, like checking the dB level, or running times.

I don't have this set, but just ordered it, along with the new soundtrack one.

PS As a side note, Welcome To My World might better be the 1992 release, as it featured the original 1977 remixes, not the original mixes on 2007 masters. They're interesting, if only from an historic point of view

Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:47 pm

I'll admit I cannot easily tell the difference between these early-mid 90s CD and the 2007 masters when it comes to the 70s material. They are both using the original mixes so only occasionally can I hear a SLIGHT improvement in resolution on the 2007 masters, and to tell you the truth, I really don't care for much of anything after Elvis Country anyway, so I just do not listen to the post 1970 stuff much at all.

If you can tell me the "mistake" that is on Woman Without Love, maybe I can help out. But I highly suspect most of these 70s albums are masters from the early-mid 90s.

But I MUCH prefer the mixes used on the 2000 Promised Land and the 70s box over the original mixes anyway.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:02 pm

As far as I'm aware, ALL of the discs after (but not including) From Elvis in Memphis are the 2007 remasters with the exceptions of Promised Land, Moody Blue and possibly Today - I'm not sure about Today either way. Elvis for Everyone is the 2007 remaster as well. Elvis Presley (1956) is the Budd masters, and all the remaining albums are the extra tracks reissues from around 10-13 years ago.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:46 am

If someone would please tell me what the mastering mistake is on the end of Woman Without Love from the 1991 CD, I do not want to have to listen to this horrendous song over and over, and comparing my various editions to spot it. If I knew what I was listening for and where it occurs on the track I could report back which master is used on this box. I must have 5 copies of the Today CD to compare. And I have the CM copied to compare.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:31 am

skatterbrane wrote:If someone would please tell me what the mastering mistake is on the end of Woman Without Love from the 1991 CD, I do not want to have to listen to this horrendous song over and over, and comparing my various editions to spot it. If I knew what I was listening for and where it occurs on the track I could report back which master is used on this box. I must have 5 copies of the Today CD to compare. And I have the CM copied to compare.

5 copies of the same album? why?!

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:32 am

skatterbrane wrote:If someone would please tell me what the mastering mistake is on the end of Woman Without Love from the 1991 CD, I do not want to have to listen to this horrendous song over and over, and comparing my various editions to spot it. If I knew what I was listening for and where it occurs on the track I could report back which master is used on this box. I must have 5 copies of the Today CD to compare. And I have the CM copied to compare.

I just checked my old CD of Today and the fault starts at around 3m15s: it's a kind of digital "scraping" sound for a few seconds. (Clearly audible on headphones, maybe not so much on speakers).

Terrible strings & backing vocals on that track, even by 1975 standards :( . I like most of the Today songs including that one but never listen to the lifetime-released versions.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:41 am

poormadpeter wrote:

5 copies of the same album? why?!

I am a collector. I collect CDs and in particular Elvis CDs, even if I loathe the material. If I find out about another mastering or mixing, I buy it. I want to have all the masters and mixes that are available from RCA/BMG/Sony/FTD. When I collected records, I would collect all the pressings I could. And this forum is "For Elvis CD Collectors" after all. It is not about "who did Elvis screw? or What jewelry did Elvis wear? or What suit was he wearing on January 23rd 1970, or did Elvis ever watch Hogan's Heroes" and so on. It is only the MUSIC that matters and on this forum the format is CDs. Oh, and those old news clippings about what the press, church and parents thought of Elvis in 1957 are hardly news. Anyone who knows anything about Elvis, knows what impact he had on society in the 50s.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:42 am

King Volcano wrote:

I just checked my old CD of Today and the fault starts at around 3m15s: it's a kind of digital "scraping" sound for a few seconds. (Clearly audible on headphones, maybe not so much on speakers).

Terrible strings & backing vocals on that track, even by 1975 standards :( . I like most of the Today songs including that one but never listen to the lifetime-released versions.

Thanks, I will see if I can hear it on my speakers. If I can, I will compare it to the 20 box set.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:55 am

I am sorry, I compared my 1996 "The Original Elvis Presley Collection" version which states: "Digital Mastering at BMG Studios, New York City, November 1991" to my CM version and I cannot detect that "scraping" maybe it is at a frequency higher than my old man capabilities of 13Kz. But I CAN tell you that either version sounds very grainy and in rather poor quality like the tapes have been deteriorating or something.

I have never owned headphones, so I cannot listen that way to compare them.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:06 am

skatterbrane wrote:I am sorry, I compared my 1996 "The Original Elvis Presley Collection" version which states: "Digital Mastering at BMG Studios, New York City, November 1991" to my CM version and I cannot detect that "scraping" maybe it is at a frequency higher than my old man capabilities of 13Kz. But I CAN tell you that either version sounds very grainy and in rather poor quality like the tapes have been deteriorating or something.

I have never owned headphones, so I cannot listen that way to compare them.

Mine with the fault is a German ND prefix one. Oh well :)

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:20 am

Who knows, maybe they fixed that problem with subsequent pressings? They have fixed things before without redoing the entire album. Noteworthy are some mistakes on Elv1s and 2nd To None were fixed on subsequent pressings. Anyway, I really cannot tell much difference between my various copies of Today. Sometimes I think the CM version is smoother, and the 90s version is a bit more etched, but maybe that is just my imagination. Not enough difference that I would care.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:20 am

King Volcano wrote:Skatterbrane, do you know if Welcome to My World use the 2007 masters like Elvis For Everyone?

It certainly does not seem so. The mixes and masters are different on many I have compared. Including Your Cheatin' Heart, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry and Release Me. Some are obvious, others not as much. Release Me has a LOT of echo. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry is different from both the current Aloha Legacy and the remixed one by Ferrante from 1998 in that Jame's guitar is center on the Legacy, slightly to the left on 1998 Ferrante and hard left on this one, and the most prominent of the three.

And every issue I have seen, including the original LP has labeled Make The World Go Away "Live" by mistake.

The original LP had the master take 10 of Your Cheatin' Heart, as does this one, but is sounds funky, almost like it was returned to mono from a ERS master. Where on Elvis For Everyone from this box, Your Cheatin' Heart never sounded better! I understand the original issue of this CD had the alternate take 9 of Your Cheatin' Heart.....can anyone confirm this?

This is what I find interesting, hunting down the various mixes and masters through the years, that is why I have several copies of the same title in many cases. All three versions of Elvis For Everyone are totally different from each other. In fact the 1990 version has an alternate take of In My Way by mistake, and a ERS version of Sound Advice.

It seems that in most cases of 70s material, whether it is live or studio, the 2007 "lifetime masters" have Elvis' voice the most recessed when there is a difference at all. Other masters on CD through the years tends to put Elvis' voice more upfront.