Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Prince..." a Grammy nomination

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:44 pm

After seeing that Young Man With A Big Beat got a Grammy nomination last year, I have to think that with all the national media frenzy around Prince From Another Planet along with early pre-order sales for first week numbers, that it too will be a Grammy nominee. This time, I think he'll have a greater chance at finally winning a Grammy for something other than Gospel music. And deservingly so.

Re: "Prince..." a Grammy nomination

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:45 am

Now that would be something, it's certainly a landmark release in lots of ways. Fingers crossed it gets the sales and recognition it deserves

Cheers j

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:35 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:After seeing that Young Man With A Big Beat got a Grammy nomination last year, I have to think that with all the national media frenzy around Prince From Another Planet along with early pre-order sales for first week numbers, that it too will be a Grammy nominee. This time, I think he'll have a greater chance at finally winning a Grammy for something other than Gospel music.

Wouldn't a Grammy nomination be for Ernst, the main producer of the set, not the deceased artist?
Also, wasn't Ernst the one nominated for his work on Young Man With The Big Beat, not the deceased artist?

I'm thinking "yes" in both cases.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:59 am

Well in cases like this, it's always for the compilers/artists rather than the deceased artists because the deceased artists made the work long ago. I mean you wouldn't expect Charles Dickens to be getting some award for some brilliant new edition of Great Expectations. The award for something like this is for helping us to appreciate the work that was done so long ago. In the grander scheme of things, it validates that original work though because the effort has to be behind something. If the original work has no merit then why bother?

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:09 am

Blue River wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:After seeing that Young Man With A Big Beat got a Grammy nomination last year, I have to think that with all the national media frenzy around Prince From Another Planet along with early pre-order sales for first week numbers, that it too will be a Grammy nominee. This time, I think he'll have a greater chance at finally winning a Grammy for something other than Gospel music.

Wouldn't a Grammy nomination be for Ernst, the main producer of the set, not the deceased artist?
Also, wasn't Ernst the one nominated for his work on Young Man With The Big Beat, not the deceased artist?

I'm thinking "yes" in both cases.

likethebike wrote:Well in cases like this, it's always for the compilers/artists rather than the deceased artists because the deceased artists made the work long ago. I mean you wouldn't expect Charles Dickens to be getting some award for some brilliant new edition of Great Expectations. The award for something like this is for helping us to appreciate the work that was done so long ago. In the grander scheme of things, it validates that original work though because the effort has to be behind something. If the original work has no merit then why bother?

Translation - Yes and Yes to my questions.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 am

Hello,

I asked Ernst about this recently and he said that he didn't submit "A Boy From Tupelo" but that he expects Sony to submit "Prince From Another Planet." It wouldn't be eligible for a Grammy nomination until the 2014 Grammy ceremonies as the deadline has already passed for the 2013 Grammy ceremonies. (Oct. 1, 2011-Sept. 30, 2012).

http://www.eonline.com/news/320152/2013 ... get-a-date

Daryl