Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
frus75 wrote:Is it me or the evening show sounds better than the afternoon one?

It does to me as well. I thoroughly enjoy the work Mike Brauer did with both of these recordings but he was limited to what was available on the multi-track tapes. For some reason, the drums sound distorted on the afternoon recording... on both the new remix and the original 1997 mix. I listen to the evening show now more than I ever did... I just love the new sound. :smt023

Me too it's fantastic, I love the MSG shows!

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Maybe, but I love them more than you do.

Tue May 28, 2013 1:54 pm

I've only just gotten around to watching and listening to this release..
What a joy it is to be able to watch the footage. It's better than I was expecting. Can't say the blank bits bothered me, I just read the booklet between live shots. It'll be a good excuse to dig out my FTD books and leaf through them whenever I watch it in future.
Elvis was on fire. As someone who usually can't skip 70s Hound Dogs fast enough, I was surprised to find myself digging the footage and recording, which I'd never payed much attention to before.

I only listened/watched the afternoon show. Haven't played the evening show yet. So far I think it sounds great. I've read this entire thread, and followed all the positive and negative comments regarding sound. All I know, is that to my ears, it sounds better than it before. I'm referring to the afternoon show of course, and only via the DVD - which I presume uses the same mix as the CD..
I'll listen to the evening show tonight. I always hated how it sounded before, so much that I've hardly ever listened to the concert, so this should be interesting..

I agree with the comments on storage of the CDs.. it's a bit naff. I'll try and put some inserts in to keep them protected, and also, the press conference is a bit disappointing, as others have noted.. Have to say I cringed a bit during the part where Parker kept speaking over Elvis.. very unprofessional. And Elvis' reaction when Parker is questioned about Houston.. Brilliant.

Overall, so far, I'm loving it.
Bigtime.

Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 pm

KevinK wrote:I've only just gotten around to watching and listening to this release..
What a joy it is to be able to watch the footage. It's better than I was expecting. Can't say the blank bits bothered me, I just read the booklet between live shots. It'll be a good excuse to dig out my FTD books and leaf through them whenever I watch it in future.
Elvis was on fire. As someone who usually can't skip 70s Hound Dogs fast enough, I was surprised to find myself digging the footage and recording, which I'd never payed much attention to before.

I only listened/watched the afternoon show. Haven't played the evening show yet. So far I think it sounds great. I've read this entire thread, and followed all the positive and negative comments regarding sound. All I know, is that to my ears, it sounds better than it before. I'm referring to the afternoon show of course, and only via the DVD - which I presume uses the same mix as the CD..
I'll listen to the evening show tonight. I always hated how it sounded before, so much that I've hardly ever listened to the concert, so this should be interesting..

I agree with the comments on storage of the CDs.. it's a bit naff. I'll try and put some inserts in to keep them protected, and also, the press conference is a bit disappointing, as others have noted.. Have to say I cringed a bit during the part where Parker kept speaking over Elvis.. very unprofessional. And Elvis' reaction when Parker is questioned about Houston.. Brilliant.

Bigtime.

Great post. It is brilliant!

Wed May 29, 2013 12:52 am

2012 was a great year.

A Boy From Tupelo
and Prince From Another Planet are among best Elvis releases of all time.

Wed May 29, 2013 12:59 am

Albert Goldman wrote:2012 was a great year.

A Boy From Tupelo

Which will be surpassed by the 40th Anniversary Stax set.

Wed May 29, 2013 1:05 am

midnightx wrote:

A Boy From Tupelo

Even Ernst can't win them all.

Wed May 29, 2013 2:47 am

KevinK wrote:I've only just gotten around to watching and listening to this release..

Bigtime.

yeah, I agree, they're great to listen to and watch!!!

Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 am

midnightx wrote:

A Boy From Tupelo

If there's a DVD of the December 13, 1973 session, you are right!

Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:

A Boy From Tupelo

If there's a DVD of the December 13, 1973 session, you are right!

I'd give my right arm to watch Elvis sing "Love Song Of The Year" & "My Boy" at the Stax during those sessions.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:23 pm

I gave the afternoon show a spin today and, boy, what an amazing release this (still) is! Who would have thought that the main label would come up with such an ambitious '70s release this late it in the game. To be honest I was never a big fan of the "An Afternoon in the Garden" CD. I think it's because of the dull sound. Here, Elvis' voice truly shines, and what a kick ass show it turned out to be after all these years...

It's good to be and Elvis fan.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
midnightx wrote:

A Boy From Tupelo

Of course, you know better by now. "Elvis at Stax" has been praised all over the place. This should teach you not to underestimate Ernst again!

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
midnightx wrote:

A Boy From Tupelo

Of course, you know better by now. "Elvis at Stax" has been praised all over the place. This should teach you not to underestimate Ernst again!

I too have praised Elvis at Stax. You are right, but I don't think that I have made a habit out of underestimating Ernst. On the other hand, Stax is not better than A Boy From Tupelo, is it?

Nice to see this thread coming back to life, Prince From Another Planet is truly a great release - I'm not tired to repeat that yet.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:23 am

My desert island Elvis choice...

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:08 am

PFAP is my go-to disc for Elvis @ MSG listening pleasure.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:12 am

These "deluxe" packages of unique events in Elvis' life make for excellent retail products, which, of course, is the name of the game for RCA. And that Ernst continues to show the company he can create such releases is very good for all of us.

It will be VERY interesting so see what he is able to put together for 2014.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

The "Live In Memphis" album from '74 is a shoe-in, no doubt. The second disc would be a Memphis soundboard from days earlier.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:37 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

The "Live In Memphis" album from '74 is a shoe-in, no doubt. The second disc would be a Memphis soundboard from days earlier.

Hopefully an UNRELEASED memphis soundboard :D

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:09 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Johnny2523 wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Hopefully an UNRELEASED memphis soundboard :D

Someting big is coming out about the SUN era in 2014 8). Expect a 3cd set boxset like Elvis At Stax including the unreleased I Forgot to Remember to Forget :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:12 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Don't know about that one, but it should be a good year.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:21 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I'd rather see him issue two unreleased live shows from the Elvis On Tour movie... in the same format as the PFAP set... that would be something special.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:47 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Speaking of Memphis, has anyone reported on the new Memphis FTD vinyl issue of this show? I'm curious if they used the same 2004 remix and mastering (with all the echo) or if they remixed and mastered again for the 2014 vinyl release. Anyone know?

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It will be VERY interesting so see what he is able to put together for 2014.

Elvis In Concert?

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:26 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I would be stunned if they did something with the '74 album for a project like this. Just don't think it's significant enough to warrant this type release.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:29 am

After The Boy From Tupelo, they couldn't put out a set about Sun, could they?