Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ron Tutt's mistake

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:06 am

I think Elvis expecting little drum attack at 0:54 and warn tutt at 0:58 and Elvis gets what he want at 1:40 then look at him and smile so this is my latest upload with best sound I hope you like it...

phpBB [video]

Re: Ron Tutt's mistake

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:38 am

That's very observant of you, Erhan. :smt023

Thanks for sharing.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:10 am

haha nice interaction between the 2. brilliant, love it

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 am

Nice. That's really paying attention! (That's from the one they haven't put out on DVD, right?)

rjm

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:59 am

Speaking of mistakes by Tutt, I wonder if he still thinks that 'As Recorded at Madison Square Garden' was sped up when he listens to CD2 of the 'Prince From Another Planet' box set.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Think we all make mistakes but interesting.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Very cool ! I think Elvis was waiting for more beats !!! Good observation Erhan !

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Exogenesis wrote:Speaking of mistakes by Tutt, I wonder if he still thinks that 'As Recorded at Madison Square Garden' was sped up when he listens to CD2 of the 'Prince From Another Planet' box set.

What do YOU think "Exo"?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:49 am

Erhan wrote:I think Elvis expecting little drum attack at 0:54 and warn tutt at 0:58 and Elvis gets what he want at 1:40 then look at him and smile so this is my latest upload with best sound I hope you like it...

phpBB [video]

It's unfair to call this a "mistake" on Tutt's part. Despite the many rehearsals for the summer 1970 engagement, a lot of what went on during the show was "on the fly."

And Ronnie had not played regularly with Elvis -- August 28, 1969 was his last gig until the opening night of August 10, 1970, nearly a one year gap.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:53 am

Wow! I never realized the shape he was in back then. He really looks great here.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:28 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:Wow! I never realized the shape he was in back then. He really looks great here.

You're just now noticing?!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:54 am

Great observation Erhan, though it might be more of an oversight than a mistake. Interesting to see Elvis' `coaching' and then his smile when the drum roll happened.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Yeah, pretty cool. And like others have said, I think 'mistake' is a bit harsh. I'd say he just didn't realise Elvis wanted a fill in that spot to lead him in.. all it took is a bit of eye contact and a hand gesture, and Ronnie knew straight away.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Actually it is NOT a mistake.

Ronnie starts the song playing rim shots instead of the snare, like all drummers play a slow country ballad. Elvis always loved the hard drum sound live. So he points 'down' at Ronnie, that is play the snare. Ronnie obliges (you can actually start hearing the snare drum from the next beat), and Elvis looks back in appreciation, like saying "yes that's how I like it".

On stage, even the softest of ballads like Love me Tender, find Ronnie playing the snare drum. That's why such ballads sound like a little hard at times.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:03 pm

rjm wrote:Nice. That's really paying attention! (That's from the one they haven't put out on DVD, right?)

rjm

I think it's on the SE edition of TTWII...but I may be wrong....and it may be on the Complete Works box set, as well.....

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:12 pm

medleyofcostumes wrote:Actually it is NOT a mistake.

Ronnie starts the song playing rim shots instead of the snare, like all drummers play a slow country ballad.
Elvis always loved the hard drum sound live.
So he points 'down' at Ronnie, that is play the snare.
Ronnie obliges (you can actually start hearing the snare drum from the next beat), and Elvis looks back in appreciation,
like saying "yes that's how I like it"...

Wouldn't Ronnie have been fully aware of how his boss 'liked it' by then ?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:50 pm

And now we can only wait for the ETA's to signal this to the drummer too :roll:

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:10 pm

ColinB wrote:
medleyofcostumes wrote:Actually it is NOT a mistake.

Ronnie starts the song playing rim shots instead of the snare, like all drummers play a slow country ballad.
Elvis always loved the hard drum sound live.
So he points 'down' at Ronnie, that is play the snare.
Ronnie obliges (you can actually start hearing the snare drum from the next beat), and Elvis looks back in appreciation,
like saying "yes that's how I like it"...

Wouldn't Ronnie have been fully aware of how his boss 'liked it' by then ?

1. Ronnie didn't play on the studio recording of the song

2. Prior to August 1970, Ronnie only played in August 1969. Their rapport may not have been that close yet.

3. It was not uncommon for Elvis to change things 'on the spot'. Various bootlegs are evidence of this. He would have the band start again, to slow down, to rush, to repeat the last verse, etc He was the boss and he did what he felt at the time :)

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Nice Erhan!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:20 pm

medleyofcostumes wrote:1. Ronnie didn't play on the studio recording of the song

2. Prior to August 1970, Ronnie only played in August 1969. Their rapport may not have been that close yet.

3. It was not uncommon for Elvis to change things 'on the spot'. Various bootlegs are evidence of this. He would have the band start again, to slow down, to rush, to repeat the last verse, etc He was the boss and he did what he felt at the time :)

Really? ;-)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73351#p1100801

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Agreeing with you, that is :)