Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Prince From Another Planet Footage - Help

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:30 am

Like many of you I eagerly awaited the arrival of my PFAP today and wasted no time dropping the disks into my DVD player as soon as the UPS driver left. While I agree with everyone that the sound quality is a major upgrade I am left a little disappointed by the quality of the footage from the afternoon show. So much has been written about how great it is I am starting to wonder if my set has some sort of video misprint. The footage on my TV is very grainy with a lot of video noise and the image lacks sharpness. Were my expectations raised too high by early previews? Am I seeing what everyone is seeing or should I buy another set and compare the results. BTW - the quality of the video in the Afternoon Show DVD chapter is the same as the clips used for the opening documentary on the disk. Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Prince From Another Planet Footage - Help

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 am

Assuming you have a large screen TV you can't expect an 8mm film to be blown up that much without it looking grainy. In Memphis they showed it on a theatre type large screen and it was grainy but still amazing. Try watching it on your laptop with headphones.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:53 am

Tmorelli01 wrote:I am starting to wonder if my set has some sort of video misprint. The footage on my TV is very grainy with a lot of video noise and the image lacks sharpness. Were my expectations raised too high by early previews?

Not only raised too high but greatly mistaken. As Steve said above...you're not going to get any better with 8mm film. The film was never meant to be stretched out to a widescreen flat screen in pure High Definition. The smaller scale you can watch the footage--the better it will look. The film is small and covers very little space.

Same idea with this photograph....

If this was the photo's original dimensions and one wanted to zoom in on this...there isn't enough information/data in the photograph to provide a clear picture when zoomed in:

The same issue is happening with the MSG footage. When enlarged on a big TV--the film's limitations are exaggerated.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:33 am

Hell, I'd just like to know what footage is new on the dvd that we don't already have on dvds like the Phoenix video?

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 pm

the film has been available for a while but not a good transfer,

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:22 pm

First In Line wrote:Hell, I'd just like to know what footage is new on the dvd that we don't already have on dvds like the Phoenix video?

Nothing, actually. Just that it is a first generation source, whereas the Phoenix release looks more like 5th or so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:26 pm

This footage looks fantastic on a small pc screen but its different on a big size tv....still looks great but not "tv quality" as many expect.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Check your zoom function on your flatscreen?
Make sure you use the original ratio..

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:48 am

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was watching on a very large screen as some of you suggested might be the case. When I look at it on my iPad the viewing experience improves dramatically. Still great to have but I let the marketing fool me and it raised my hopes a bit too high!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:23 pm

The DVD is cool but it could be better.The 1972 New York Experience DVD is a lot less professinal but has much more footage of the shows and press conference that should have been used here somehow. The documentary is nice, and the quality is a big improvement, but I'm not sold on having a blank black screen during the show. Photos from the gig or even from the entire tour would have been better for me. Still I have to say that Elvis in the summer of 1972 was still magnificent in a way he never would be again. If this release serves to show off how good he was at the time to the masses, then it serves its purpose.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Mike Eder wrote:The DVD is cool but it could be better.The 1972 New York Experience DVD is a lot less professinal but has much more footage of the shows and press conference that should have been used here somehow. The documentary is nice, and the quality is a big improvement, but I'm not sold on having a blank black screen during the show. Photos from the gig or even from the entire tour would have been better for me. Still I have to say that Elvis in the summer of 1972 was still magnificent in a way he never would be again. If this release serves to show off how good he was at the time to the masses, then it serves its purpose.

Yes, I now await "STAR" or someone to edit the 20 odd minutes together or stretch it out a bit with alternate MSG footage. On PFAP, the songs "Never been to Spain" and "Polk salad Annie" are almost complete so could they possibly fill those gaps in somehow to make them complete?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:The DVD is cool but it could be better.The 1972 New York Experience DVD is a lot less professinal but has much more footage of the shows and press conference that should have been used here somehow. The documentary is nice, and the quality is a big improvement, but I'm not sold on having a blank black screen during the show. Photos from the gig or even from the entire tour would have been better for me. Still I have to say that Elvis in the summer of 1972 was still magnificent in a way he never would be again. If this release serves to show off how good he was at the time to the masses, then it serves its purpose.

Yes, I now await "STAR" or someone to edit the 20 odd minutes together or stretch it out a bit with alternate MSG footage. On PFAP, the songs "Never been to Spain" and "Polk salad Annie" are almost complete so could they possibly fill those gaps in somehow to make them complete?

This way?
phpBB [video]

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:47 pm

That's the way it's done! Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:58 pm

agree....much better

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:09 am

STAR is probably thinking..."yeah baby...another money grabbing opportunity". "We'll just use the PFAP footage and just fill in the blanks with other amateur footage from the show to make it complete." KACHINNNNG !!!!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:41 am

thanks guys :D i didnt want the footage to be ruined by black screens so filled it in with the other sources :D

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:47 am

Great Link Johnny 2523 -I Love It - Ty ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by karlos on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:49 am

karlos wrote:Great Link Johnny 2523 -I Love It - Ty ::rocks

thanks karlos!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:38 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
karlos wrote:Great Link Johnny 2523 -I Love It - Ty ::rocks

thanks karlos!

yvw Johnny 2523 My Buddy

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:55 pm

quote]

This way?
phpBB [video]

[/quote]
Yes thats the way to do it

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:53 am

Johnny2523 wrote:thanks guys :D i didnt want the footage to be ruined by black screens so filled it in with the other sources :D

Looked great! Thanks!