Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:39 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:I dont listen to the older CDs Now I've got PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET - the new release does the job fantastically...

If you prefer the previous releases than that's up to you but I really can't praise the new release enough.

From the DVD –– to the new Brauer mixes –– to the fabulous artwork and essayed booklet –– it's all absolutely brilliant!!

Just play it loud –– yeah baby!!

What "older CDs" are you referring to? I am referring to the Legacy Edition of Madison Square Garden, which was released simultaneously with Prince From Another Planet. It is as much a new release as Planet.

I agree that the package of Prince From Another Planet is excellent - well, apart from the CD/DVD slots which is a complete failure in design, and of course the audio...

"Scotty! I need more power! I mean, I need more compression!"

"I canna do it captain, she's givin' all the compression she's got!"

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 am

Matthew wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:I dont listen to the older CDs Now I've got PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET - the new release does the job fantastically...

If you prefer the previous releases than that's up to you but I really can't praise the new release enough.

From the DVD –– to the new Brauer mixes –– to the fabulous artwork and essayed booklet –– it's all absolutely brilliant!!

Just play it loud –– yeah baby!!

What "older CDs" are you referring to? I am referring to the Legacy Edition of Madison Square Garden, which was released simultaneously with Prince From Another Planet. It is as much a new release as Planet.

I agree that the package of Prince From Another Planet is excellent - well, apart from the CD/DVD slots which is a complete failure in design, and of course the audio...

"Scotty! I need more power! I mean, I need more compression!"

"I canna do it captain, she's givin' all the compression she's got!"

The 1997 release...

Maybe I should get the LEGACY release too? But money tight and 'Prince' Deluxe does the job well imho.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:12 am

Sorry to go on but I'm absolutely loving this set! I've always been a fan of Elvis' 1970 performances and not so keen on EOT etc. Well, vocally at least, some of the songs performed at MSG are almost on a par with TTWII, e.g. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me and You've Lost That Lovin Feelin. The oldies are treated pretty well - above average for the period, I'd say. The ballads are great and American Trilogy is outstanding. You can see that Elvis is really into it. Such a shame that the whole concert wasn't filmed professionally. It is far superior to Aloha.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:49 am

heathbarclay wrote:Sorry to go on but I'm absolutely loving this set! I've always been a fan of Elvis' 1970 performances and not so keen on EOT etc. Well, vocally at least, some of the songs performed at MSG are almost on a par with TTWII, e.g. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me and You've Lost That Lovin Feelin. The oldies are treated pretty well - above average for the period, I'd say. The ballads are great and American Trilogy is outstanding. You can see that Elvis is really into it. Such a shame that the whole concert wasn't filmed professionally. It is far superior to Aloha.

Yes I love it too. Been watching and listening non-stop...I agree he's very much on 1970 form; his whole demeanour -- very cool and classy performance on 'That's Alright' and others - PSA rocks and 'Suspicious Minds' is sensational...

And 'Trilogy' as you say...

Just can't get enough ...brilliant!!

To compare to Aloha, well that's something different altogether...But for the quintessential early 1970s performance MSG is the behemoth...

P.S. read the ALOHA article in Essential Elvis mag.

Cheers

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:58 am

My wife bought me the Prince From Another Planet set. First I loved the artwork and the packaging......very nice work! Second I played the Evening Show first and right off the bat I was very satisfied with the way it sounded. It's far better and far more superior in every way to the original release in my book. I will say its the best the Evening show has ever sounded.......well done. Third I listened to the Afternoon Show and although it was good I still prefer the original release An Afternoon In The Garden, its sounds better......Good but not better then Afternoon In The Garden. Lastly I watched the dvd and I loved it. Elvis looked like a god and I only wish the guy who filmed the Afternoon Show would have been able to film the whole thing.....again well done! Was this set worth buying? Your damn right it was. It was worth it for the new remastered sound of the Evening Show and the dvd alone in my book not to mention that the packaging was top notch. This to me is an essential set that every Elvis fan should have in their collection. Now I hope they do this for Aloha in the near future.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:42 pm

The good thing about the sound is that both shows now have almost the same, consistent sound.
The afternoon show is better with the new mix, the bass is more upfront.
AITG always sounded thin to me.
The evening show is interesting, I'm not sure yet what I prefer.
The original mix always had this 'in your face' sound which I liked.
The Brauer mix is more polished.
Close call.
The DVD could have been perfect, too bad for the gaps.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:35 pm

In any case, we can now choose from the different mixes

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Robert wrote:The good thing about the sound is that both shows now have almost the same, consistent sound.
The afternoon show is better with the new mix, the bass is more upfront.
AITG always sounded thin to me.
The evening show is interesting, I'm not sure yet what I prefer.
The original mix always had this 'in your face' sound which I liked.
The Brauer mix is more polished.
Close call.
The DVD could have been perfect, too bad for the gaps.

For years I 've wondered how good Elvis was at the gardens -- now we have some stunning footage -- the DVDs perfect to me!
We're very lucky to have this...

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:41 pm

ekenee wrote:
L Ray wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:
thenexte wrote:Sorry to say, but the PFAP remixes just doesn't do it for me, I listened to them once and the original mixes (as found on the Legacy Edition) will remain the go-to mixes for me. It's somewhat hard to describe the approach taken here but to me these remixes almost sound like a stereo fold-down of a surround mix, reminiscent of the sound usually present on DVDs with a high degree of digital manipulation (incl. delays and compression).

The main detraction for me is the distorted vocals that now sound completely unnatural, lacking in analog warmth plus mixed a bit too low for my taste. Elvis' vocals should be the center piece of any mix, sadly they are not the center piece here. Perhaps this approach works well in conjunction with the video product but in terms of pure audio enjoyment this type of manipulation is definitely a step back and way too modern for my taste.

Maybe listening to the new mixes isn't enough to soak it up. When I first heard the new mix I was not sure but after repeated plays I now love the Brauer mix. T o me Elvis' voice sounds full and clear. Also the concert sounds exciting to listen to with all instruments balanced well. I haven't yet got the Legacy version and don't know whether I will due to cost but at the end of the day it's down to your taste.

But here's a test: If you can decipher what Elvis say's on "Polk Salad Annie" (afternoon show footage) when he puts his thumb up to someone in the crowd ––" go down by the .......?" on the LEGACY edition I may indeed buy a copy.

Cheers

Yes. His voice sounds full and clear. That's what I get out of it also.

Have you done a side by side comparison of the legacy reissues?

Yes I listened to my Franklin set version and it should be the same as the Legacy. To tell the truth, they are both great and worth having but I like the Prince version more. Either way it is a win win situation for all of us.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:17 am

There is always the Legacy edition for us audiophile purists. But I am also very happy with the "Prince From Another Planet" set cause to my ears, the mixes,masterings have an acceptable compromise between audiophile grade audio and "modern" sounding live recordings. Sounds very good played through my high-end sound system and great in my car, Bose player etc. "Play it loud" indeed!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 am

Juan Luis wrote:There is always the Legacy edition for us audiophile purists. But I am also very happy with the "Prince From Another Planet" set cause to my ears, the mixes,masterings have an acceptable compromise between audiophile grade audio and "modern" sounding live recordings. Sounds very good played through my high-end sound system and great in my car, Bose player etc. "Play it loud" indeed!

Spot on. Yes it's got that live sound and as you say played loud it sounds fabulous.
As L.Ray say's it's win win whatever you listen to...

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:22 am

a mess of polk salad wrote: ...played loud it sounds fabulous.

Is there any other way to play it?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 am

iplayastrat wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote: ...played loud it sounds fabulous.

Is there any other way to play it?

No!
Good advice from Ernst...

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 am

My wife got me this set for Christmas...no local outlets had it here. I have no complaints whatsoever.... love love love it. The packaging is excellent, the CDs sound good to me, and the DVD footage is great too. People here are talking somewhat surprised that Elvis was that good in 1972; as someone who saw the show in Fort Worth, TX on that June tour, he was most definitely on his game for that run of shows. Great times, man....great times.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:47 am

FrankieRider2 wrote:My wife got me this set for Christmas...no local outlets had it here. I have no complaints whatsoever.... love love love it. The packaging is excellent, the CDs sound good to me, and the DVD footage is great too. People here are talking somewhat surprised that Elvis was that good in 1972; as someone who saw the show in Fort Worth, TX on that June tour, he was most definitely on his game for that run of shows. Great times, man....great times.

What a post - brilliant!!!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:12 am

FrankieRider2 wrote: People here are talking somewhat surprised that Elvis was that good in 1972; as someone who saw the show in Fort Worth, TX on that June tour, he was most definitely on his game for that run of shows.

What shows bookend the MSG concerts?
And do we have them on bootlegs?
If so, how do these concerts compare
to MSG?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 am

iplayastrat wrote:
FrankieRider2 wrote: People here are talking somewhat surprised that Elvis was that good in 1972; as someone who saw the show in Fort Worth, TX on that June tour, he was most definitely on his game for that run of shows.

to MSG?

Yes it would be very interesting to compare the bookend shows...

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 pm

MSG is a terrific series of performances, and some have said Elvis was even better a week later at Chicago Stadium. I also remember reading somewhere that Elvis appeared tired and unenthusiastic at Fort Worth and Wichita on the tail end of this tour, that he had already given his best at MSG and Chicago. It's good to hear that was not the case. This was a 12 day tour (as opposed to the two previous 15 day tours, and would eventually grow to 20 day tours in 1974) but if I am not mistaken they operated out of Chicago for 4-5 days of this tour, which should have allowed for more rest and recuperation if in fact that was the case.

If we could ever get RCA/BMG/FTD to release Hampton Roads we would have most of what you could wish for performance wise from this period. It ain't no big thang...just put the sumbitch out on FTD and we'll stop bugging y'all.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Soundwise I am like with food or wine. I only care if I like it or not. And after all this critizism I was a bit scared. Finally, yesterday, the set arrived to my hands. I love it. I simply do. I confess on concerts I demand a sound different to studio recordings. But I won't mask it, I am guilty of loving this release.

BTW, I got FEPB. Somehow the jungle room sessions cd mid frequencies always annoyed me (I am weird I confess it!!). Jean Marc has delivered his usual natural low bass and has fixed it. Love it too!!!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 am

iplayastrat wrote:

to MSG?

Anyone?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:04 am

It's pretty easy to look up if you want. The June 9 MSG show was the first show of the tour and the June 12 show was in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He apparently did Bridge, Reconsider Baby, and Now Or Never at this show along with the rest of the standard songs from this period.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 am

stevelecher wrote: The June 9 MSG show was the first show of the tour and the June 12 show was in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He apparently did Bridge, Reconsider Baby, and Now Or Never at this show along with the rest of the standard songs from this period.

Didn't realize it was the first show of the tour at MSG.
Is there a boot of the show on June 12?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:01 am

frus75 wrote:Soundwise I am like with food or wine. I only care if I like it or not. And after all this critizism I was a bit scared. Finally, yesterday, the set arrived to my hands. I love it. I simply do. I confess on concerts I demand a sound different to studio recordings. But I won't mask it, I am guilty of loving this release.

BTW, I got FEPB. Somehow the jungle room sessions cd mid frequencies always annoyed me (I am weird I confess it!!). Jean Marc has delivered his usual natural low bass and has fixed it. Love it too!!!

I agree on ALL points brother!

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:16 am

JEFF d wrote:
frus75 wrote:Soundwise I am like with food or wine. I only care if I like it or not. And after all this critizism I was a bit scared. Finally, yesterday, the set arrived to my hands. I love it. I simply do. I confess on concerts I demand a sound different to studio recordings. But I won't mask it, I am guilty of loving this release.

I agree on ALL points brother!

JEFF d
EP fan

My brother Jeff .... One of the most honest guys I've ever known.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:06 pm

There's the 68 Comeback, TTWII, ELVIS ON TOUR, and ALOHA - the big four - Elvis at MSG was always in the equation as an Elvis landmark - now however we have fantastic footage with the PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET release and it rightly takes its place among those amazing career milestones...