Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:42 am

elvis-fan wrote:Just listened to Hound Dog from the evening show through headphones on my home system... while it is obviously far removed from his 1956 classic - this version kicks serious a$$... when he kicks it into high gear and the crowd goes wild... AWESOME! Just AWESOME!!! You absolutely MUST hear this show through a decent quality set of headphones... its a tremendous experience!!!


I did my A/B with my trusty AKG K 240s.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:51 am

elvisjock wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Just listened to Hound Dog from the evening show through headphones on my home system... while it is obviously far removed from his 1956 classic - this version kicks serious a$$... when he kicks it into high gear and the crowd goes wild... AWESOME! Just AWESOME!!! You absolutely MUST hear this show through a decent quality set of headphones... its a tremendous experience!!!

I did my A/B with my trusty AKG K 240s.

Sorry...mine was just a general statement... wasn't commenting on your post...

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 am

I got my long awaited copy of PFAP in the mail last night when I got home and have spun the DVD twice so far and Evening Show. This is quite a stunning package. The close ups of Elvis during the Afternoon Show on the DVD are amazing and I am amazed that footage in this quality is still unseen. Usually it's gonna be bootlegged all to hell in 5th generation quality. And yes I have also seen the 1972 New York Experience DVD.

One can only hope they are able to piece together all of the remaining footage in superb 1st generation quality in a super deluxe MSG video Premium Package under FTD. God I hope that comes out someday.

It is my hope that PFAP is the kind of package they're using to test the waters for future video releases. It is also my hope they sell the hell out of it and that it DOES result in more releases of this nature.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:00 am

Received this set yesterday. The SQ is outstanding and the package is done beautifully. But I must say I'm a bit dissapointed with the DVD. It's a bit boring to watch the show when most of it's actually missing and you're left with a sound and a blank screen. Wish they would have filled in the blanks with stills or something else. Another thing is that the PQ doesn't look great on a big screen tv. Also, since the DVD has a multichannel possibility, it would have been cool for them to include the vintage quodraphonic mix. I can't imagine it adding much extra costs to the package. Now we have the same stereo mix twice. Great release but the DVD didn't impress me as much as I thought it would.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:53 pm

IMO it seems the 1997 release of the afternoon show used the evening show's version of 2001 (note the warble at the end of the track which is audible since the release of the eveneing show release) but has now been replaced with the correct version from 10/6/72 a/s.

Re the e/s: there is a very clear "click' heard at the conclusion of Hound Dog leading in to Suspicious Minds heard on the Legacy version which makes me still question the long debated beliefs about edits and the re-arrangment of tracks, as well as the really 're-mastering" from the 'same da.mn tape' that was used to record the show versus what may be used in 2012 to remaster tape of the LP from 1972.

Anyhow, Duke, very happy with the current product.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 pm

This release is my favorite release in years! According to my personal taste this is the way Elvis live music should be mixed and mastered.

It was like hearing a new concert and everything started making sense. I flet like the concert was recorded yesterday.

There was more sense of the venue but at the same time I can hear more details. Elvis voice sounds better then I was expecting.

I can only imagine how good EOT concerts could sound, not to mention that's the way it is !

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:IMO it seems the 1997 release of the afternoon show used the evening show's version of 2001 (note the warble at the end of the track which is audible since the release of the eveneing show release) but has now been replaced with the correct version from 10/6/72 a/s.

Re the e/s: there is a very clear "click' heard at the conclusion of Hound Dog leading in to Suspicious Minds heard on the Legacy version which makes me still question the long debated beliefs about edits and the re-arrangment of tracks, as well as the really 're-mastering" from the 'same da.mn tape' that was used to record the show versus what may be used in 2012 to remaster tape of the LP from 1972.

Anyhow, Duke, very happy with the current product.


Did you notice Elvis clearing his throat after Impossible Dream? That's not part of the Legacy presentation. There's also no fade-in before Impossible Dream, as there's been on all other CD releases.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Very nice release. I have never been a big fan of these shows. Many years ago, when I had just bought my first Elvis records, I thought the 1974 Memphis show was far better -- especially Elvis' voice. I still like that show better, but it's interesting to note that Elvis' voice does sound much better and clearer now. Great job, whatever they did...

The package is beautiful. I like the size of the booklet, it makes for perfekt reading. Much better than regular CDs.The way the discs are stored, though, is just stupid...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:04 pm

The sound of his voice on I'll Remember You, on the line, "Oh so lonely," flat gets me.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:10 pm

One thing I haven't seen mentioned that struck me as obvious when viewing the DVD footage is that the closing of Can't Help Falling in Love is off by a few seconds. While I can partially understand, given that the video doesn't begin until the last few notes of the song, you can clearly see that Elvis is still singing in the video while the audio is already heading into the closing riff. It's too bad because it throws off Elvis' movements just a bit, so when he puches the air with his cape the audio for that moment has already passed. A minor point, but one thing that I was disappointed about as the closing moments are something I really enjoy watching.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Quick question: The two shows on the 3 disc set have been remixed while the two shows on the Legacy set have only been remastered correct?

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Great Release Indeed -Enjoy Y'all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Thats correct Pete Dube.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:11 pm

I've just received my copy of the Legacy edition with the DVD. Only running through the CD's at this time. This is really great! The "beeing there" feeling is all there. And the sound and details are simply stunning imo. This is how I like to listen to "live" Elvis too! The best Elvis release in years. And they have been many and good! This is almost like listening to complete new concerts. Moaners may have their field days on this, but I for one simply love it already after one spin! :)

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:06 pm

what i notice is that on the 2 mixes, nowhere can the mistake of the intro of cant help by Glen D be heard before i can't stop loving you (Like it was on the venus CD) did they again take that part out?

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Patrick68 wrote:Thats correct Pete Dube.


Thank you Patrick.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:25 pm

I just watched the DVD.....and I like it A LOT :smt007 . The concert sound is really great and I enjoyed watching the footage popping up on the screen from time to time. Well ofcause it would have been great if it had all been there, but better something than nothing, I`ll for sure watch it again soon. Now I`m on to listening to the evening show. :D

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Great release, superb sound, but one big minor "the blank spots" if this been meant as a mainstream release than some will be very disapponted, this is not the most creative way to deal with the loss off footage.

Perhaps dicussed often but why was the following footage only partly used in the documentary and not fully used as part of the concert ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPXTSjQYHA

And what about the footage of "Jonas Mekas" did they try to track this down?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUUcKamxD5Q

Has there have been any thoughts about trying to create a more complete concert,
You'd think this was the perfect moment to do so.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:22 am

Received this beauty today. Wish Amazon had shipped it in a box instead of a bubbled envelope but I did get it with minimal spine bending. Went over the 2 shows quickly. I enjoy the new mixes, though they are a little 'busy' (lots going on in the center, little on either sides). The evening show now seems to be complete, with no in-between song edits. Is it just me or do we hear someone singing 'That's All Right' along with the closing vamp?

Wish the press conference was more complete. It's annoying to hear a question being asked only to have the video cut to something else before Elvis can answer.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:42 am

elvisjock wrote:I've just spent some time listening to the Legacy and Prince evening shows side by side.

The sound is dramatically brighter on Prince. The reverb and delay on the Prince Elvis is an obvious difference from what we're used to on Legacy.

But, I hear very little in terms of a different mix. The instruments and vocalists, to my ears, have the same placement they've always had. The audience, though, is more prominent on Prince. Listen to the reaction as Elvis has the house lights turned up. On Legacy, we hear an outburts of shreiks that quickly trails off. There is a more sustained level of excitement (a second or two) on Prince.

So, unless I'm getting my terminology backwards, the mix is not very different. The mastering is very different. I know this material by heart. If there was a new riff or cymbal crash in there, I think it would jump out at me.

I quite enjoyed the extended, Big Al announcements at the end. Guy had to have stones to get out there, in Manhattan, and work that carnival crap.

Does anyone know the identity of the female reporter we hear in the press conference? She sounds so distinctive. Somebody out there must remember her. I get a kick how, after she asks Elvis a question about women's lib, he sweetly brushes it off and calls her "Dear." I'm sure he didn't think twice about it.

Very nice recap -- thank you.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 am

karlos wrote:Great Release Indeed -Enjoy Y'all

lovely pic karlos :smt023

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 am

What a fantastic package.I've watched the DVD and listened to the evening show and am delighted with the quality.To see Elvis on stage giving it his all and being in total control in front of a wild crowd is a joy to behold.Perhaps they could have done something with the blank screen and used some concert pics but it doesn't bother me.The sound on the evening show is fantastic.Elvis sounds great but it's the TCB band being turned up and crystal clear and just rockin' that does it for me.Every guitar lick,bass line,piano and drum beat are there to be heard.The orchestra seems quite low in the mix on some songs but that suits me fine.The crowd noise too makes me feel the excitement of the event without getting in the way.By far the best presentation we've had from these historic shows.

norrie.

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:I've just spent some time listening to the Legacy and Prince evening shows side by side.

The sound is dramatically brighter on Prince. The reverb and delay on the Prince Elvis is an obvious difference from what we're used to on Legacy.

But, I hear very little in terms of a different mix. The instruments and vocalists, to my ears, have the same placement they've always had. The audience, though, is more prominent on Prince. Listen to the reaction as Elvis has the house lights turned up. On Legacy, we hear an outburts of shreiks that quickly trails off. There is a more sustained level of excitement (a second or two) on Prince.

So, unless I'm getting my terminology backwards, the mix is not very different. The mastering is very different. I know this material by heart. If there was a new riff or cymbal crash in there, I think it would jump out at me.

I quite enjoyed the extended, Big Al announcements at the end. Guy had to have stones to get out there, in Manhattan, and work that carnival crap.

Does anyone know the identity of the female reporter we hear in the press conference? She sounds so distinctive. Somebody out there must remember her. I get a kick how, after she asks Elvis a question about women's lib, he sweetly brushes it off and calls her "Dear." I'm sure he didn't think twice about it.

Very nice recap -- thank you.


Thank you.

He is just - so - damned - cool, at these shows. This is where the Vegas/Concert years could have come to a triumphant conclusion. How would things have been different if he brought the curtain down after New York? It's just remarkable, in a bad way, that he would seem so neutered, in Hawaii, only seven months later. Recall his conversation with the Elvis on Tour producer, where he said the movie frustration got to the point that it made him physically ill. I wonder if it ever occurred to him, from '73 going forward, that he'd fallen into the very same trap, only this time with live performances?

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 am

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:I've just spent some time listening to the Legacy and Prince evening shows side by side.

The sound is dramatically brighter on Prince. The reverb and delay on the Prince Elvis is an obvious difference from what we're used to on Legacy.

But, I hear very little in terms of a different mix. The instruments and vocalists, to my ears, have the same placement they've always had. The audience, though, is more prominent on Prince. Listen to the reaction as Elvis has the house lights turned up. On Legacy, we hear an outburts of shreiks that quickly trails off. There is a more sustained level of excitement (a second or two) on Prince.

So, unless I'm getting my terminology backwards, the mix is not very different. The mastering is very different. I know this material by heart. If there was a new riff or cymbal crash in there, I think it would jump out at me.

I quite enjoyed the extended, Big Al announcements at the end. Guy had to have stones to get out there, in Manhattan, and work that carnival crap.

Does anyone know the identity of the female reporter we hear in the press conference? She sounds so distinctive. Somebody out there must remember her. I get a kick how, after she asks Elvis a question about women's lib, he sweetly brushes it off and calls her "Dear." I'm sure he didn't think twice about it.

Very nice recap -- thank you.


Thank you.

He is just - so - damned - cool, at these shows. This is where the Vegas/Concert years could have come to a triumphant conclusion. How would things have been different if he brought the curtain down after New York? It's just remarkable, in a bad way, that he would seem so neutered, in Hawaii, only seven months later. Recall his conversation with the Elvis on Tour producer, where he said the movie frustration got to the point that it made him physically ill. I wonder if it ever occurred to him, from '73 going forward, that he'd fallen into the very same trap, only this time with live performances?


I think it probably did enter his mind especially when you see and hear the sincerity in his wish to play Europe and Japan at the MSG press conference.Instead (aloha apart) it was the same Vegas stints and tours that offered little challenge.

norrie

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:46 am

bajo wrote:I've just received my copy of the Legacy edition with the DVD.

bajo, the Legacy Edition does not come with a DVD.
It looks like this - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... =1&s=music