Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis and Sam Philips -What Happened?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:09 am

Does anybody know when Elvis last saw or spoke to Sam Phililps? I was watching a BBC news show the other day with Sam on it and he says that he was still in contact with Elvis just before he died,yet others like Marty Lacker have said that after he got out of the Army Elvis didn't go and see Sam anymore,said Elvis said he didn't want to.
Did they have a falling out?

Re: Elvis and Sam Philips -What Happened?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:18 am

jacob wrote:Does anybody know when Elvis last saw or spoke to Sam Phililps? I was watching a BBC news show the other day with Sam on it and he says that he was still in contact with Elvis just before he died,yet others like Marty Lacker have said that after he got out of the Army Elvis didn't go and see Sam anymore,said Elvis said he didn't want to.
Did they have a falling out?

Both people could be strong-willed, and Sam almost always spoke his mind. After the army, it would be unsurprising if Phillips had not mentioned the poor quality of the film songs or the like. Elvis didn't need to hear that.

However, when Presley mounted his stage comeback in July 1969, Sam was one of the people Elvis personally called to be there in Las Vegas on July 31, opening night. Sam advised him not to worry, and make sure the rhythm section was kicking his butt. In other words, keep your guitar-bass-drums near you. Elvis did exactly that in his stage set-up and it worked beautifully.

After the show, backstage in the early hours of August 1, 1969, Sam also told him "Memories" killed the pacing, and he was right. The arrangement and placement were less than ideal. Following the comeback at the International, it's unclear if they ever again met.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:31 am

I wonder if Sam Phillips caught a show where Elvis sang Mystery Train/ Tiger Man? 2 songs credited to Phillips as co-writer (as Burns on Tiger Man of course).

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:36 am

kevinstevenage wrote:I wonder if Sam Phillips caught a show where Elvis sang Mystery Train/ Tiger Man? 2 songs credited to Phillips as co-writer (as Burns on Tiger Man of course).

Yes, the opening night show on July 31, 1969.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:37 am

Yes perhaps it was embarresment on Elvis' part due to the films and soundtrack music.
Marty Lacker said that the only time Sam mentioned Elvis to him(1970s) was when he asked "where Elvis was getting those Shitty songs from."
Sam has also said that if Elvis had stayed with him he would have cut alot more records with him.
Marty also says Sam's drinking may have been a factor as well.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:40 am

Mike C wrote:
kevinstevenage wrote:I wonder if Sam Phillips caught a show where Elvis sang Mystery Train/ Tiger Man? 2 songs credited to Phillips as co-writer (as Burns on Tiger Man of course).

I believe he did that medley on 1st August, did he perform it on the opening night too?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:42 am

What would really be the point of Elvis hanging around Sam Phillips after Sun records.

They had a professional relationship and once it ended was there really much reason for Elvis to see Sam Phillips.

I think it's probably true that Sam Phillips exaggerated his relationship with Elvis when he said they stayed in touch and that he continued to be a mentor.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:47 am

kevinstevenage wrote:
Mike C wrote:

I believe he did that medley on 1st August, did he perform it on the opening night too?

Well, we don't have an audio recording to back it up but it is almost certain he sang it.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:54 am

brian wrote:What would really be the point of Elvis hanging around Sam Phillips after Sun records.

They had a professional relationship and once it ended was there really much reason for Elvis to see Sam Phillips.

I think it's probably true that Sam Phillips exaggerated his relationship with Elvis when he said they stayed in touch and that he continued to be a mentor.

Elvis hung around quite a bit after leaving Sun in November 1955.

Beyond personal testimonials, Elvis is seen with Sun 12" envelopes on the train from New York to Memphis in July 1956, he is photographed at 706 Union the following September, he jams there in December with Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis, is filmed and photographed hanging at Sam's house in April and September of 1957, and when his mom dies in August 1958 Sam is one of the people he speaks with during his period of grieving. Phillips once worked as a mortician, and helped gently answer Elvis' query as to what happens when someone is embalmed.

That sure sounds like they stayed in touch, and that Sam remained a mentor to him.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:What would really be the point of Elvis hanging around Sam Phillips after Sun records.

Elvis hung around quite a bit after leaving Sun in November 1955.

Beyond personal testimonials, Elvis is seen with Sun 12" envelopes on the train from New York to Memphis in July 1956, he is photographed at 706 Union the following September, he jams there in December with Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis, is filmed and photographed hanging at Sam's house in April and September of 1957, and when his mom dies in August 1958 Sam is one of the people he speaks with during his period of grieving. Phillips once worked as a mortician, and helped gently answer Elvis' query as to what happens when someone is embalmed.

That sure sounds like they stayed in touch, and that Sam remained a mentor to him.

Did they stay in the 60's and 70's?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:05 am

brian wrote:Did they stay in the 60's and 70's?

Stay what? Friends? I already answered that. Take a peek at post #2.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Sam Phillips was a really charismatic person. I would have loved to have a beer with him and talk about music.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Technically, you said nothing about them being friends. Just because they contacted each other once in a while after Elvis was signed to RCA, doesn't mean they were good friends still or ever were friends to begin with. Didn't Sam go to the press conference where he questioned Elvis out of the blue in front of everyone about why he wasn't getting any credit for Elvis' career, yet Col. Parker was getting all of the attention? That's sounds like Sam was in the same boat with Bill Black, Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana as far as credits go. Elvis was very hesitant with his response to the question and didn't really even answer. Maybe they were on okay terms later on in their lives where they tried to reach out to each other, but that doesn't mean that they were are fantastic terms.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Technically, you said nothing about them being friends. Just because they contacted each other once in a while after Elvis was signed to RCA, doesn't mean they were good friends still or ever were friends to begin with. Didn't Sam go to the press conference where he questioned Elvis out of the blue in front of everyone about why he wasn't getting any credit for Elvis' career, yet Col. Parker was getting all of the attention? That's sounds like Sam was in the same boat with Bill Black, Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana as far as credits go. Elvis was very hesitant with his response to the question and didn't really even answer. Maybe they were on okay terms later on in their lives where they tried to reach out to each other, but that doesn't mean that they were are fantastic terms.

When did this happen?
Didn't Elvis credit Marion for discovering him and not Sam? When they met again when he was in the Army,didn't he tell the press they wouldn't be there if it wasn't for her?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Just watched the BBC Hardtalk Interview and Sam said he remembers the last time he saw Elvis.He said that Elvis had breakfast with him and his Ex Wife Becky at their house.He said it was a while before Elvis died but he commented on Elvis bloated appearence,so must have been sometime in the 70s.
He also said he knew at that time that Elvis had heart and Kidney problems!
He also said apart from Glady's he was the closest person to Elvis
Another thing he said was that if Elvis had stayed at Sun with him he would have been even bigger than he is today!

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:59 am

jacob wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

When did this happen?
Didn't Elvis credit Marion for discovering him and not Sam? When they met again when he was in the Army,didn't he tell the press they wouldn't be there if it wasn't for her?
I read the transcript and listened to the interview on the Australian Elvis site. Sam Philips was wondering why he never got much credit for what he did up until Elvis was signed to RCA. Not for discovering him, but for all the other stuff he did. Unless people were fully aware of Elvis being under Sam Philips or followed Elvis’ career in general, the spotlight kind of went right over to Col. Parker.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:03 pm

When was the last photo taken of them together?

Was it at the Press Conference on February 25, 1961 at the Hotel Claridge, Memphis, Tennessee?

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:42 am

Looks fake to me.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:47 am

Friends sometimes just drift away especially if they run in different circles.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:07 am

EPA4368 wrote:When was the last photo taken of them together?

Was it at the Press Conference on February 25, 1961 at the Hotel Claridge, Memphis, Tennessee?

That's exactly correct, as far as I've seen. There must be some from July 31, 1969, at least, but none that have surfaced.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:32 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Looks fake to me.

It's real. Here's another one from the same day at the Hotel Claridge luncheon.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Julian Grant wrote:

I've seen the other one numerous times, but not this one. Thank you for posting it!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:

I've seen the other one numerous times, but not this one. Thank you for posting it!

Sam looks much better without that fake comedy beard and wig he wore in his later years

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:Didn't Sam go to the press conference where he questioned Elvis out of the blue in front of everyone about why he wasn't getting any credit for Elvis' career ...

You are referring to Elvis' February 25, 1961 post-luncheon press conference at the Hotel Claridge, and you have your facts wrong.

Sam Phillips was invited to the luncheon, not to mention the benefit shows at Ellis Auditorium that afternoon and evening. At the press conference he did not question Elvis "out of the blue ... about why he wasn't getting any credit for Elvis' career." In fact, it is Presley who name-checks Phillips. It's all on tape.

See this topic:

The Penultimate Memphis Press Conference --> 1961
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61444

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:Didn't Sam go to the press conference where he questioned Elvis out of the blue in front of everyone about why he wasn't getting any credit for Elvis' career ...

You are referring to Elvis' February 25, 1961 post-luncheon press conference at the Hotel Claridge, and you have your facts wrong.

Sam Phillips was invited to the luncheon, not to mention the benefit shows at Ellis Auditorium that afternoon and evening. At the press conference he did not question Elvis "out of the blue ... about why he wasn't getting any credit for Elvis' career." In fact, it is Presley who name-checks Phillips. It's all on tape.

See this topic:

The Penultimate Memphis Press Conference --> 1961
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61444
No, I specifically remember reading about Sam Phillips wondering why he wasn't getting credit and there was audio with it. It wasn't that interview I don't think. Otherwise, I wouldn't be mentioning it if I didn't get it from somewhere and I know it was on Elvis Australia. I just never saved it.