Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
So the reviewer didn't rate the shows too highly. Big deal. Too many people here are more interested in what other people think of their idol as opposed to what they think of him themselves. It's almost as if people want their liking of Elvis to be validated by other people liking him, with their own opinion not being enough. That's why we have excitement over Elvis making an album chart, when the same people here suggest in other threads is now almost redundant due to the relatively small numbers of units involved. Or people bemoaning what is actually a perfectly valid reading of the MSG shows.

Yes, these shows are very good. But the footage also shows that the moves are toned down from Vegas a couple of years earlier, and that the shows had lost some of their personality due to the slick well-oiled machine that they had become. And, other than possibly Memphis in 1974, Elvis would never again perform with this level of enthusiasm or commitment - and that is despite the fact the oldies were already throwaways by this point. As great as these shows are, anyone who could step back and look at Presley's live shows from 1969-77 from a safe distance could quite possibly pinpoint these shows as the pivot that signals end of the "great" early 70s live period, and the beginning of the decline.



I think what other people think is important because it's part of the big debate, and while answering what this writer said here doesn't do a ton of good because we're in a relatively insular environment (nothing wrong with that but we're mostly in a like speaks to like world here), it is important to challenge some of these conceptions or misconceptions. Also, I think the comment about the rockers in t-shirts etc. was a very perceptive one because for many people rock and roll is a cultural idea as opposed to just a style of music and that cultural idea rejects many other aesthetics. There's nothing wrong with rock as a cultural expression, but the rejection of other aesthetics (as many rock critics do) is to me petty and self-involved. Me I like some Vegas arrangements once in awhile, some big emotional ballads. I like a show with showmanship. I think in many ways the idea of authenticity is way overblown by some critics and you see that here. If I'm entertained by Elvis' larger than life spectacle it doesn't make me a shallower listener. And dressing down doesn't give a performer a patent on truth. In fact, one could assume that one of the reasons a performer does not go the showmanship route is because it is beyond their capabilities. Plus, there is something to admire in a performer's desire to please and wow an audience. And I think most of the great pop acts of today realize this. You can see the roots of what a Madonna does on stage today in Elvis' garish costumes, capes and arrangements. This argument, which originated with the backlash to the writer's review (and yes, of course, not everyone is going to like the show) is an argument worth having.

On your point about the concerts themselves, I don't know if I see the beginnings of Elvis' demise in these shows. It's more of an evolution from what came before. However, I do agree that this Elvis was gone relatively quickly. Although he would continue to find ways to do good work on stage for the remainder of his days (albeit more intermittently than one would prefer), that creature of pure dominance vanished within the space of a year.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 pm

karlos wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:OK, I picked up my copy today from HMV. Yes, they have it on sale for £14. Even the guy in the shop said it sounded cheap. I suppose this price is probably either discounted for a limited period, or it's an error. Either way, get in there quick!

I agree it's a fantastic set, beautifully packaged, but I have issues with it nonetheless. The discs are incredibly hard to prise from the cardboard sleeve. They were in there real tight. In fact, one of the sleeves on my copy has a tear on it where whoever packaged it did this while putting the cd in. You have to bend the sleeves slightly to get the discs out. Not good. I will not be keeping the discs in the sleeves, I will keep them elsewhere. What is this fascination BMG have with cardboard sleeves lately?

I am now off to watch the DVD with a coffee and a cigarette. I am prepared to be totally blown away! :smt006

..............................................................................................

...Enjoy It Andy - I Yet ta see it myself - may be tonite I will watch it and hear it - Enjoy ya week buddy and dvd set - :P ::rocks
.............................
...............................


Cheers, mate. I enjoyed it immensely. Some of the close up shots are so clear considering the age of the film. They have done such a good job cleaning it up.
I don't mind the blank screen gaps as there is also a book to read, which I spent most blanks screen moments drooling over!
Yes, I fully recommend this set to any Elvis fan, you soooo need it in your collection. Just be careful when getting those discs out of the jacket, folks. They are in there real tight! :smt023

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am

MIKEMORAN wrote:I picked up my copy at HMV in Piccadilly , London this morning and was amazed it was only £14. I did,nt query this at the till when paying and half expected a higher price to come up on the display, but it has to be a pricing error, the two CD version was £11 so it was only a few quid more for the deluxe version. Get down to HMV now if you want a bargain.

Have listened to both shows with headphones and the sound is brilliant, saving the DVD for the weekend.

If like me and your local HMV doesn't have it in stock Amazon UK are selling it for £13 that's where I ended up getting this fantastic release.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:18 am

stan from tintane wrote:I think this release is the RCA /Legacy answer to the Memphis Recording Service releases of recent years.

Actually, no.

I know for a fact that SONY couldn't care less about grey-market label releases.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:21 am

DEH wrote:A lot of critics and some people in general have this brainwashed idea that if he is wearing a jumpsuit then he is eating 50 cheeseburgers, on 12 different drugs, is 220 lbs, had his balls drop off and the list goes on.

Yet they think the Beatles, Rolling Stones can do no wrong.

I am curious:

Can you please name one or two of these many critics who have made these claims about Elvis, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones?

And would you please direct me to where you read these reports?

Thanks.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:31 am

ML4EP wrote:... let me repeat what the dude said..."going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves. That includes covering Creedence by way of Ike and Tina’s “Proud Mary,” Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain” and grinding out often abbreviated versions of his Sun and 60s RCA hits with a slickness unimaginable when they were recorded.

It seems clear that the writer is implicit in considering those covers as "somewhat schlocky Vegas." And he is correct. To have those two big hits in your set list in 1972 was a concession to Vegas. Those songs were probably in almost every Vegas musician's set list in the early '70s.

And although the critic is unaware of Elvis' 1970 recording of the 1969 hit CCR single, by 1972 Ike and Tina Turner had make their mark with John Fogerty's tune, soaring into the Top 5 on Billboard's Pop and R&B charts in early 1971 with a unique, funk-imbued arrangement. Only Elvis fans knew about the Presley track. Everyone knew the Turner single -- it became one of Tina's "signature" songs.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:44 am

and the most important question....how the heck is the sound on the CDs?????? Especially the evening show...

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 am

nyelvfan wrote:and the most important question....how the heck is the sound on the CDs?????? Especially the evening show...


It is excellent - well, to my ears at least. Far more dynamic than what we have had before, and it doesn't sound as if Elvis and the crowd are in different rooms anymore either.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:08 am

The sound is great - to me this is the best release in years.!!

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:14 am

nyelvfan wrote:and the most important question....how the heck is the sound on the CDs?????? Especially the evening show...


IMO..

AS: Similar to An Afternoom.. CD but smoother, less digital-sounding & a bit more bass. The mix is rather like the FTD At the International.

ES: Streets ahead of the standard 1990s CD, full, beefy & powerful but pretty smooooth.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 am

elvis-fan wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:There's a quick way to finding out whether a journalist is even qualified to write a review on an Elvis concert performance and then splash it over the net, and that is the mention of jumpsuits. When it is said that the sparkly jumpsuits are made of polyester (LOL), one immediately knows the writer has no idea of what he's talking about. Someone already made that clear to him, by writing a message to him, through Facebook, indicating that all of Presley's jumpsuits were made of a special fabric, imported from Italy. It is actuallly silk folks!!

It's actually wool gabardine imported from Italy. :smt023


Sorry, I meant just that, gabardine, although the first ones were made of Herringboe, a sort of silkish gabardine.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:34 am

Polk Salad Andy wrote:
karlos wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:OK, I picked up my copy today from HMV. Yes, they have it on sale for £14. Even the guy in the shop said it sounded cheap. I suppose this price is probably either discounted for a limited period, or it's an error. Either way, get in there quick!

I agree it's a fantastic set, beautifully packaged, but I have issues with it nonetheless. The discs are incredibly hard to prise from the cardboard sleeve. They were in there real tight. In fact, one of the sleeves on my copy has a tear on it where whoever packaged it did this while putting the cd in. You have to bend the sleeves slightly to get the discs out. Not good. I will not be keeping the discs in the sleeves, I will keep them elsewhere. What is this fascination BMG have with cardboard sleeves lately?

I am now off to watch the DVD with a coffee and a cigarette. I am prepared to be totally blown away! :smt006

..............................................................................................

...Enjoy It Andy - I Yet ta see it myself - may be tonite I will watch it and hear it - Enjoy ya week buddy and dvd set - :P ::rocks
.............................
...............................


Cheers, mate. I enjoyed it immensely. Some of the close up shots are so clear considering the age of the film. They have done such a good job cleaning it up.
I don't mind the blank screen gaps as there is also a book to read, which I spent most blanks screen moments drooling over!
Yes, I fully recommend this set to any Elvis fan, you soooo need it in your collection. Just be careful when getting those discs out of the jacket, folks. They are in there real tight! :smt023


I played the evening show tonight and it's just a joy to listen too. Polk salad Annie and the impossible dream sound amazing!

I thought that too Andy about the discs, so I've swapped them around from my copy's of 'an afternoon in the garden' and 'as recorded at MSG' so I can have these discs in a jewel case.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ML4EP wrote:... let me repeat what the dude said..."going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves. That includes covering Creedence by way of Ike and Tina’s “Proud Mary,” Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain” and grinding out often abbreviated versions of his Sun and 60s RCA hits with a slickness unimaginable when they were recorded.

It seems clear that the writer is implicit in considering those covers as "somewhat schlocky Vegas." And he is correct. To have those two big hits in your set list in 1972 was a concession to Vegas. Those songs were probably in almost every Vegas musician's set list in the early '70s.

And although the critic is unaware of Elvis' 1970 recording of the 1969 hit CCR single, by 1972 Ike and Tina Turner had make their mark with John Fogerty's tune, soaring into the Top 5 on Billboard's Pop and R&B charts in early 1971 with a unique, funk-imbued arrangement. Only Elvis fans knew about the Presley track. Everyone knew the Turner single -- it became one of Tina's "signature" songs.


The Dude has the usual problem of many who try to pigeon hole Elvis into a particular genre.We do as well sometimes.
The point is Elvis could and did sing in a variety of styles and range that seemed beyond the scope of other popular artist.
He wasn't just a rock star and most critics are limited in their analysis of using that as a criteria to make judgements.
They may fail to appreciate the vocals on say, An Impossible Dream or Funny How Time Slips Away , thinking instead why on earth is Elvis singing these.
Fine, if you are a rock star you don't sing this sort of stuff, usually because you can't.
Never mind that Elvis sang them really well and that most rock stars have poor and limited vocals hiding behind a big sound.
This sort of thing has been used to beat at Elvis relentlessly by many critics.
My view is that it shows their own limitations.
Elvis soared way above the limitations of a rock singer, and one has to enjoy him that way.
It surely has to a prime factor in why he has sustained through to this day.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:00 am

Jaw- dropping !!!

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:30 am

I just finished watching it and I was blown away. I've got a good home theatre and the dvd just sounds incredible. You really on get the feeling of the atmosphere in the building. The footage we do have is very good. I turned the subwoofer up and let her rip. It was exciting to watch. That thunderous opening and that first glimpse of Elvis is amazing. After all these years Im still struck by how much I care about him. He is still so important to me. He's been gone for so long yet I still get so much enjoyment with these releases. Elvis was irreplaceable.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:11 am

jak wrote:I just finished watching it and I was blown away. I've got a good home theatre and the dvd just sounds incredible. You really on get the feeling of the atmosphere in the building. The footage we do have is very good. I turned the subwoofer up and let her rip. It was exciting to watch. That thunderous opening and that first glimpse of Elvis is amazing. After all these years Im still struck by how much I care about him. He is still so important to me. He's been gone for so long yet I still get so much enjoyment with these releases. Elvis was irreplaceable.

Right on.

IIRC, you saw him live -- was the first time back in '72?

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:45 am

Doc
I saw him in 74. My wife saw her first show 2 days after his MSG gig. She ended up catching him on stage 4 times. She got kinda choked up watching that footage thinking about that first show that was so close in time to MSG. She commented how great the original lp was because of the similarity of the set list. Those were good times.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 am

Today I went to 3 Walmart stores, a Best Buy, and a Target - I found 1 copy of the Legacy Edition of As Recorded At Madison Square Garden at the 1st store I went to and no other store had the Legacy OR the Prince From Another Planet set. Disappointed!! This is not good! An opportunity for Elvis to be front and center and NOTHING!



I'll try again tomorrow.



RKS

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:06 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Today I went to 3 Walmart stores, a Best Buy, and a Target - I found 1 copy of the Legacy Edition of As Recorded At Madison Square Garden at the 1st store I went to and no other store had the Legacy OR the Prince From Another Planet set. Disappointed!! This is not good! An opportunity for Elvis to be front and center and NOTHING!



I'll try again tomorrow.



RKS


Same here.On monday my local HMV only had the As Recorded At Madison Square Garden legacy edition.I should have just ordered it from Amazon but I was going for the old thrill of picking it up from a record store on day of issue and I expected it to be there.Oh well,I should get it later this week.


norrie

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:25 am

norrie wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Today I went to 3 Walmart stores, a Best Buy, and a Target - I found 1 copy of the Legacy Edition of As Recorded At Madison Square Garden at the 1st store I went to and no other store had the Legacy OR the Prince From Another Planet set. Disappointed!! This is not good! An opportunity for Elvis to be front and center and NOTHING!



I'll try again tomorrow.



RKS


Same here.On monday my local HMV only had the As Recorded At Madison Square Garden legacy edition.I should have just ordered it from Amazon but I was going for the old thrill of picking it up from a record store on day of issue and I expected it to be there.Oh well,I should get it later this week.


norrie


I was hoping for the same. I had hoped the Best Buys around me would probably have a few copies of "Prince" but was surprised to find out at midnight last night that their website listed none of the BBs having any in stock anywhere. So I ended up picking it up at Barnes&Noble during my lunch break today. The last resort would have been to drive to Hollywood to Amoeba Records where I know they'd have copies. Still gotta pick up the Legacy edition and will do so when I'm in the neighborhood on Thursday. Tonight....I shall enjoy the deluxe box set.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:53 am

3 pages of crazy sh*t here already? I'm too lazy to read it all.

Elvis Radio on Sirius/XM is playing a 'Prince from Another Planet' special as I write. The recordings sound absolutely amazing, and the commentary that they've had so far from Lenny Kaye has been fantastic. There are also comments from Glen D., Joe Guercio, Jerry Schilling (who just recalled how George Harrison showed up and chatted with Elvis before one of the shows), AND are you ready for this? I just heard a clip of James Burton mentioning how Led Zeppelin showed up one of the nights as well! But hey, let's not go there, we've done enough arguing over this past election!

I got my notice today that my copy has shipped and I have to say I'm very excited about getting it. There seems to be alot of energy and buzz behind this release. How could their not be? Elvis + New York City. You can't get any bigger.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:03 am

For those wondering, the set is mixed in with other box sets. It's too big to fit in cd racks so you have to look for it wherever they stock the box sets. I got mine at Best Buy. They had 3 copies as of 10 am this morning. The packaging btw, is worth the price of the whole set. Absolutely stunning!

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:48 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:For those wondering, the set is mixed in with other box sets. It's too big to fit in cd racks so you have to look for it wherever they stock the box sets. I got mine at Best Buy. They had 3 copies as of 10 am this morning. The packaging btw, is worth the price of the whole set. Absolutely stunning!


Yes, I'm not sure that the size of the set is actually going to do itself any favours on the high street, as it won't be placed for the most part with other Elvis product and won't fit in the regular racks.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:58 am

I love MSG as much as the next guy but let's be honest, the version of Proud Mary in 1972 is just what that reviewer said, "a Vegas cover of the song." I'll play the 1970 version for people, but I would not want to play the 1972 one. It's just too Vegasy. That cannot be compared to Ike and Tina or CCR. The 1972 version does not have much "soul."

All that said, my copy has been shipped and I cannot wait to hear the evening show. I am more excited about that than the DVD.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:12 am

Prince From Another Planet is one of the best mainstream Elvis releases in years! It sounds great, and looks amazing, a true treat that all Elvis fans should get their hands on.