Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis Saw Nancy at Caesar's --> It's Really No Mystery N

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:48 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Why did Elvis go to see all these MOR crooners?...Why didn't he go to see people like, The Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin etc...more exciting then going to see Nancy in Vegas. Like them, Elvis was a Rock'n'Roller...it might have reminded him of what it was all about, again.

I can't think of any good reason why Elvis shouldn't have gone to see Nancy Sinatra at Caesar's Palace. First of all, they were friends and she had seen him in concert previously. Nancy was also a popular and talented singer who was appearing at a highly prestigious venue. Furthermore, Elvis was friendly with her dad and could also enjoy the company of Tom Jones, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire and another good friend in Sammy Davis, Jr. Perhaps not at this particular show, but this was good company whom Elvis had kept on occasions when he still ventured out and had every reason to be optimistic about his own future. Conversely, would Elvis have actually enjoyed a Led Zeppelin, The Who or a Rolling Stones concert?!
Last edited by greystoke on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks Doc. Great research as always.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 am

greystoke wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Why did Elvis go to see all these MOR crooners?...Why didn't he go to see people like, The Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin etc...more exciting then going to see Nancy in Vegas. Like them, Elvis was a Rock'n'Roller...it might have reminded him of what it was all about, again.

I can't think of any good reason why Elvis shouldn't have gone to see Nancy Sinatra at Caesar's Palace. First of all, they were friends and she had seen him in concert previously. Nancy was also a popular and talented singer who was appearing at a highly prestigious venue. Furthermore, Elvis was friendly with her dad and could also enjoy the company of Tom Jones, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire and another good friend in Sammy Davis, Jr. Perhaps not at this particular show, but this was good company whom Elvis had kept on occasions when he still ventured out and had every reason to be optimistic about his own future. Conversely, would Elvis have actually enjoyed a Led Zeppelin, The Who or a Rolling Stones concert?!

All great points. Plus, Elvis was in town at the International, rehearsing for his 8-10-1970 OS. Getting to the gig would be a 5-minute drive.

No doubt the hard rock represented by those examples would not have appealed to him. Had he attended a show, the band in question would have been beside themselves with excitement and fear. Elvis was still Elvis.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 am

Juan Luis wrote:Thanks Doc. Great research as always.

Thank you.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 am

greystoke wrote:

Yes, i get all the points you've made. Elvis was incarcerated (practically made it his home) in vegas. So it was convinent for him. But, surely curiosity entered his mind about these bands. Part of it, i think, is that Elvis lived a very sheltered life, he never went anywhere...being stuck in vegas and
under immense amount of pressure because of it. Vegas was a bad mistake for Presley, i think.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:39 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
greystoke wrote:

Yes, i get all the points you've made. Elvis was incarcerated (practically made it his home) in vegas. So it was convinent for him. But, surely curiosity entered his mind about these bands. Part of it, i think, is that Elvis lived a very sheltered life, he never went anywhere...being stuck in vegas and
under immense amount of pressure because of it. Vegas was a bad mistake for Presley, i think.

Elvis had been going to see other entertainers in Vegas since 1956, starting with Billy Ward and the Dominoes I believe. He went to see Liberace in 1957 and countless acts for years to come. He loved entertainers per say.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Elvis was not into hard rock so i doubt he would have even considered going to see The Stones, The Who or the rest. None of us usually go to shows that feature music we don't like.

Elvis liked country, gospel and entertainers like Tom Jones, Glen Campbell, and so on.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Rolling Stones and The Who (in many of their early hits) were not hard rock bands. They played rock'n'roll so Elvis could liked them and see them in concert. Hard Rock bands were Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple in the early 70's.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:33 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Rolling Stones and The Who (in many of their early hits) were not hard rock bands.

It is doubtful Elvis was into Live at Leeds or Get Your Ya Yas Out.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Rolling Stones and The Who (in many of their early hits) were not hard rock bands.

Doc, sorry to go a bit off topic here, but its the only way i might be able to get an answer. Why is it when i click on, "DJC's Clinic 934 Washington Street" section, it always says, "you do not have permission to post on this forum"?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Doc, sorry to go a bit off topic here, but its the only way i might be able to get an answer. Why is it when i click on, "DJC's Clinic 934 Washington Street" section, it always says, "you do not have permission to post on this forum"?

It's not ready yet ... but it will be a cornucopia of delights when so!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks. "cornucopia" never heard that word before.............

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Doc, sorry to go a bit off topic here, but its the only way i might be able to get an answer. Why is it when i click on, "DJC's Clinic 934 Washington Street" section, it always says, "you do not have permission to post on this forum"?

Thanks. "cornucopia" never heard that word before.............

cornucopia
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cornucopia

3. a great abundance; overflowing supply

Re: Elvis Saw Tom at the Forum --> It's No Mystery Now!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:Here's a few more.

EP 1970.jpg

Rock Legend wrote:Here's a few more.

Do you have something a little bigger than 227 x 600 pixels for all three images? The background may be able to support whether we're seeing the lobby of the Forum or not. But it's hard to make out.

Here are my feeble blow-ups:

700725_a.jpg
700725_b.jpg
700725_c.jpg

Doc if it helps ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks -- that is Caesar's Palace.