Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Simon1 wrote:Relax folks, he sounds like the typical misguided rock critic who believes a performer should have a beard to his knees, dress like a hobo, lament about social issues, look like sh*t and sound even worse.

If you look and sound like a 'Prince from another planet' you are way too good in these person's eyes.

+2...LMAO!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Simon1 wrote:Relax folks, he sounds like the typical misguided rock critic who believes a performer should have a beard to his knees, dress like a hobo, lament about social issues, look like sh*t and sound even worse.

:lol: I like the way you worded that! :lol:

DEH wrote:Yeah, let him go review Neil Young instead.

Funny you should mention Neil . . .

phpBB [video]

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm

I picked up my copy at HMV in Piccadilly , London this morning and was amazed it was only £14. I did,nt query this at the till when paying and half expected a higher price to come up on the display, but it has to be a pricing error, the two CD version was £11 so it was only a few quid more for the deluxe version. Get down to HMV now if you want a bargain.

Have listened to both shows with headphones and the sound is brilliant, saving the DVD for the weekend.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm

ML4EP wrote:http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/11/elvis-presley-prince-from-another-planet/

Not everybody seems to be impressed. Hal Horowitz gave it 3.5 stars out of 5, and of course mentioned the obligatory.... "Still, this is late period Elvis, all garish capes, high collars and sparkly jumpsuits going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves. That includes covering Creedence by way of Ike and Tina’s “Proud Mary,” Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain” and grinding out often abbreviated versions of his Sun and 60s RCA hits with a slickness unimaginable when they were recorded. Thankfully it’s still early in what was to be a bumpy five year career downslide so he’s vocally fit, animated and not yet the bloated caricature captured in countless later photos."

And summation..." It’s not Presley at his best and probably not the way most of us want to remember him. But the historical value of these shows, the crisp remastering and the overall lavish presentation makes this a respectable, if perhaps unnecessary addition to your late-Elvis collection."

I have a question, probably the same as yours after reading that....did this ignorant ass clown even listen to it before he wrote the review? Second, no sane person can call Elvis' version of Proud Mary as performed during the evening show schlocky Vegas. You want to see that, look up Tom Jones version on youtube...it's the very definition of it. As I said once before Elvis and band stomp the sh*t out of this song! It's performed with an in your face attitude that nobody else could even begin to conjure up.

I received my copy yesterday and was quite surprised at the packaging, detail, sound, etc. Somebody put alot of thought into this thankfully. I also saw the clip of Jerry Schilling on the CBS morning show and it seems the CBS folks were quite impressed as they showed the ending for Polk Salad Annie and the workout on Suspicious Minds as well. I had been surfing the internet looking for reviews of the set outside of the Elvis websites and that was the only one that seemed to be post-release. Hopefully it will get a proper review from a leading music critic. Probably wishful thinking.

My guess is the the reference to "60s hits" is actually a typo and should be "50s hits" and, if that is the case, then the criticism is fair. Presley doesn't give Hound Dog, Teddy Bear, Don't Be Cruel anything like the respect and attention he gives Never Been To Spain or Proud Mary, for example.

What's more the "clown" didn't call Proud Mary "schlocky Vegas", nor did he refer to the song with reference to schlocky Vegas. Some "clown" misread what was written, which was about the stage moves, not the singing or arrangements!

So the reviewer didn't rate the shows too highly. Big deal. Too many people here are more interested in what other people think of their idol as opposed to what they think of him themselves. It's almost as if people want their liking of Elvis to be validated by other people liking him, with their own opinion not being enough. That's why we have excitement over Elvis making an album chart, when the same people here suggest in other threads is now almost redundant due to the relatively small numbers of units involved. Or people bemoaning what is actually a perfectly valid reading of the MSG shows.

Yes, these shows are very good. But the footage also shows that the moves are toned down from Vegas a couple of years earlier, and that the shows had lost some of their personality due to the slick well-oiled machine that they had become. And, other than possibly Memphis in 1974, Elvis would never again perform with this level of enthusiasm or commitment - and that is despite the fact the oldies were already throwaways by this point. As great as these shows are, anyone who could step back and look at Presley's live shows from 1969-77 from a safe distance could quite possibly pinpoint these shows as the pivot that signals end of the "great" early 70s live period, and the beginning of the decline.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:50 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
ML4EP wrote:http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/11/elvis-presley-prince-from-another-planet/

Not everybody seems to be impressed. Hal Horowitz gave it 3.5 stars out of 5, and of course mentioned the obligatory.... "Still, this is late period Elvis, all garish capes, high collars and sparkly jumpsuits going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves. That includes covering Creedence by way of Ike and Tina’s “Proud Mary,” Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain” and grinding out often abbreviated versions of his Sun and 60s RCA hits with a slickness unimaginable when they were recorded. Thankfully it’s still early in what was to be a bumpy five year career downslide so he’s vocally fit, animated and not yet the bloated caricature captured in countless later photos."

And summation..." It’s not Presley at his best and probably not the way most of us want to remember him. But the historical value of these shows, the crisp remastering and the overall lavish presentation makes this a respectable, if perhaps unnecessary addition to your late-Elvis collection."

I have a question, probably the same as yours after reading that....did this ignorant ass clown even listen to it before he wrote the review? Second, no sane person can call Elvis' version of Proud Mary as performed during the evening show schlocky Vegas. You want to see that, look up Tom Jones version on youtube...it's the very definition of it. As I said once before Elvis and band stomp the sh*t out of this song! It's performed with an in your face attitude that nobody else could even begin to conjure up.

I received my copy yesterday and was quite surprised at the packaging, detail, sound, etc. Somebody put alot of thought into this thankfully. I also saw the clip of Jerry Schilling on the CBS morning show and it seems the CBS folks were quite impressed as they showed the ending for Polk Salad Annie and the workout on Suspicious Minds as well. I had been surfing the internet looking for reviews of the set outside of the Elvis websites and that was the only one that seemed to be post-release. Hopefully it will get a proper review from a leading music critic. Probably wishful thinking.

My guess is the the reference to "60s hits" is actually a typo and should be "50s hits" and, if that is the case, then the criticism is fair. Presley doesn't give Hound Dog, Teddy Bear, Don't Be Cruel anything like the respect and attention he gives Never Been To Spain or Proud Mary, for example.

What's more the "clown" didn't call Proud Mary "schlocky Vegas", nor did he refer to the song with reference to schlocky Vegas. Some "clown" misread what was written, which was about the stage moves, not the singing or arrangements!

So the reviewer didn't rate the shows too highly. Big deal. Too many people here are more interested in what other people think of their idol as opposed to what they think of him themselves. It's almost as if people want their liking of Elvis to be validated by other people liking him, with their own opinion not being enough. That's why we have excitement over Elvis making an album chart, when the same people here suggest in other threads is now almost redundant due to the relatively small numbers of units involved. Or people bemoaning what is actually a perfectly valid reading of the MSG shows.

Yes, these shows are very good. But the footage also shows that the moves are toned down from Vegas a couple of years earlier, and that the shows had lost some of their personality due to the slick well-oiled machine that they had become. And, other than possibly Memphis in 1974, Elvis would never again perform with this level of enthusiasm or commitment - and that is despite the fact the oldies were already throwaways by this point. As great as these shows are, anyone who could step back and look at Presley's live shows from 1969-77 from a safe distance could quite possibly pinpoint these shows as the pivot that signals end of the "great" early 70s live period, and the beginning of the decline.

No, Elvis fans don't like misguided comments about him from people who do not understand him.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:56 pm

ale wrote:IMO they should have put only the songs where there's footage, even if it is 5 secs.... having complete songs with dark screen doesn't make sense.

I agree with you, ale, but I also respect the opinion of Good Time Charlie and others that feel differently for the reasons they pointed out.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Blue River wrote:
ale wrote:IMO they should have put only the songs where there's footage, even if it is 5 secs.... having complete songs with dark screen doesn't make sense.

I agree with you, ale, but I also respect the opinion of Good Time Charlie and others that feel differently for the reasons they pointed out.

....or at least fill in the blanks with rare photos from the MSG concerts.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:29 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Blue River wrote:

....or at least fill in the blanks with rare photos from the MSG concerts.

Rare photos, well known photos, album/cd related pics... anything but a blank television screen.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:35 pm

poormadpeter wrote:The only drawback is that it would have been nice to have an option to see that footage without the blanks inbetween

Maybe they could have used still photos where the footage is missing seems a shame it's a blank screen :(

Didn't get much chance to watch or listen properly yesterday hoping to give it a good watch/listen tonight !

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Paul wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The only drawback is that it would have been nice to have an option to see that footage without the blanks inbetween

Maybe they could have used still photos where the footage is missing seems a shame it's a blank screen :(

Didn't get much chance to watch or listen properly yesterday hoping to give it a good watch/listen tonight !

I think photos would probably have worked, even if it was going to get repetitive. Or even some of the newspaper reviews reprinted in the packaging. For me the blank screen doesn't work well, but you can't please everyone.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:51 pm

The blank screen works fine for me. I quite like just closing my eyes and focusing on the music. Plus with song select I can now just run through the songs with footage now I know which ones are covered.

I agree with the observation that the reviewer is looking back with a prejudice and not with a view of EP at the time. The image is cliched now but it is clear from those who were there that the performance was fresh right from the outfit, music, song presentation etc. The true perspective can be gained by reading the original reviews. There will no doubt be mixed reviews now but in my experience mags like mojo, uncut, record collector have been very supportive of Elvis legacy and I will be interested to read their reviews.

Has anybody got any thoughts on the photo from the evening show which looks like Hound Dog, it looks like he lost his belt or did he throw it away?

Cheers Jamie

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 pm

There's a quick way to finding out whether a journalist is even qualified to write a review on an Elvis concert performance and then splash it over the net, and that is the mention of jumpsuits. When it is said that the sparkly jumpsuits are made of polyester (LOL), one immediately knows the writer has no idea of what he's talking about. Someone already made that clear to him, by writing a message to him, through Facebook, indicating that all of Presley's jumpsuits were made of a special fabric, imported from Italy. It is actuallly silk folks!!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Jamie wrote:Has anybody got any thoughts on the photo from the evening show which looks like Hound Dog, it looks like he lost his belt or did he throw it away?

Did he actually take the belt off during the evening show? I know that he did during the Sunday performance.
Last edited by Rob on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 pm

stan from tintane wrote:I presume clearances and the copyright and costs involved prevented filling in the blank screen.

Quite possibly.

That said, it wouldn't have hurt to provide a menu option to watch an edit of all the available footage without the blank screen.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:There's a quick way to finding out whether a journalist is even qualified to write a review on an Elvis concert performance and then splash it over the net, and that is the mention of jumpsuits. When it is said that the sparkly jumpsuits are made of polyester (LOL), one immediately knows the writer has no idea of what he's talking about. Someone already made that clear to him, by writing a message to him, through Facebook, indicating that all of Presley's jumpsuits were made of a special fabric, imported from Italy. It is actuallly silk folks!!

A lot of critics and some people in general have this brainwashed idea that if he is wearing a jumpsuit then he is eating 50 cheeseburgers, on 12 different drugs, is 220 lbs, had his balls drop off and the list goes on.

Yet they think the Beatles, Rolling Stones can do no wrong.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 pm

what are the exact songs that have footage????

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:15 pm

poormadpeter wrote:

Poor Mad Peter...I guess English isn't your native language as you have commented on one of my posts before and taken it completely out of context as well telling me I don't have a life and must stay up late at nite worrying about the next anti- Elvis thread. Since I found the article while searching for reviews of the cd and posted it here...let me repeat what the dude said..."going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves. That includes covering Creedence by way of Ike and Tina’s “Proud Mary,” Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain” and grinding out often abbreviated versions of his Sun and 60s RCA hits with a slickness unimaginable when they were recorded. Obviously there is no room for misunderstanding---"this includes covering Proud Mary and Never Been To Spain." By the way, Elvis is not my idol...Jack Nicklaus is. I don't need validation from you or any other person as I am quite comfortable in who I am and what I'm about. Are you one of those glass half empty kind of guys....your posts always seem so negative.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Rob wrote:
Jamie wrote:Has anybody got any thoughts on the photo from the evening show which looks like Hound Dog, it looks like he lost his belt or did he throw it away?

Did he actually take the belt off during the evening show? I know that he did during the Sunday performance.

Rob page 39 states it's a picture of the evening show. But the suit looks like the same one worn at both shows so I guess the picture could be wrongly labled. How do you know he didn't have the belt in the 11th? He is wearing it in other photos for the 11th, so what's the story? I am not disputing it just interested to know what went on?

Jamie

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:37 pm

ML4EP, using common sense and/or being reasonable isn't poormadpeter's native langauge either.
He mostly only understands complaining, arguing, and bitching about things.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread, ML4EP.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 pm

ML4EP wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Poor Mad Peter...I guess English isn't your native language as you have commented on one of my posts before and taken it completely out of context as well telling me I don't have a life and must stay up late at nite worrying about the next anti- Elvis thread. Since I found the article while searching for reviews of the cd and posted it here...let me repeat what the dude said..."going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves. That includes covering Creedence by way of Ike and Tina’s “Proud Mary,” Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain” and grinding out often abbreviated versions of his Sun and 60s RCA hits with a slickness unimaginable when they were recorded. Obviously there is no room for misunderstanding---"this includes covering Proud Mary and Never Been To Spain." By the way, Elvis is not my idol...Jack Nicklaus is. I don't need validation from you or any other person as I am quite comfortable in who I am and what I'm about. Are you one of those glass half empty kind of guys....your posts always seem so negative.

Well, firstly the writer's English stinks, but that's by the by. But he is referring solely to schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves. Then there is a full stop. The first sentence lists the things he associated with late period Elvis:

Still, this is late period Elvis, all garish capes, high collars and sparkly jumpsuits going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves.

He is then still referring to late period Elvis and what it also includes:

"That includes covering Creedence by way of Ike and Tina’s “Proud Mary,” Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain” and grinding out often abbreviated versions of his Sun and 60s RCA hits with a slickness unimaginable when they were recorded. "

His grammar is appalling; there is no need for a full stop, and it simply confuses the issue. Take the full stop out and you have the following:

"Still, this is late period Elvis, all garish capes, high collars and sparkly jumpsuits going through the somewhat schlocky Vegas, crowd pandering moves, and covering Creedence by way of Ike and Tina’s “Proud Mary,” Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain” and grinding out often abbreviated versions of his Sun and 60s RCA hits with a slickness unimaginable when they were recorded."

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:41 pm

ML4EP wrote: I don't need validation from you or any other person as I am quite comfortable in who I am and what I'm about.... your posts always seem so negative.

poormadpeter wrote:... the writer's English stinks...

So does your attitude.
Last edited by Blue River on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:There's a quick way to finding out whether a journalist is even qualified to write a review on an Elvis concert performance and then splash it over the net, and that is the mention of jumpsuits. When it is said that the sparkly jumpsuits are made of polyester (LOL), one immediately knows the writer has no idea of what he's talking about. Someone already made that clear to him, by writing a message to him, through Facebook, indicating that all of Presley's jumpsuits were made of a special fabric, imported from Italy. It is actuallly silk folks!!

It's actually wool gabardine imported from Italy. :smt023

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 pm

DEH wrote:what are the exact songs that have footage????

I am doing this from memory after watching only once so far;

The first three,
Polk salad
Heartbreak Hotel
Reconsider Baby
Hound Dog
I'll Remember you
Suspicious Minds
An American Trilogy
Can't help falling in love with you

Bear in mind some are snippets only like Reconsider Baby. But crucially the start and end of show is covered as is the key action sings like PSA and sm. Hound Dog is also great. I may have missed a few snippets but I think that is about right. :-)

I

Bear in mind that some are snippets only like Reconsider Baby but crucially the start and

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Blue River wrote:
ML4EP wrote: I don't need validation from you or any other person as I am quite comfortable in who I am and what I'm about.... your posts always seem so negative.

So does your attitude.

Who rattled your cage? I was so hoping that you had been one of those stupid enough to take on one of the election bets that got them taking a leave of absence for a month if they lost. oh well.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Blue River wrote:

So does your attitude.

Who rattled your cage? I was so hoping that you had been one of those stupid enough to take on one of the election bets that got them taking a leave of absence for a month if they lost. oh well.

phpBB [video]