Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

As Recorded At Madison Square Garden - New VINYL

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:20 pm

I am seeing that there is going to be two releases of this - one on Legacy and one on Music On Vinyl.

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/releases/Pr ... are_Garden

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/85543 ... nyl_Record

Does anyone know what is the difference between the two.

I have not like the quality of Legacy vinyl what so ever.... but love the Music on Vinyl quality. Are both using the new remixed versions?

thanks with any info
Mark

Re: As Recorded At Madison Square Garden - New VINYL

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:22 pm

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71968

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Probably not much difference at all, they just know there are some that will buy both even if it's just a slightly different design or whatever.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:27 am

Tony.. wrote:Probably not much difference at all, they just know there are some that will buy both even if it's just a slightly different design or whatever.

The key is if there are mastered by the same person and what plant presses them.

Anyone gotten them yet??

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:35 am

The Music On Vinyl one will probably sound better but I will give the Legacy one a chance first.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:49 am

Mike Eder wrote:The Music On Vinyl one will probably sound better but I will give the Legacy one a chance first.

I hear ya. the Music On Vinyl is more expensive - but I am sure it will be worth it.

My main question is this going to be the NEW remixed version Prince of Another Planet?? Anybody know the answer to that one :)

Let me know your thoughts please

thanks!
Mark

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 am

The picture shown above is just a mockup. Apparently "Prince ..." will not be released on Vinyl, only "As Recorded at Madison Square Garden" will. Therefore most likely the original mix of the evening show has been used.

I have learnt from a reliable source that the Sony Legacy release has been cut by Kevin Gray from 96/24 files. I don't know where it was pressed, though.

Music on Vinyl have not yet responded to my query regarding their source.

Since Kevin Gray has a great reputation I have ordered the Sony Legacy release and should receive it today or tomorrow.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Sebastian E wrote:
Since Kevin Gray has a great reputation I have ordered the Sony Legacy release and should receive it today or tomorrow.

Please write your impressions when you get it :)

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:44 pm

I went ahead ordered the music on vinyl one as well. I will give it a spin and compare when I get it.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:33 am

I have received the LP today. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm happy to report that, according to the sticker on the shrink wrap, the record was pressed at RTI. This should mean that the pressing quality should give no cause for complaint.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:55 am

Sebastian E wrote:I have received the LP today. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm happy to report that, according to the sticker on the shrink wrap, the record was pressed at RTI. This should mean that the pressing quality should give no cause for complaint.

Can you confirm that this was cut and mastered by Kevin Gray? I just recieved the Friday Music vinyl of "Elvis" (second album) by mail today. Also pressed at RTI and mastered by Kevin Gray and it sounds fantastic :)

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Because of heavy workload I still havent't had a chance to open this set. I will do so during the weekend.

There is no indication on the outer sleeve as to who cut and mastered this LP, only that it was pressed at RTI.

Prior to release I had contacted Michael Fremer in this regard, and his contact at Sony answered the following:

"For the Legacy Recordings release Kevin Gray cut from 24/96 files. Music On Vinyl will have to answer for their release."

I need to check out the Friday Music releases. As a start, I ordered Elvis' Christmas album today.

:-)

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Anyone compared Music on vinyl vs Legacy version of this release yet?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 am

Mike DK wrote:
Sebastian E wrote:I have received the LP today. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm happy to report that, according to the sticker on the shrink wrap, the record was pressed at RTI. This should mean that the pressing quality should give no cause for complaint.

Can you confirm that this was cut and mastered by Kevin Gray? I just recieved the Friday Music vinyl of "Elvis" (second album) by mail today. Also pressed at RTI and mastered by Kevin Gray and it sounds fantastic :)

Thanks for the reminder about "Elvis". I ordered myself a copy last night thanks to you. Everything I own including my turntable is in storage so it will take at least 5-6 weeks until I'll be able to play it, though. :smt013

Keith Richards, Jr.