Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

DF series vs FTD soundtracks!

Fri May 09, 2003 12:50 am

At the time, I found the DF series very much to my taste!
Not perfect, but also surprising!
To me the DF series gave me two important issues that I had always wanted to listen to in decent audio! FRANKIE & JOHNNY and HAREM HOLIDAY (EU title).
Ernst and Roger must have been reading my mind!
Those of you who hold the LP copies of these, will know what I'm writing about!
Ernst and Roger re-mixed these two, and after all the years, made them sound like the rest of 'em!
Be aware, if you request these albums in their "original album" form!
The DF masters are far superior!
Another topic to dig into!?

Re: DF series vs FTD soundtracks!

Mon May 12, 2003 9:44 pm

bajo wrote:....Be aware, if you request these albums in their "original album" form!
The DF masters are far superior!
Another topic to dig into!?

The best mixes are the original mono masters. They sounds much better than the original stereo LP's.

Mon May 12, 2003 10:01 pm

Another example is the recent "Girl Happy and IHATWF", listen to the DF Girl Happy and then the "new" album master version. Or even to the alternates on Girl Happy - The original mixes represent Elvis singing trough the telephone line - just horrible !! and don't forget that the album masters are second generation masters, down mixed from the original 3 or 4 track session master. If mixed properly, these are always better. But what is preferred, that's just a matter of taste I think.
I can imagine that somebody wants the sound they remembered from the albums al those years ago.

Listen to "Relax" album mix, and "Relax" on the DF. The latter has much more bass and body to it. The new one has hissing and tape drop-outs.

But on the other hand, making the original mixes available is a good thing. So each can play their own preferred mix. Keep em coming Ernst [BUT USE ORIGINAL COVERS! not some "looks almost like it" kind of thing ...

Mon May 12, 2003 10:35 pm

So what is the deal here,are the new ftd CD's an audio improvement or not?

I haven't got mine yet.

Mon May 12, 2003 11:30 pm

I just bought all of the Double Features in October, 2002 and all 10 were less than $100. I do plan to buy my favorite soundtracks on FTD, so I will end up getting most of them, but it will cost an arm and a leg, and will have to buy them at a slower pace than they come out.

DF still have a place for value-conscious fans.

Tue May 13, 2003 12:22 am

Dan_T wrote:So what is the deal here,are the new ftd CD's an audio improvement or not?

I haven't got mine yet.

Yeah, they really are... the sound is more fresh than on the Double Features releases. Combined with the stunning packing, the great bonus outtakes and the booklet, it's a must have....

I also have all the DF, and will keep them only because they're a nice compilation. Perhaps I will sell them one time, but only if FTD has released ALL soundtracks featured and the DF's....