Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:27 am

stevelecher wrote:All that said, my copy has been shipped and I cannot wait to hear the evening show. I am more excited about that than the DVD.

as i have said before, i am not interested in the dvd...then i wasn't so sure after all...but then i read all 4 pages of this thread, and reading some of the posts has turned me off the dvd even more. however, i am very excited about the cd's (can't wait to get them)

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:36 am

FredAistair wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ML4EP wrote:... let me repeat what the dude said..."going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves. That includes covering Creedence by way of Ike and Tina’s “Proud Mary,” Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain” and grinding out often abbreviated versions of his Sun and 60s RCA hits with a slickness unimaginable when they were recorded.

It seems clear that the writer is implicit in considering those covers as "somewhat schlocky Vegas." And he is correct. To have those two big hits in your set list in 1972 was a concession to Vegas. Those songs were probably in almost every Vegas musician's set list in the early '70s.

And although the critic is unaware of Elvis' 1970 recording of the 1969 hit CCR single, by 1972 Ike and Tina Turner had make their mark with John Fogerty's tune, soaring into the Top 5 on Billboard's Pop and R&B charts in early 1971 with a unique, funk-imbued arrangement. Only Elvis fans knew about the Presley track. Everyone knew the Turner single -- it became one of Tina's "signature" songs.

The Dude has the usual problem of many who try to pigeon hole Elvis into a particular genre.We do as well sometimes.
The point is Elvis could and did sing in a variety of styles and range that seemed beyond the scope of other popular artist.
He wasn't just a rock star and most critics are limited in their analysis of using that as a criteria to make judgements.
They may fail to appreciate the vocals on say, An Impossible Dream or Funny How Time Slips Away , thinking instead why on earth is Elvis singing these.
Fine, if you are a rock star you don't sing this sort of stuff, usually because you can't.
Never mind that Elvis sang them really well and that most rock stars have poor and limited vocals hiding behind a big sound.
This sort of thing has been used to beat at Elvis relentlessly by many critics.
My view is that it shows their own limitations.
Elvis soared way above the limitations of a rock singer, and one has to enjoy him that way.
It surely has to a prime factor in why he has sustained through to this day.

Spot on Fred!!

As to schlocky Vegas...here it is, live and in color. Tell me Elvis' performance at the evening show is in the same league.

phpBB [video]

Last edited by ML4EP on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:22 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
For those wondering, the set is mixed in with other box sets. It's too big to fit in cd racks so you have to look for it wherever they stock the box sets. I got mine at Best Buy. They had 3 copies as of 10 am this morning. The packaging btw, is worth the price of the whole set. Absolutely stunning!

At the Best Buy that I went to, I looked in the box set section - nothing. I looked everywhere - end caps, special displays, music DVD section - still nothing!

A notable mainstream release should get "front row" attention - another missed opportunity!

RKS

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 am

Check with Best Buy, Target, Barnes & Noble, K Mart, any big box store in your area should have a copy or two. If not, Amazon can get it to you in two days...I received mine here in the UK the morning it was released after pre-ordering a few weeks ago. Well worth the 13 pounds I payed. The sound on the evening show is absolutely fantastic, better balanced instruments and backing vocals...the matinee is much better than the original release and the drums are more up front which was always my complaint. You will enjoy this release very much, it's a keeper!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Mine arrived yesterday (Thank you Shopelvis.com) and I managed to play BOTH cd's in their entirity.

I know some aren't going to like what I'm about to say, but to my ears, the afternoon show just doesn't sound as good as what was released on the Afternoon in the Garden cd. The main reason for me is how they have Elvis' voice buried deeper in with the band + the extra amount of reverb that was added to his vocals. To me, I can hardly hear Jerry Scheffs base. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel it's a bad release, but there is a lot of room for them to improve it (once again in the future).

As for the evening show, I did enjoy the sound of it. Not as much base as on the original, but just enough not to smother it. The audience sound level is also a bit higher as on the original, which ads to the already high energy.
One thing I did notice was the horns don't appear to be mixed as high as they were on the afternoon show, especially on That's Alright. Nevertheless, I found it a pleasant listen.

The DVD is simply AWESOME! Even though the footage is only 20 min in length and you see a lot of black screen, it made me hungry for more of this type of material (fan filmed concert footage) to be released and synched to music. It also makes me want a newly edited Special edition of Elvis On Tour. Warner Bros / MGM / Sony BMG are you listening???

Overall, I am happy I purchased this set and will also be getting the Legacy version as well. I'll be interested in hearing how Vic remasters the original version.

Thanks y'all :D

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Big Boss Man wrote: Warner Bros / MGM / Sony BMG are you listening???

I doubt it very seriously, but I wish they would.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Jamie wrote:How do you know he didn't have the belt in the 11th? He is wearing it in other photos for the 11th, so what's the story? I am not disputing it just interested to know what went on?

Our own Greybeard was there. He said that Elvis took the belt off prior to Hound Dog on June 11th.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:Mine arrived yesterday (Thank you Shopelvis.com) and I managed to play BOTH cd's in their entirity.

I know some aren't going to like what I'm about to say, but to my ears, the afternoon show just doesn't sound as good as what was released on the Afternoon in the Garden cd. The main reason for me is how they have Elvis' voice buried deeper in with the band + the extra amount of reverb that was added to his vocals. To me, I can hardly hear Jerry Scheffs base. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel it's a bad release, but there is a lot of room for them to improve it (once again in the future).

As for the evening show, I did enjoy the sound of it. Not as much base as on the original, but just enough not to smother it. The audience sound level is also a bit higher as on the original, which ads to the already high energy.
One thing I did notice was the horns don't appear to be mixed as high as they were on the afternoon show, especially on That's Alright. Nevertheless, I found it a pleasant listen.

The DVD is simply AWESOME! Even though the footage is only 20 min in length and you see a lot of black screen, it made me hungry for more of this type of material (fan filmed concert footage) to be released and synched to music. It also makes me want a newly edited Special edition of Elvis On Tour. Warner Bros / MGM / Sony BMG are you listening???

Overall, I am happy I purchased this set and will also be getting the Legacy version as well. I'll be interested in hearing how Vic remasters the original version.

Thanks y'all :D

It's inevitable that not everyone will like this or prefer it as different people want the focus to be on different elements. What's one persons thing is not another. But I certainly do think it's better than the original versions. You do feel like you are "there". I would say if anyone is hoping for a studio style mx/master then they will be dissappointed as this is as Live as it gets. But I think they've done a great job highlighting Elvis vocal - I don't find it recessed at all, I am hearing little things that I didn't before suggesting it is easier to follow and hear the subtle nuances. I like the reverb. A sound engineer would always add a little eq to the vocal channel to cut through room acoustics etc. Without it the vocals could sound very flat and lifeless. Here they sound fantastic to my ears. I don't hear a huge difference in the shows alhough the drums seem a little bit easier to follow on the evening show. I wonder if they played around wih mic positions for the evening show? Anyway, as I said it wont suit everyone but what is undeniable is the quality of the overall package. It does full justice to the high point in EP's touring career IMO.

stevelecher wrote:I love MSG as much as the next guy but let's be honest, the version of Proud Mary in 1972 is just what that reviewer said, "a Vegas cover of the song." I'll play the 1970 version for people, but I would not want to play the 1972 one. It's just too Vegasy. That cannot be compared to Ike and Tina or CCR. The 1972 version does not have much "soul."

All that said, my copy has been shipped and I cannot wait to hear the evening show. I am more excited about that than the DVD.

I must admit to never understanding what this really means. It's almost talked about like it's a musical genre in itself. I am sure Elvis didn't distinguish between Vegas and on the road in musical terms. He had a vision for a core quality rocking band, an orchestra, gospel and soul backing singers. He wanted the flexibility to do pretty much any genre in his shows. The 69 and 70 shows still had those same ingrediants but they become more dominated by the ensemble as his musical taste moved away from the rock approach taken in 69 to more ballads and big emotional numbers. But that's not Vegas per se, to me it was just how Elvis wanted to present his show - the fact it was in Vegas is a red herring IMO.

The MSG gigs just sound like a big stadium gig covering a variety of music styles but all underpinned by an incredible full on core band. I don't know if critics referred to Vegas style in 72 or not but I think what we are hearing is Elvis take on his music at that point. I love both versions of Proud Mary but again I just don't see the later version as effected by Vegas. The earlier version to me sounds like work in progress. The pause after the first verse/chorus just sounds like they are looking for a way to move the song on. I think the adopted drum roll in the later version works far better and really propels the song along. It's an evolution. The use of a small brass /horn section has been around since at least Phil Spector in the early 60's and its more likely Elvis heard that style and liked what he heard and not as a result of some Vegas osmosis. To suggest otherwise I feel doesn't give Elvis enough credit for his knowledege of music and his vision for his own show. Anyway, it's just my view for what it's worth. Personally, I prefer the MSG versions of PM.

cheers Jamie

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:54 pm

Rob wrote:
Jamie wrote:How do you know he didn't have the belt in the 11th? He is wearing it in other photos for the 11th, so what's the story? I am not disputing it just interested to know what went on?

Our own Greybeard was there. He said that Elvis took the belt off prior to Hound Dog on June 11th.[/quote

Ok thanks Rob, Greybeard is one lucky guy! That's suggests the photo in the book is wrongly attributed to the Evening show then.

cheers Jamie

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:54 pm

I have not watched the DVD yet but have listened to both discs and the evening show sounds so much better than the original 1992 CD release, much richer and fuller sound, although E seems to be drowned out on occasion by the band and backing vocals. Crowd noise is much more prevalent.

The matinee is much the same, better sound than the 1997 release, which I thought was the best sound on a live disc to date at the time. Elvis seems more up front throughout the show, more than that night's show disc.

That said, I still think the matinee is the better overall show. Just my opinion.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Have been listening to mine. Sound is great. Its loud like it should be. You feel like you are there. Elvis was kicking Butt. These shows blow the Aloha show to hell.

I Like the dvd. They give u the option of going to whatever song you would like to see how much footage there is so there isn't a problem to me.

I am impressed with all of the work they put into it too and it was right at the front of store i got it at too,. They have hyped it really well.:)

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:03 pm

DEH wrote:These shows blow the Aloha show to hell.

To hell?

Damn, what do they do to the Omaha '77 show?

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:12 pm

Overall I loved this package, primarily because it is a mainstream release that was well put together. The packing is excellent (except for the actual holders for the CDs/DVD), the booklet design is top notch, and I enjoyed the documentary. The only thing I would have done differently would be to eliminate the audio for the entire afternoon show on the DVD portion. Personally, I would have just used full audio for songs where there was film footage, then faded in and out between songs. That way, there would only be blank screen within a given song as opposed to long stretches of nothing. I might have done the blank screen thing with the audio of the press conference, though (or even adding in additional video footage to make it more complete). It would have been nice to hear all of the reporters' comments clearly and in their entirety.

In an ideal world, of course, I would have attempted to get as many sources of original MSG 8mm as possible and snyched them to the existing audio. I certainly understsand the constraints of budget and also of profit, so I know that would not happen, but it strikes me as interesting that when Ernst talked about the footage he made it sound like when he found out about it he thought "hey, here's an idea - let's put this out on DVD and synch it to music" - as if he had never thought of that before at all, or as if he was not aware there was any fan shot footage from MSG, which I'm sure he was. In other words, Ernst made it sound serendipitious that he stumbled upon this footage and was thus inspired to release it, when I think it's something that (for MSG at least) he could have done anyway. I find it hard to believe that Ernst doesn't know anyone with original 8mm film (and yes, I know there is more to it than just asking to use it. I am just making the point that Ernst really made it sound like this entire effort was a fluke, and if Don Lance hadn't mentioned the footage it would never have happened).

Also, speaking of footage, two things: First, it was nice to finally see the WMBC footage used, but it would have been nice to have seen all of it, particularly since it represents a show where we have no official audio and it is professionally shot. Second, my real question is where is the footage from the camera on the tripod that can clearly be seen on stage with Elvis in the 8mm film? - that'd be nice to see :D

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Jamie wrote:
Rob wrote:

Our own Greybeard was there. He said that Elvis took the belt off prior to Hound Dog on June 11th.[/quote

Ok thanks Rob, Greybeard is one lucky guy! That's suggests the photo in the book is wrongly attributed to the Evening show then.

cheers Jamie

"He removed the belt on the 11th show also. He did it during the blues opening for HOUND DOG. I was at this show and was amazed at the thud it made when it hit the floor. Elvis said something to the effect of "I'm trying to be sexy.." Funny moment. I didn't realize he did it on the 10th too."
Greybeard

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Overall, the deluxe set is a true gift for fans. It's the one thing we've wished for, for many years and we finally got it so.... kudos to Ernst, Roger and Sony for making it happen. Well done!

I much prefer the Evening show over the Afternoon show on the set. The Afternoon show, I felt, had a slight improvement over the '97 mix while the Evening show was night and day. Both recordings succeed in trying to put you in the fourth row of the arena--it's a great sonic experience.

I'm looking forward to the Legacy set and comparing them; I suspect I'll dig the Afternoon show on that set a bit more.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:07 pm

I like this review from Amazon.co.uk. " T.C.Cassagranda". Good stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this stage in his reborn career, you could forgive Elvis Presley for starting to coast, which is what he did six months' later on the Aloha From Hawaii televised concert.

However, there is a power and intensity in these concerts which is even far removed from Elvis On Tour, filmed in April 1972: it is as if the vibe from his cover of Arthur Alexander's Burning Love had spilled over into this, and that Elvis still had plenty to prove.

Madison Square Garden certainly brought the best out of Elvis, after all it was where the Concert For Bangladesh took place, and also where, in 1969, the live recordings for the Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya Yas Out took place. Even one of his contemporaries, at the height of his powers, and in his Annus Mirabilis, 1969, Johnny Cash performed an amazing concert in the Garden, which was only issued in 2002.

However, like Vegas in 1956, and New York in 56 too, Elvis didn't exactly go down a storm: he needed to redeem himself. In 1969, he came back with a vengeance in Vegas, performing with a unparalleled intensity, and with a new band. In 1972, he also needed to redeem himself in New York, and he was equally intense, equally on the ball. He opened, not with Ma Rainey's CC Rider, but rather with 1954's That's All Right, Mama, channeling the intensity of that apparently bygone era. He continued both sets with his versions of contemporary rock, i.e John Fogerty's Proud Mary, Hoyt Axton's Never Been To Spain, Dusty Springfield's You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, and You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling. He then truncated Polk Salad Annie, but the bass by Jerry Scheff, was on a par with Duck Dunn's bass on Tony Joe White's live version on That On The Road Look, and Elvis knew, in 1972, that his band could rock just as hard as any other band. However, the pure swampiness of both Annie, and Never Been to Spain, suggest that, as opposed to the maudlin ballads that Elvis preoccupied himself with from 1973 onwards, Elvis would have been better singing material from the pen of Tony Joe White and Bobbie Gentry. The swampy southern rock side really suited Elvis, and he should have done a lot more, having had the perfect opportunity recording in Stax.

After Polk Salad Annie, Elvis decided to do some of his oldies. Unlike the 1974 performances, where he medleyed them, he really went for them with a great intensity. Blue Suede Shoes may have lasted only a minute, but it was a minute of pure intensity. Likewise, Reconsider Baby highlights that James Burton could really play the blues: a fact that Elvis Costello picked up on, when he recorded Eisenhower Blues for King Of America in 1986. You also get Heartbreak Hotel, and a really quick, intense tear through All Shook Up. The only time, however, that Elvis is in any way perfunctory is when he bounces into Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel, and you can hardly blame him. After all, the success of Teddy Bear led to Rock A Hula Baby, No Room to Rhumba, and countless other movie songs. It really does show the ensuing emasculation of the great artist, yet Don't be Cruel retains its excellence.

The home stretch shows that Elvis was even turning his hand to show tunes, i.e. Man From La Mancha's Impossible Dream, but that there was an edge to them. He wasn't, yet, the bloated balladeer crooning Softly As I Leave You, Hurt, or The Last Farewell. He still had the quality control on his music, and he had the intensity to turn Impossible Dream into a work that suggested he was still looking for a musical something, a musical hidden gem, and personal quest allied to the hidden wonder of music.

Elvis continued with An American Trilogy, a Romneyesque flag-waver, far-removed from Mickey Newbury's original from the Mabel Joy album. Newbury wrote it from the prospective of Vietnam, street fighting, and as a protest. Elvis saw it as him uniting the states; it was his state of the union, medleying the southern Dixie with the Battle Hymn of The Republic, and the Negro spiritual All My Trials. It became what Elvis envisaged himself to be, without any comments on Vietnam, Mayor Daley, etc. It was Sinatra's House Where I Live In for the 1970s, and the air of the apolitical entertainer. It was also a side-step from If I Can Dream and In The Ghetto to An American Trilogy. One does wonder what would happen if Elvis performed it stripped down a la Newbury, but Elvis probably saw himself as losing income if he criticised the union. I also wonder how, in this instance, Elvis would have approached Robbie Robertson's Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, but it would, probably, just have been a form of entertainment for him,a nd not a protest.

The country-esque approach continues with Funny How Time Slips Away and I Can't Stop Loving You. Elvis would have heard Willie Nelson, pre outlaw, pre marijuana, performing this bluesy country ballad. He may have been familiar with Bobby Hinton's version, and with Jerry Lee Lewis on Country Songs for City Folks, Again, the intensity remains undimmed, yet Elvis is also good-humoured. His work on I Can't Stop Loving You is radically different to Ray Charles's country meets blues version, with a neat false ending. Bob Dylan borrowed the Presley false-ending on Peggy Day on Nashville Skyline, but here Elvis takes it back wonderfully.

Both concerts close with Can't Help Falling In Love, which was the usual concluding track. You may ask which concert was my favourite. I would state the Afternoon concert, as it is intense yet looser. However, where did it all go wrong ? In six months, Elvis's perceived peak was Aloha From Hawaii, yet Aloha was an unstructured ballad heavy mess in my opinion. Elvis knew, at this concert, how to structure his shows, and wasn't going through the motions.

The drugs certainly took a hold from 1973 onwards, and concerts became extremely hit or miss affairs. Stories abound of unfocussed 40 minute karate demonstrations, of rants about being strung-out, of Suspicious Minds performed to the tune of What Now My Love, and of the same old songs being churned out as if they were live equivalents of the movie soundtracks. It just seems, on the basis of the two CDs and DVD contained herein, an horrendous shame that Elvis, himself, was caught in a trap from which he couldn't walk out.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:29 pm

i just reseived my package today and all i can say is Hats off this is awesome! The booklet contains some awesome elvis shots i never seen before, and all the text thats in there is alot of fun to read when ur screen goes blank during the DVD footage (Which is awesome!), I nearly cried when i saw the part of american trilogy ''hush little baby dont u cry'' this version and the version from hampton roads does this to me everytime again. The documentaire is very informative, and the June 9 footage looks great altough way to short only little parts of proud mary :(, Elvis surely was a Prince from another planet, later tonight its on to the evening show since i already heard the afternoon show in its entirety on the dvd :D This is awesome!! i hope this is the start of more packages like this to come :D New years Eve 76 for example!, Audience recording + bonus the soundboard parts + DVD with the complete concert!, and 48 pages book i vote for~!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:09 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:SuspiciousMind wrote:
For those wondering, the set is mixed in with other box sets. It's too big to fit in cd racks so you have to look for it wherever they stock the box sets. I got mine at Best Buy. They had 3 copies as of 10 am this morning. The packaging btw, is worth the price of the whole set. Absolutely stunning!

At the Best Buy that I went to, I looked in the box set section - nothing. I looked everywhere - end caps, special displays, music DVD section - still nothing!

A notable mainstream release should get "front row" attention - another missed opportunity!

RKS

nowhere to be found anywhere around here either....but then again, i live in a sucky country (and town), when it comes to things like this

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:

RKS

nowhere to be found anywhere around here either....but then again, i live in a sucky country (and town), when it comes to things like this

Try ordering from Elvismatters, They still have them..

And i forgot that Prince from Another Planet altough mainstream is only limited to 5,000 copies!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 am

Since last year we've got:

December 2011 - Young man With A Big Beat
August 2012 - A Boy From Tupelo FTD
November 2012 - Prince From Another Planet

(Apart from quite a bunch of FTDs...)

That were some incredible 12 months, wasn't it?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:48 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:

RKS

Try ordering from Elvismatters, They still have them..

And i forgot that Prince from Another Planet altough mainstream is only limited to 5,000 copies!

oh i know where to order it. thanks anyway :smt001

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:52 am

Joe Car wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Rob wrote:

cheers Jamie

"He removed the belt on the 11th show also. He did it during the blues opening for HOUND DOG. I was at this show and was amazed at the thud it made when it hit the floor. Elvis said something to the effect of "I'm trying to be sexy.." Funny moment. I didn't realize he did it on the 10th too."
Greybeard

So when he took off the belt during the evening show on the 10th, he must have put it back on upside down... is that correct?
Looking at the pictures from both the evening show on the 10th and the show on the 11th, it appears he came out on the 10th with a red scarf and on the 11th with a white scarf (same jumpsuit).

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:03 am

I've just spent some time listening to the Legacy and Prince evening shows side by side.

The sound is dramatically brighter on Prince. The reverb and delay on the Prince Elvis is an obvious difference from what we're used to on Legacy.

But, I hear very little in terms of a different mix. The instruments and vocalists, to my ears, have the same placement they've always had. The audience, though, is more prominent on Prince. Listen to the reaction as Elvis has the house lights turned up. On Legacy, we hear an outburst of shreiks that quickly trails off. There is a more sustained level of excitement (a second or two) on Prince.

So, unless I'm getting my terminology backwards, the mix is not very different. The mastering is very different. I know this material by heart. If there was a new riff or cymbal crash in there, I think it would jump out at me.

I quite enjoyed the extended, Big Al announcements at the end. Guy had to have stones to get out there, in Manhattan, and work that carnival crap.

Does anyone know the identity of the female reporter we hear in the press conference? She sounds so distinctive. Somebody out there must remember her. I get a kick how, after she asks Elvis a question about women's lib, he sweetly brushes it off and calls her "Dear." I'm sure he didn't think twice about it.
Last edited by elvisjock on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:19 am

Just listened to Hound Dog from the evening show through headphones on my home system... while it is obviously far removed from his 1956 classic - this version kicks serious a$$... when he kicks it into high gear and the crowd goes wild... AWESOME! Just AWESOME!!! You absolutely MUST hear this show through a decent quality set of headphones... its a tremendous experience!!!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:26 am

I watched the DVD last night and all I can say is, "I'm All Shook Up". .......makes me wish that guy had had a digital camera and filmed the whole bloody thing..........can you just imagine if digital cameras and smartphones had existed during the 1950's?

I want more fan footage like this!