Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Difference between Las Vegas and Sahara Tahoe engagements?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:40 pm

I am sorry if this subject was discussed before, but are any major differences in the 70's betweeen Vegas and Tahoe engagements? Some said that Elvis was more relaxed in Tahoe even he didn't like the high altitude. He had a bigger salary in Tahoe and I think that's all. I wonder the Colonel why he booked Elvis in Tahoe for 4 years (1971, 1973, 1974 and 1976)? Las Vegas wasn't enough?

Re: Difference between Las Vegas and Sahara Tahoe engagement

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:05 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:I am sorry if this subject was discussed before, but are any major differences in the 70's betweeen Vegas and Tahoe engagements? Some said that Elvis was more relaxed in Tahoe even he didn't like the high altitude. He had a bigger salary in Tahoe and I think that's all. I wonder the Colonel why he booked Elvis in Tahoe for 4 years (1971, 1973, 1974 and 1976)? Las Vegas wasn't enough?

You have answered your own question.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Elvis enjoyed the more intimate atmosphere in Lake Tahoe in contrary to the frantic Las Vegas.
Also his performances were always on a higher level in Tahoe compared to Vegas in the respective
years also featuring many rarities. Even the 1976 Tahoe shows belonged to the highlights of this more
or less disappointing year in Elvis career. He was very committed and delivered the best he was able to at this time. He really took it seriously.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Thank you
Last edited by jurasic1968 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:50 pm

I am very glad to read this comment. I know that the Closing night in Tahoe may 9 1976 was his longest concert ever. Some said it was better that even the December 31 1976 Pittsburgh show. I only listened to only the latest. So maybe the may 9 1976 can be considered the best Elvis concert in the period 1975-1977 (i never had the chance to listen to it and i want so much to have a copy of this magic night)

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 pm

I would love to hear a soundboard of a Tahoe 1971 show.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I was never at a Tahoe show, but listening to the CDs the audiences often sound incredibly raucous and kind of Saturday-night crude in a way I've never heard at Vegas. In one of the shows doesn't Elvis say something like "You notice I'm standing right at the back of the stage - scared of the audience that's why..." One of his true words spoken in jest??

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 am

jurasic1968 wrote:I am very glad to read this comment. I know that the Closing night in Tahoe may 9 1976 was his longest concert ever. Some said it was better that even the December 31 1976 Pittsburgh show. I only listened to only the latest. So maybe the may 9 1976 can be considered the best Elvis concert in the period 1975-1977 (i never had the chance to listen to it and i want so much to have a copy of this magic night)

It's good for the period but the end of year tour is far more energetic.