Elvis Penned '76 Vegas Set List For Auction (Full Article)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Elvis Penned '76 Vegas Set List For Auction (Full Article)

Post by TCB-FAN »

Above, the set list scribbled on a hotel envelope by Elvis Presley, and below, a reminder on the reverse side for him to introduce singers Roy Orbison and Engelbert Humperdinck

Associated Press, UK

Fuelled by adrenaline, Elvis Presley grabbed the first scrap of paper to hand to scribble down his set list before a show in Las Vegas.
Today that hastily-written scrap - actually an envelope - is tipped to sell for £4,000.
The King jotted down the running order of 15 of his hit songs ahead of the 1976 concert.
On the reverse he jotted down the words 'Introduce Engelbert (Humperdinck) and Roy Orbison’.

This was a reminder for him to give a shout out to the two famous singers who were in the audience at the gig at the Hilton Hotel in Vegas.
The songs Elvis performed during the show included his classics Jailhouse Rock, Blue Suede Shoes and Can’t Help Falling In Love, which was his finale.
Elvis’ stage director and musician Charlie Hodge afterwards found the envelope lying around backstage after the concert and kept hold of it.

The piece of paper is now to be sold at auction accompanied by a letter of provenance from Hodge, who died in 2006.
Hodge explained the set list was a way of keeping track of the time Elvis was on stage during the concert.
He wrote: 'I served as Elvis’ stage director and personal aide.....
& I would hand Elvis his scarves and water while on stage, help him with his set lists and also sang harmony on stage with Elvis."

This Las Vegas Hilton envelope was a list of songs that Elvis had written out in his own hand for one of the shows at the Hilton... for Elvis’ last engagement there ever in December 1976.
'It was my job to keep track of how much time we had been on stage and this list of songs was kind of a way to keep track.'

The white envelope, that measures 7.5ins by 3.7ins, is being sold by Julien’s Auctions in Los Angeles.
Auctioneer Darren Julien said: 'This item comes with very solid provenance. The handwriting is perfect and undoubtedly that of Elvis.
This simple document gives us a fascinating insight into how Elvis almost chose at the last moment which songs he was to sing and in what order almost hours before he went on stage.

'On the reverse Elvis wrote "Introduce Engelbert, Roy Orbison" who were evidently in the audience for his performance.'
Elvis’ last show in Vegas took place on December 12, 1976.

The item is to be sold at auction on December 1.
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Topic author
TCB-FAN

Re: Elvis Penned 1976 Vegas Set List Up For Auction

Post by TCB-FAN »

I'll let you know how it goes when I get this envelope laminated and permanently glued inside my shower door.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

SuspiciousMind
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by SuspiciousMind »

Topic author
TCB-FAN

Post by TCB-FAN »

Oh S***. Well, at least I posted the full article.After all, it is a '76 setlist. It is worth mentioning more than once.

Elvis A. Presley, 1970