Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:18 am

Yes, I finally got to listen the evening show properly tonight, and when compared with the previous mix it's quite clear that this is a huge improvement on the flat sound we are used to for this show. Finally it actually sounds live. I never had too many issues with the afternoon show in the first place, but again it sounds better here.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 am

tThis is what RCA Legacy should have done to avoid showing the viewer the black spots wehere there is no fooitage to show. Consider how easy it would have been for Lisa marie Presley to ask someone at EPE to come up with the phone numbers of the following people. Alvin Lee, Paul Stanley, Robert Plant, Paul Simon, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Jerry Weintraub and Art Garfunkel. And that's only for starters, since the other members of Ten years After and Led Zeppelin, may be also brought in, as a result.

Ok that may have taken 2 days. Once the phone numbers were all written, all Lisa would have to have done, after introducing herself, is to ask each and everyone on that list the following question. "We are going to produce, with RCA Legacy, a video of Elvis' June 10, 1972 performance, which either you attended, produced (Weintraub) or took customers, by the hundreds, during your time as a cab driver (Stanley, of KISS), so mwould you be agreable for us to film you for three minutes, seating down at whereever you wish for the filming to take place, so you can briefly tell us about your experioence that day, thus allowing us to then dovetail theses interviews with the rest of of footage. So that's 9 calls, 45 minutes of footage and no black spaces...While these interviews were being seen, one could still hear the audio which, for all practical purposes, would go up to the normal level, autimatically, each time the person being interviewed is done saying what he is saying.
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:01 am

Jaime1234 wrote:tThis is what RCA Legacy should have done to avoid showing the viewer the black spots wehere there is no fooitage to show. Consider how easy it would have been for Lisa marie Presley to ask someone at EPE to come up with the phone numbers of the following people. Alvin Lee, Paul Stanley, Robert Plant, Paul Simon, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Jerry Weintraub and Art Garfunkel. And that's only for starters, since the other members of Ten years After and Led Zeppelin, may be also brought in, as a result.

Ok that may have taken 2 days. Once the phone numbers were all written, all Lisa would have to have done, after introducing herself, is to ask each and everyone on that list the following question. "We are going to produce, with RCA Legacy, a video of Elvis' June 10, 1972 performance, which either you attended, produced (Weintraub) or took customers, by the hundreds, during your time as a cab driver (Stanley, of KISS), so mwould you be agreable for us to film you for three minutes, seating down at whereever you wish for the filming to take place, so you can briefly tell us about your experioence that day, thus allowing us to then dovetail theses interviews with the rest of of footage. So that's 11 calls, 33 minutes of footage and no black spaces...

Or, we can have Jerry Schilling do it, as usual.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:08 am

elvisjock wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:tThis is what RCA Legacy should have done to avoid showing the viewer the black spots wehere there is no fooitage to show. Consider how easy it would have been for Lisa marie Presley to ask someone at EPE to come up with the phone numbers of the following people. Alvin Lee, Paul Stanley, Robert Plant, Paul Simon, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Jerry Weintraub and Art Garfunkel. And that's only for starters, since the other members of Ten years After and Led Zeppelin, may be also brought in, as a result.

Ok that may have taken 2 days. Once the phone numbers were all written, all Lisa would have to have done, after introducing herself, is to ask each and everyone on that list the following question. "We are going to produce, with RCA Legacy, a video of Elvis' June 10, 1972 performance, which either you attended, produced (Weintraub) or took customers, by the hundreds, during your time as a cab driver (Stanley, of KISS), so mwould you be agreable for us to film you for three minutes, seating down at whereever you wish for the filming to take place, so you can briefly tell us about your experioence that day, thus allowing us to then dovetail theses interviews with the rest of of footage. So that's 11 calls, 33 minutes of footage and no black spaces...

Or, we can have Jerry Schilling do it, as usual.[/quote

I love jerry Schilling and he should be one of the people who could add his thoughts, but as a personal friend of Elvis, his take on that engagement could be interpreted as having a favourable slant, which would not be the case if someone like Bruce, or Bowie, or Weintraub says it. For me, it is Paul Stanley's story which would be even more interesting as, according to him, he got so much inspiration from hearing, inside his cab, what customers going to and coming out of those 4 concerts were saying, that he swore, right there and then, that he will one day help KISS to sell the Garden as well. And they did that, three years later.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:47 am

Top 40 in the US......ummm don't think that will happen. (would be nice if it did though)

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 am

This set was fantastic loved it.

It was like being at the Garden in 1972.

My hat goes off to the people who worked on this great set.

The front cover has so much balls to see this in the shops it makes people look twice who is that man with the cape lol

Quick question didn't MGM film the complete press conference ?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:02 pm

good point about the On Tour footage in the documentary. There has obviously been some collaboration here albeit minimal but lets hope it sets the basis for future releases e.g. EOT

cheers Jamie

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:45 pm

[
Quick question didn't MGM film the complete press conference ?[/quote]

Pretty sure they would have

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Another thing i would like to know is why Charlie Hodge was wearing Head Phones during the gig or part of it ?

Was this for security reason or maybe a talk back system do the recording in the truck ?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Maybe he just didn't want to hear his singing...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Is this box set considered a double cd under the RIAA rules?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm

garyt wrote:Is this box set considered a double cd under the RIAA rules?

Yes, provided both discs are over 100 minutes playing time.

Brian

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:

Brian

CD1 AS: 60:42

CD2 ES: 54:02

so it's not counted as a double cd, what a shame...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:29 pm

garyt wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:

Brian

I think the set has to be over 100 minutes playing time, combined.

If it wasn't, that would be just plain ignorant, but how this thread has turned into completely something else is amusing.

If it did generate enough sales for a Top 40 here in the States, that would be awesome, but like the originator of this thread claimed, (it would), then said, ("let's wait and see"), that's exactly what we'll have to do.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:37 pm

RIAA Criteria is as follows:

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum.php ... r=criteria

It will be interesting to see how the RIAA treat the PFAP DVD. This needs 50,000 sales to achieve a GOLD Award under normal circumstances.

Brian

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:17 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I have always been critical of the MSG shows. To me they have always seemed rushed and, to some degree, half-hearted. Seeing (part of) them is therefore something of a revelation. In a recent thread on Elvis's on-stage jokes, the Doc referred to Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show when he joked with Sullivan about coming back later in the show. The video of the MSG show on this set shows a similar snese of Elvis having fun. The performance is somewhat laid back - considerably more than you would assume by just listening to the concerts on CD. Presley is laughing and joking, and his sense of self-deprecating humour is very much present - but instead of this coming out in dialogue, it is coming out through stage moves, interaction with the band and so on. I thought the mini-documentary was also rather well done, considering the obvious budgetry limitations - and considerably better than the one that accompanies the Legacy edition of the Cash Folsom Prison concert.

The set is also beautifully laid out, with the booklet surprisingly lavish. I'm not sure about the overall size of the box - I think I would have preferred a normal digi-pak size so that the set has a place on shelves etc, but it certainly looked very handsome on the shelf of HMV today (although good luck getting the discs in and out without damaging them).

Finally, it appears, Sony have got it right when it comes down to the Legacy edition of an Elvis album. No, there is no unreleased audio to speak of (a few bits of dialogue so I understand, but I haven't done a comparison), but the DVD is a nice touch and a much-needed remix of the original shows is most welcome.

Let's hope that this is the turning point for Elvis legacy editions, and that more creative decisions are made with regards to those that will follow.

Agreed. Everything about this release is just perfect, spot-on.

This is a real dream release that I don't think many of us would have expected. The footage of the karate ending of Suspicious Minds is one of the coolest pieces of on stage footage I've ever seen.

You are spot on about the comments of Elvis physical performance in the show. I agree that Elvis is a lot more laidback in the footage than the impression you get just from the audio. Also compared even to the April tour shows filmed for Elvis On Tour. There is still an infectious feeling of fun though in the footage and you are right - his self-deprecating humour does shine through in this.

The audio mix is really well done, it's really done to try and emphasize what it would have sounded like from the audience. Coupled with footage that actually gives you the view of what the fans would have seen - this is a better experience than watching the Aloha From Hawaii DVD in my opinion, despite it only being 1/3 complete and in 8mm quality. I've said it time and time again - Elvis was in better vocal form and much better spirits in June 1972 than January 1973. Of course there are issues with some performances, it's not perfect, but it works as a show. There's a real excitement and enjoyment in the music from both the singer and the fans. In Aloha, it's hardly like a real concert. The atmosphere is dead, the lights are up for most of the time and Elvis kind of sleep-walks his way through the concert. There are only moments in Aloha when Elvis seems like he's having fun on stage - in MSG he's feeding of the buzz of the crowd, there's an interplay with the audience and everybody is having a ball. Aloha might as well have been recorded in an empty concert hall.

Well done to everybody involved in the project - a real wonderful treat for us fans.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 pm

OnTourCam wrote:This set was fantastic loved it.

It was like being at the Garden in 1972.

My hat goes off to the people who worked on this great set.

The front cover has so much balls to see this in the shops it makes people look twice who is that man with the cape lol

Quick question didn't MGM film the complete press conference ?

Probably about 20 TV stations filmed it, but still we don't have the complete thing anywhere.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Tony.. wrote:Ty, Ty.!! Do you have it then 'Karlos'?

Yes Tony I do - Recvd it yestrday - soon ill listen n watch it -enjoy ya one too Tony - hav a great week -Enjoy -

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:13 pm

There's no such thing as a 100-minute commercial audio CD, it isn't possible. Do you mean the total for 2 discs? In which case PFAP's CDs are well over 100 minutes total.

minkahed wrote:
garyt wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:

Brian

I think the set has to be over 100 minutes playing time, combined.

If it wasn't, that would be just plain ignorant, but how this thread has turned into completely something else is amusing.

If it did generate enough sales for a Top 40 here in the States, that would be awesome, but like the originator of this thread claimed, (it would), then said, ("let's wait and see"), that's exactly what we'll have to do.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Ok that may have taken 2 days. Once the phone numbers were all written, all Lisa would have to have done, after introducing herself, is to ask each and everyone on that list the following question. "We are going to produce, with RCA Legacy, a video of Elvis' June 10, 1972 performance, which either you attended, produced (Weintraub) or took customers, by the hundreds, during your time as a cab driver (Stanley, of KISS), so mwould you be agreable for us to film you for three minutes, seating down at whereever you wish for the filming to take place, so you can briefly tell us about your experioence that day, thus allowing us to then dovetail theses interviews with the rest of of footage. So that's 9 calls, 45 minutes of footage and no black spaces...While these interviews were being seen, one could still hear the audio which, for all practical purposes, would go up to the normal level, autimatically, each time the person being interviewed is done saying what he is saying.

How much u think it would cost to get all of them to appear on the dvd?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 pm

I can tell you, right off the bat, that Robert Plant, Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen would do it for free, as would Alvin Lee, super fans of Elvis to this day. Jimmy Page, Paul Simon, David Bowie I don't know, even less Garfunkel, who charges a great deal of money, even for birthday-related one night presentations, mostly of the truly rich and not so famous (LOL).

As to Weintraub, who knows, his ego is so large that perhaps he would also do it for free, as his account of how he got Parker to agree for Elvis to play New York has been told in his autobiography, and retold by the press countless times. And he was there, even photographed as he helped others fix the stage!! That leaves Paul Stanley of KISS, the then cab driver. I bet he would do it for free as well, but for obvious reasons having to do with his current status, not unless he knew in advance all the others would be in for the ride (LOL).

Come to think of it, Eric Maskin, the then Harvard graduate student who attended one of those concerts (and who 35 years later , in 2007, mentioned Elvis in his written speech at the Royal Academy in Stockholm, as he accepted the Nobel Price for Economics, and to top it all, in front of the King of Sweden, whose sister, who was there that night also, had met Elvis, as a then Princess, in 1960, ), would also do it for free. You can see how she smiles, when Elvis is mentioned. Priceless.
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Mine shipped out yesterday from amazon.ca... hope to have it in my hands by tomorrow... can't freakin' wait!!!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I have always been critical of the MSG shows. To me they have always seemed rushed and, to some degree, half-hearted. Seeing (part of) them is therefore something of a revelation. In a recent thread on Elvis's on-stage jokes, the Doc referred to Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show when he joked with Sullivan about coming back later in the show. The video of the MSG show on this set shows a similar snese of Elvis having fun. The performance is somewhat laid back - considerably more than you would assume by just listening to the concerts on CD. Presley is laughing and joking, and his sense of self-deprecating humour is very much present - but instead of this coming out in dialogue, it is coming out through stage moves, interaction with the band and so on. I thought the mini-documentary was also rather well done, considering the obvious budgetry limitations - and considerably better than the one that accompanies the Legacy edition of the Cash Folsom Prison concert.

The set is also beautifully laid out, with the booklet surprisingly lavish. I'm not sure about the overall size of the box - I think I would have preferred a normal digi-pak size so that the set has a place on shelves etc, but it certainly looked very handsome on the shelf of HMV today (although good luck getting the discs in and out without damaging them).

Finally, it appears, Sony have got it right when it comes down to the Legacy edition of an Elvis album. No, there is no unreleased audio to speak of (a few bits of dialogue so I understand, but I haven't done a comparison), but the DVD is a nice touch and a much-needed remix of the original shows is most welcome.

Let's hope that this is the turning point for Elvis legacy editions, and that more creative decisions are made with regards to those that will follow.

Agreed. Everything about this release is just perfect, spot-on.

This is a real dream release that I don't think many of us would have expected. The footage of the karate ending of Suspicious Minds is one of the coolest pieces of on stage footage I've ever seen.

You are spot on about the comments of Elvis physical performance in the show. I agree that Elvis is a lot more laidback in the footage than the impression you get just from the audio. Also compared even to the April tour shows filmed for Elvis On Tour. There is still an infectious feeling of fun though in the footage and you are right - his self-deprecating humour does shine through in this.

The audio mix is really well done, it's really done to try and emphasize what it would have sounded like from the audience. Coupled with footage that actually gives you the view of what the fans would have seen - this is a better experience than watching the Aloha From Hawaii DVD in my opinion, despite it only being 1/3 complete and in 8mm quality. I've said it time and time again - Elvis was in better vocal form and much better spirits in June 1972 than January 1973. Of course there are issues with some performances, it's not perfect, but it works as a show. There's a real excitement and enjoyment in the music from both the singer and the fans. In Aloha, it's hardly like a real concert. The atmosphere is dead, the lights are up for most of the time and Elvis kind of sleep-walks his way through the concert. There are only moments in Aloha when Elvis seems like he's having fun on stage - in MSG he's feeding of the buzz of the crowd, there's an interplay with the audience and everybody is having a ball. Aloha might as well have been recorded in an empty concert hall.

Well done to everybody involved in the project - a real wonderful treat for us fans.

I agree. Aloha is a very subdued affair, whereas the latest mix of MSG find it in a middle ground between those live shows where we barely here the audience and the excitement of the arena-feel of the Memphis show. It finally does sound like a live show, whereas as you say Aloha never does.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:RIAA Criteria is as follows:

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum.php ... r=criteria

It will be interesting to see how the RIAA treat the PFAP DVD. This needs 50,000 sales to achieve a GOLD Award under normal circumstances.

Brian

Well, in this jerkwater town I live in, there wasn't 1 copy of this set anywhere to be found !!!

I just had to order it online. Unreal.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:I can tell you, right off the bat, that Robert Plant, Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen would do it for free, as would Alvin Lee, super fans of Elvis to this day. Jimmy Page, Paul Simon, David Bowie I don't know, even less Garfunkel, who charges a great deal of money, even for birthday-related one night presentations, mostly of the truly rich and not so famous (LOL).

As to Weintraub, who knows, his ego is so large that perhaps he would also do it for free, as his account of how he got Parker to agree for Elvis to play New York has been told in his autobiography, and retold by the press countless times. And he was there, even photographed as he helped others fix the stage!! That leaves Paul Stanley of KISS, the then cab driver. I bet he would do it for free as well, but for obvious reasons having to do with his current status, not unless he knew in advance all the others would be in for the ride (LOL).

Come to think of it, Eric Maskin, the then Harvard graduate student who attended one of those concerts (and who 35 years later , in 2007, mentioned Elvis in his written speech at the Royal Academy in Stockholm, as he accepted the Nobel Price for Economics, and to top it all, in front of the King of Sweden, whose sister, who was there that night also, had met Elvis, as a then Princess, in 1960, ), would also do it for free. You can see how she smiles, when Elvis is mentioned. Priceless.

Has it been confirmed that Bruce was at one of the shows? we might have to do some research like when finally confirmed that Zeppelin were there.:)