Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fire Down Below

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:15 am

Every time I listen to this great rockin' instrumental track I can't help but get sad thinking of what a lost opportunity this was for him to have rediscovered his inner rock star with that one. Such a shame that he never got to record it during the Graceland sessions. Does anyone else think this was a lost hit, maybe his first #1 hit since Suspicious Minds?

Re: Fire Down Below

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:19 am

No.

The lyrics were too weak to be a #1 hit.

It was also clear that in the 1970s that RCA's strategy of just sending the song to radio and hoping the fans would go out and buy it wasn't working anymore.

If Elvis wanted another #1 hit he needed to promote his singles by going on television.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:37 am

brian wrote:No.

It was also clear that in the 1970s that RCA's strategy of just sending the song to radio and hoping the fans would go out and buy it wasn't working anymore.

If Elvis wanted another #1 hit he needed to promote his singles by going on television.

The lyrics, for 1976, were about right considering what was being sung and written at that time. RCA though could only put out what he recorded. But he gave them nothing solid to promote in 1977. So it wasn't thier fault. Way Down did well, but wasn't the true rock song like Fire Down Below would have been.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:58 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:No.

The lyrics, for 1976, were about right considering what was being sung and written at that time. RCA though could only put out what he recorded. But he gave them nothing solid to promote in 1977. So it wasn't thier fault. Way Down did well, but wasn't the true rock song like Fire Down Below would have been.

The lyrics were crap lots of songs in the 1970s had better lyrics than that.

''Man your battle stations baby'' and ''Fight fire with fire, love with love''.

To me Elvis came out with some very strong singles in the 1970s but he and RCA needed to do more to promote them.

RCA is to blame for some of that as they promoted Elvis poorly throughout the 1970s in my opinion.

''Way Down'' got to #31 then was headed back down the charts when news of Elvis' death broke.

It then started up the charts again where it peaked at a respectable but not spectacular #18.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 am

By the mid-70s, Elvis was already an oldies artist in the eyes and ears of radio. With occasional examples, Top 40 skews young. You won't find a 40 year old artist hitting the pop chart consistently.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Here is an idea what it might have sounded like if E had recorded it - Shakin Stevens version

phpBB [video]

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:26 pm

I guess "Fire Down Below" would have been as weak as "Way Down". The band surely would have rocked the song, but Elvis would have sounded tired and not like a Rock' n Roll singer at all. :(

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:52 pm

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:I guess "Fire Down Below" would have been as weak as "Way Down". The band surely would have rocked the song, but Elvis would have sounded tired and not like a Rock' n Roll singer at all. :(

Way down is a great rocker IMO. Nowt wrong with it.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Fire Down Below is a horrible song... Elvis had enough poor material to choose from in 1976... it was a blessing that he never recorded it... no offense intended to Mr. Scheff.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:06 pm

I kinda like the rhythm to the song but the lyrics needed work.