Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:46 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:Mu husband turned 50 today and one of his birthday gifts I got for him was the "Prince from another planet" deluxe set. We will both enjoy watching the DVD and playing the CD's this weekend.The book looks fantastic with all those clippings and record labels and photos frrom the concert!! Money well invested! The look on his face was magic!!

Great stuff. The footage is great - all those moves...

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:47 am

The irony here, as PMP pointed out is that Prince From Another Planet - not titled Legacy Edition - actually is structured as normal (ie. non-Elvis) Legacy Editions would be.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
L Ray wrote:I agree that he took it up a notch. I suspect that these Garden shows were his best shows for the year of 1972. I saw the Nov. 72 Oakland show and I don't remember him being this active on stage, Although it was a great show that I saw. Yeah the karate moves are great.

He did do "Burning Love" at that Oakland show -- when it was #1 on the Cashbox chart. That's pretty cool.

Yes. It was a pretty good mix of songs he did at that show.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:24 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:
L Ray wrote:I agree that he took it up a notch. I suspect that these Garden shows were his best shows for the year of 1972. I saw the Nov. 72 Oakland show and I don't remember him being this active on stage, Although it was a great show that I saw. Yeah the karate moves are great.

Wow! You saw him in the 70s...

Yes. I am from San Franciso Bay Area, So I saw him in 1970, SF and Oakland. 1972 Oakland and 1976 SF, first show only. I was able to reach out and go to 2 shows in Tahoe, 74 and 76. Also Las Vegas, 69 and 75. A good mix of showroom and concert halls.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:59 am

L Ray wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

He did do "Burning Love" at that Oakland show -- when it was #1 on the Cashbox chart. That's pretty cool.

Yes. It was a pretty good mix of songs he did at that show.

What is significant is this is the last time Elvis is #1 on the singles charts and touring. It happened in 1956, 1957 and 1972 only. Again, pretty cool stuff. The 40th anniversary of that Oakland show was just last week (11-11-1972).

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:44 am

Hi,

I received my copy of Prince From Another Planet and added my review to my blog -

http://peterlewryblog.weebly.com/

Peter

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:16 am

L Ray wrote:

Yes. I am from San Franciso Bay Area, So I saw him in 1970, SF and Oakland. 1972 Oakland and 1976 SF, first show only. I was able to reach out and go to 2 shows in Tahoe, 74 and 76. Also Las Vegas, 69 and 75. A good mix of showroom and concert halls.

What was the best show? The Tahoe shows must have been interesting...any karate? 8)
The karate action on 'prince' is stunning...also what does Elvis say during 'Polk' - go down by the...then he signals to someone in the crowd. I can't make it out, maybe you can?

Thanks

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:54 pm

I got the CD/DVD version via Amazon on Thursday and I am blown away by this fine release.

As a native New Yorker, I've always felt a connection to the MSG record and I'm thrilled they
went ahead with this big project.

I liked the mini-documentary and can imagine others working to flesh out some of those raw clips
(that are matched to the concert)later on. Writer/ musician Lenny Kaye contributes some great comments
and as a New Yorker who was there,adds a special flair to it, as do his liner notes.

I enjoyed the packaging , newspaper clippings, shots of other MSG releases, etc. This is a treat
for all Elvis fans that 40 years later, we see such a labor of love put out by the main label.

I just listened to the evening show last night and the remainder this morning. It's definitely the
best I've ever heard this show in terms of sound and interesting to hear the full tape,
with a couple of extra moments here and there, including the hawking of Elvis stuff
after he "left the building."

Cheers to all who helped make it happen!

Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:22 pm

the footage is really outstanding!! but how can such release, what you can buy in the shops make a dvd with almost complete black footage ?????was this made in hurry??? why not only a dvd with just the footage?? and what about the local tv footage there is just much more !!!i think nobody knows exact how much there was filmed i guess

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:57 pm

L Ray wrote:

What was the best show? The Tahoe shows must have been interesting...any karate? 8)
The karate action on 'prince' is stunning...also what does Elvis say during 'Polk' - go down by the...then he signals to someone in the crowd. I can't make it out, maybe you can?

Thanks

Best show was 1969. Lots of karate during the instrumental break in What'd I Say. I don't remember seeing much karate in other shows but the 2 70's concerts were simular to what you see in That's The Way It Is. The 69 concert and the 2 from 70 were the best for me. 1968 through 1970 are just great years. With the TV Special and the live shows that followed in 1969 and 1970 along with all the great studio recordings. Elvis was really Elvis more then, than he was later. Elvis did a pretty long show in Lake Tahoe on May 7, 1976 midnight show. He was really in a good mood and sang Burning Love at that show.

I'll have to listen to Polk Sald and see if I have an answer for you. Maybe someone else will before i do.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:45 pm

L Ray wrote:
L Ray wrote:

Thanks

Best show was 1969. Lots of karate during the instrumental break in What'd I Say. I don't remember seeing much karate in other shows but the 2 70's concerts were simular to what you see in That's The Way It Is. The 69 concert and the 2 from 70 were the best for me. 1968 through 1970 are just great years. With the TV Special and the live shows that followed in 1969 and 1970 along with all the great studio recordings. Elvis was really Elvis more then, than he was later. Elvis did a pretty long show in Lake Tahoe on May 7, 1976 midnight show. He was really in a good mood and sang Burning Love at that show.

I'll have to listen to Polk Sald and see if I have an answer for you. Maybe someone else will before i do.

Amazing!

Thanks

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Got my copy today. The sound is great, the DVD is well worth it. Stellar package, well done and thank you to all involved.

2012 has been a fine Elvis year!

Geoff

Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Did a quick comparison of the old cd Afternoon In The Garden. It is still good but I think this new version is a clear winner for me. Everything seems clearer on the new CD. I hear more of what is going on. I feel like I'm there. Again it is like hearing something new that I have not heard before, even though I've listened to the old version many times. I think at least for the afternoon show, I will probably only play the new one from now on. It would be great if this guy could do the Aloha shows also.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 pm

I am still surprised about Elvis' voice. It sounds so much better now than on the original album and "An Afternoon in the Garden". And the footage is so nice to watch, it really enhances the experience. I love this release.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:03 pm

There are no copies of this in any of the stores in my area (Denver), not even Walmart. I think it's strange that a normal release (not FTD) is available online only especially during the black Friday/Christmas season.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:17 am

ep2 wrote:the footage is really outstanding!! but how can such release, what you can buy in the shops make a dvd with almost complete black footage ?????was this made in hurry??? why not only a dvd with just the footage?? and what about the local tv footage there is just much more !!!i think nobody knows exact how much there was filmed i guess

Agree on both accounts. They left more NBC footage behind.
Also, the back spots should have been left out so the fabulous footage could have been seen in total.
On top of that the distribution is a failure.
Why invest in an expensive remix and obtain rare footage but no Elvis fan is able to find it in store?
Only us hardcore fans know about this product but this is no FTD.
Great quality product but Sony dropped the ball here.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:22 am

My PFAP package came in yesterday, and so far I've listened to the evening show up to For the Good times. All I can say is WOW! I'm stunned by how much better the sound quality is! I checked out the documentary this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've only been able to look at the footage of a few songs, but so far I like what I see. Goodness gracious what a terrific release this is! Well done Ernst, Rog and everybody else involved in the project!

But I confess to an edge of sadness. Elvis was at the top of the world at this point in time, knockin' 'em dead in arguably the most famous venue in the world and to think that in a little over 5 years he would be gone ...

But this is the Elvis I think of when I think of the 70's Elvis.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:37 am

Robert wrote:
ep2 wrote:the footage is really outstanding!! but how can such release, what you can buy in the shops make a dvd with almost complete black footage ?????was this made in hurry??? why not only a dvd with just the footage?? and what about the local tv footage there is just much more !!!i think nobody knows exact how much there was filmed i guess

Agree on both accounts. They left more NBC footage behind.
Also, the back spots should have been left out so the fabulous footage could have been seen in total.
On top of that the distribution is a failure.
Why invest in an expensive remix and obtain rare footage but no Elvis fan is able to find it in store?
Only us hardcore fans know about this product but this is no FTD.
Great quality product but Sony dropped the ball here.

You can't make a store stock your item. They will only stock it if there is a potential for them to make money. Obviously stores don't think that this type of product from Elvis will make them money, and that it will simply take up valuable shelf space. They know how much trade they get from Elvis product much more than we do, and if it is minimal, then they won't stock it. Ironically, from what we have heard, An Afternoon in the Garden has been available in America at a knockdown price for the last year or so - so that's killed any passing interest the casual buyer will have in the item, as they already have half of the audio from Prince already.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 am

It would be interesting to hear some explanation from Ernst why this decision was made. From your casual buyers view the decision is very odd. Specially as unseen footage has been the major selling point.

As far as the CD's goes this release is fantastic and when looking at it as a CD release (which it obviously is), it's an outstanding release.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:16 am

poormadpeter wrote:You can't make a store stock your item.

you can if you know the owner, works for me all the time - owner got about 20 copies in of PFAP just for the holiday season :lol: cheers

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:32 am

Those complaining about not seeing this in stores - welcome to the Internet, you'll like it here.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:58 am

Matthew wrote:Those complaining about not seeing this in stores - welcome to the Internet, you'll like it here.

I got my copy today at best buy. They had the cd version and the box set. I got the only(last?) box set on the shelf.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:09 am

Pete Dube wrote:My PFAP package came in yesterday, and so far I've listened to the evening show up to For the Good times. All I can say is WOW! I'm stunned by how much better the sound quality is! I checked out the documentary this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've only been able to look at the footage of a few songs, but so far I like what I see. Goodness gracious what a terrific release this is! Well done Ernst, Rog and everybody else involved in the project!

But I confess to an edge of sadness. Elvis was at the top of the world at this point in time, knockin' 'em dead in arguably the most famous venue in the world and to think that in a little over 5 years he would be gone ...

But this is the Elvis I think of when I think of the 70's Elvis.

I agree Pete. So far I've only heard the evening show on Disc 2, and it blew my socks off. When Ronnie kicked things off with that introductory drum roll, and my sub woofer shoke the house, and "That's All Right" blared out the speakers, I had a big smile on my face.

The mix and mastering is STUNNING. I picked up so many new neaunces that I've never heard before. I've said this before, but not only is Elvis' vocals out of this world, but the TCB band is on fire. Tight as hell, and playing their asses off.

Two BIG thumbs up :smt023

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:17 am

While I think this is a great release, I think we do need to calm down a little bit here. The mix is great - but it only sounds as good as it does to us because the original was so awful! This is how it should have sounded for the last forty years folks!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:40 am

To be honest, I doubt whether they Could have made it sound like this 40 years ago.