Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

A BOY FROM TUPELO-----DONE READING IT!!!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 am

I have just recently finished reading this massive volume.

What a great book. I took my time deliberately.

In particular, I like the detail of the weekly tours.

You really get an idea of the constant touring Elvis did back then and the behind the scenes goings on.

And for the first year, August to about July, Elvis was so accessible by the fans.

He would sign autographs or simply hang out and talk with them. Always posing for pictures.

Also, it is surprising how early the colonel was watching him.

There is enough pictures, first hand accounts, articles, and ads to paint a vivid picture
of the times. The book made you feel like you were there. And it all felt so fresh as if
it happened yesterday.

It is very interesting to have all this history that led to his legendary

Dorsey show appearances and recording for RCA.

I don't care if there is no index. It doesn't bother me.

But, I only wish there was more analysis on the Sun sessions.
Perhaps too much time has gone by for this to be possible.

Or a report on performances that exist on tape or acetate, but no deal could be made.

Overall, this is a keeper, and the best record we have of the era.

10 years in the making but worth the wait.

Re: A BOY FROM TUPELO-----DONE READING IT!!!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 pm

ekenee wrote:I have just recently finished reading this massive volume.

What a great book. I took my time deliberately.

In particular, I like the detail of the weekly tours.

You really get an idea of the constant touring Elvis did back then and the behind the scenes goings on.

And for the first year, August to about July, Elvis was so accessible by the fans.

He would sign autographs or simply hang out and talk with them. Always posing for pictures.

Also, it is surprising how early the colonel was watching him.

There is enough pictures, first hand accounts, articles, and ads to paint a vivid picture
of the times. The book made you feel like you were there. And it all felt so fresh as if
it happened yesterday.

It is very interesting to have all this history that led to his legendary

Dorsey show appearances and recording for RCA.

I don't care if there is no index. It doesn't bother me.

But, I only wish there was more analysis on the Sun sessions.
Perhaps too much time has gone by for this to be possible.

Or a report on performances that exist on tape or acetate, but no deal could be made.

Overall, this is a keeper, and the best record we have of the era.

10 years in the making but worth the wait.

If it had been 11 years 'in the making', we may have got the live "I forgot to remember to forget" and "Rock around the clock". I wouldn't have minded waiting a bit longer if these 2 items could have been included somehow.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm only upto April 1955. I'm trying not to rush it, I only sit down to read it when I've got the house to myself.

Certainly is a marvelous book.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:21 am

"Rock Around The Clock"? Elvis sang that? Hmmm.

It's a WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL, EXCITING BOOK!! I just loved it!! Elvis did everything that no one has done...like driving from place to place, performing almost everyday, car problems, low on money when they had to get gas and share food, etc. HE DID IT ALL! that no other entertainer been there like that! He really did have the time for the fans, also. Some entertainer probably would just push them away. It's nothing like this now days.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:58 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:I'm only upto April 1955. I'm trying not to rush it, I only sit down to read it when I've got the house to myself.

Certainly is a marvelous book.

I take it you don't have the house to yourself very often then Good Time ! Come on get the do not disturb sign on the bedroom door and finish the darn thing already.

norrie