Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

No Elvis Fan Club in Ireland?

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:36 am

It appears that there is now no operating Elvis fan club in Ireland. The two that did try and get some attention were the Official Club and the Elvis social club. Neither of their websites have been updated in years and there is no other way of communication to and from them and without Facebook pages they seem to be well out of touch. It is a shame that Ireland is the hardest place to find a large collective group of fans operating together to keep Elvis's name in the limelight :( I'm sure there are fans here but its sad not to be able to find a club to have nights and events with.

Re: No Elvis Fan Club in Ireland?

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:28 am

Fan clubs are dead! Long live the Internet!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:34 am

This is a shame if thats the way things are going. Other than those who can afford to go to Graceland every August 16th there will be no reason or organised event for Elvis fans to get together.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Elvis social club still has nights out in dublin and there is a small club in belfast

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:48 pm

tigerman_2 wrote:Elvis social club still has nights out in dublin and there is a small club in belfast

Sounds interesting. I've never heard of this. Where do they advertise?

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Yes, there is indeed an active Elvis fan club in Dublin.
jjsmith and Kevink I have sent you both PM's with the contact details.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to contact me. I found the Elvis social club website with John's contacts but it seems, and dont get me wrong, a bit underground and shady. There is no Facebook page for any Irish Elvis Club (in this day and age thats essential) and their websites haven't been updated in years. Im a huge fan and Im concerned for the interest in Ireland as I see a lot of British and continental Europe clubs actually working their sites and getting attention and informing new and young people about Elvis. Accoridng to EPE their are 5 clubs in Ireland including the Northern Ireland one (which seems to make a little effort) but you would never know they exist until I hunted the information about them down. Its such a shame for the little island that it is that they all dont merge to make one big club like the great Official one in Britain.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:10 pm

you had the bundoran elvis festival which has moved to dundalk this year if im not misstaken

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 pm

tigerman_2 wrote:you had the bundoran elvis festival which has moved to dundalk this year if im not misstaken

Bundoran Elvis festival??? Never heard of that.
Elvis *and* surfing. It's a winning combination.. shame it's moved tbh..

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:30 pm

tigerman_2 wrote:you had the bundoran elvis festival which has moved to dundalk this year if im not misstaken

The bundoran what?? I never heard of this. This country really needs one fully operating fan club to keep a website that informs the country of Everything Elvis going on here.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:17 am

you guys want to get more often

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:20 am

I'd vote for rizzy to be chairman.

::rocks

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:49 am

tigerman_2 wrote:you guys want to get more often

take 2 you guys want to get out more often

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:45 am

Whats that supposed to mean tigerman_2? I get out plenty and I don't think going outside in Dublin city is going to bring you in touch with places like Bundoran. I had to actually look that place up to see what county it was in. I was also dissapointed to see its only an impersonator thing. It just appears that those in charge of looking after Elvis related events in Ireland are beyond the age which keep them in the realm of the internet unfortunately. I looked into setting up a fan club in Ireland many years ago but EPE said there were enough in Ireland already. I had no idea there were any at all and I don't think getting out has anything to do with it.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:32 am

jjsmith wrote:Whats that supposed to mean tigerman_2? I get out plenty and I don't think going outside in Dublin city is going to bring you in touch with places like Bundoran. I had to actually look that place up to see what county it was in. I was also dissapointed to see its only an impersonator thing. It just appears that those in charge of looking after Elvis related events in Ireland are beyond the age which keep them in the realm of the internet unfortunately. I looked into setting up a fan club in Ireland many years ago but EPE said there were enough in Ireland already. I had no idea there were any at all and I don't think getting out has anything to do with it.

Looks like there's a gap in the market JJsmith?
Maybe it's time a proper fan club or something was set up for Irish followers.. I'd be happy to help out any way I can..
Wouldn't it be great to have Elvis meets in Ireland?

Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:39 pm

i have not been in dublin for a while but john has nights in O'Sheas Hotel and big weekend events in the red cow there is times he may not be active for some reasons but tings are still goin on as for a starting a fan club i would not bother with EPE

Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Tigerman_2, I can see you are trying to be helpful with your previous post and I appreciate it. Nonetheless, I have not seen any actual evidence of events happening, no promotion, no Facebook page, no website updates, no adverts. Even if they do have get togethers it does seem all dark and seedy to me and it also appears they are only catering to an elderly crowd who find out about this stuff from worth of mouth which is very pre 2000s to me. The fan clubs need a really big shake up. If there are 5 registered clubs there is obviously a group of fans in each. Imagine if they all pulled together to make one huge collective group of fans with big promoted nights. There would be more money generated for decent venues and more special guests and to keep reaching young fans. Having said all that, by todays standards in everything social there is no active fan club in Ireland because I have seen no evidence of one and this is going on for years.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:03 pm

the night where kevin doyle played in the point with the tcb band and the jordanaires was run by john also the tcb band have been in the red cow plus other guests on a good few occasions and nights like that had up to a 1000 people at them also the point held at that time 8000 and it was nere a full house

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:59 pm

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Official- ... 4089885492

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Yes, its funny really. The only "Irish" Elvis fan club page to have a Facebook page is outside of actual Ireland. I'm glad they are progressive and I hope they continue to keep their fans up-to-date. Just like the fan clubs on mainland Britain, even the fan clubs in the British commonwealth work to b recognised.

The Kevin Doyle thing was well promoted, thats for sure. Its just no fan clubs are well promoted.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:30 pm

The only "Irish" Elvis fan club page to have a Facebook page is outside of actual Ireland.

as i said before you need to get out more from where you are you could walk to the events of this club without getting your feet wet

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Tigerman_2, I don't understand the Getting out more often comments? The internet is where everything gets publicised nowadays. I am out plenty as already stated. There is nothing to do with fan clubs in Ireland promoted anywhere. I don't know why you keep coming back to protest the case. Why is it in ireland I know everything there is to know about several fan clubs in Britain and all around the world for that matter but nothing in my own country and I live in the Capital City? All the getting out in the world doesnt make me find fan clubs in Britain and around the world. They are to be found easily on the Internet and on Facebook. This is the year 2011 after all.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:14 pm

hope to see you in dundalk this weekend for the elvis festival jj

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:38 pm

jjsmith wrote:Hi there and thank you for taking the time to contact me. I found the Elvis social club website with John's contacts but it seems, and dont get me wrong, a bit underground and shady. There is no Facebook page for any Irish Elvis Club (in this day and age thats essential) and their websites haven't been updated in years. Im a huge fan and Im concerned for the interest in Ireland as I see a lot of British and continental Europe clubs actually working their sites and getting attention and informing new and young people about Elvis. Accoridng to EPE their are 5 clubs in Ireland including the Northern Ireland one (which seems to make a little effort) but you would never know they exist until I hunted the information about them down. Its such a shame for the little island that it is that they all dont merge to make one big club like the great Official one in Britain.

The problem with that is that there has always been someone else who starts up their own organisation thereby making less people at the original one, although many fade away. In Gt Britain, we also have "Essential Elvis", "Elvis the man and his music", "Elvis.co.uk", "Strictly Elvis (Arena)", "Yesterday one more" and others now doing magazines and events, plus ex Fan Club branch leaders who got fed up with Todd Slaughter, who do their own events, often with only a handful of bods showing up so, naturally when you get many organisations like this, you will see less and less at events as the same number of fans are spread over several places and can't afford to go to loads of differnt socials in the same area. In Ireland, John DOES do regular events - I worked at one a few years back and there was an excellent turn out, although it WAS mostly Elvis 'impersonators' on the show. Hiowever, if you have many more events in Ireland, it'll just water down the events that John already organises. The same happened in London for a while where someone else set up in competition of the official London Fan Club branch, meaning that both events only got around half of the dwindling numbers of Elvis fans each at these discos.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:15 am

Hi Tony, nice to hear what you have to say and its interesting to hear how things have gone in the UK. I have seen more mention of John's Elvis fan club in the past more than any other and I listen to his local radio show most Sundays. He does seem to be the one leading the way here. I actually don't know anything of what the other clubs in Ireland do and apparently there's 3 other ones in the republic of ireland. I doubt John's club is being challenged much as result of this. I just seem to doubt theres much of a devoted following in Ireland. I'd love to be wrong but as a passionate Elvis fan I can't seem to find any truly active club. Saying that I did recently come across this page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/elvisandireland but I'm not exactly sure if its just a fun fan page or a club.