Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Can someone finally and at last tell us what the playing time is for the evening show when you put it in a cd player??? The original, with edits, clocked in at 52 and a half minutes give or take the odd second. What is the running / playing time of this new, remastered, and remixed version from the original master tapes, anyone?

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Tony.. wrote:Can someone finally and at last tell us what the playing time is for the evening show when you put it in a cd player??? The original, with edits, clocked in at 52 and a half minutes give or take the odd second. What is the running / playing time of this new, remastered, and remixed version from the original master tapes, anyone?

this is easily done whn u start playing the cd Tony - Just enjoy the new product -
I bet it will be a while until we see more of this concert or any - Enjoy it - Y'all -
..........................................................................................
''Its Been A Long Time Comn ''
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:15 pm

karlos wrote:
Tony.. wrote:Can someone finally and at last tell us what the playing time is for the evening show when you put it in a cd player??? The original, with edits, clocked in at 52 and a half minutes give or take the odd second. What is the running / playing time of this new, remastered, and remixed version from the original master tapes, anyone?

this is easily done whn u start playing the cd Tony - Just enjoy the new product -
I bet it will be a while until we see more of this concert or any - Enjoy it - Y'all -
..........................................................................................

Oh yeah, that's exactly the reply that Tony.. was looking for! :roll:

karlos wrote:... we must be thank ful for what we are gettn -
- Lets all be thank foul for this release...

karlos, please make up your mind.
Should we be "thank ful" or "thank foul"?

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 pm

karlos wrote:

Yes, I'm just curious about the new running time and it seems many of you here have it and, I'm guessing must be playing it. Can someone just put the CD in their player and tell us what the timing reads??? :twisted:

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Tony.. wrote:Yes, I'm just curious about the new running time and it seems many of you here have it and, I'm guessing must be playing it. Can someone just put the CD in their player and tell us what the timing reads??? :twisted:

karlos wrote:this is easily done whn u start playing the cd Tony - Just enjoy the new product -

:lol:

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Ty, Ty.!! Do you have it then 'Karlos'?

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Tony.. wrote:
karlos wrote:

Yes, I'm just curious about the new running time and it seems many of you here have it and, I'm guessing must be playing it. Can someone just put the CD in their player and tell us what the timing reads??? :twisted:

CD1 AS: 60:42

CD2 ES: 54:02

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Roger Semon art-directed this package and what a beautiful job he did. If anyone knows him please tell him thankyou for all his terrific work. Love on ya man!

Now to listen to the mutha.... play it loud baby.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:02 pm

King Volcano wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
karlos wrote:

Thank you for a sensible and straghtforward answer "King". I'm guessing then that the extra minute and a half of the well known evening show is now sans edits and / or possibly just runs a tad slower? Hoping to get mine tomorrow.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:18 pm

I don't understand why the release in North America is a week behind Europe for Sony's main label but anyway, I'm looking forward to receiving my copies later this week.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:24 pm

£14 in store at HMV.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Tony.. wrote:
King Volcano wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
karlos wrote:

Thank you for a sensible and straghtforward answer "King". I'm guessing then that the extra minute and a half of the well known evening show is now sans edits and / or possibly just runs a tad slower? Hoping to get mine tomorrow.

:) That's all right Tony. I'm going to listen to the AS first so you'll probably hear the ES before me! I'm going to save it for tomorrow, just AS & DVD today.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 pm

like it says in the booklet play it loud! :P

It's a stunning package and great value for money

Jamie

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:21 pm

I have always been critical of the MSG shows. To me they have always seemed rushed and, to some degree, half-hearted. Seeing (part of) them is therefore something of a revelation. In a recent thread on Elvis's on-stage jokes, the Doc referred to Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show when he joked with Sullivan about coming back later in the show. The video of the MSG show on this set shows a similar snese of Elvis having fun. The performance is somewhat laid back - considerably more than you would assume by just listening to the concerts on CD. Presley is laughing and joking, and his sense of self-deprecating humour is very much present - but instead of this coming out in dialogue, it is coming out through stage moves, interaction with the band and so on. I thought the mini-documentary was also rather well done, considering the obvious budgetry limitations - and considerably better than the one that accompanies the Legacy edition of the Cash Folsom Prison concert.

The set is also beautifully laid out, with the booklet surprisingly lavish. I'm not sure about the overall size of the box - I think I would have preferred a normal digi-pak size so that the set has a place on shelves etc, but it certainly looked very handsome on the shelf of HMV today (although good luck getting the discs in and out without damaging them).

Finally, it appears, Sony have got it right when it comes down to the Legacy edition of an Elvis album. No, there is no unreleased audio to speak of (a few bits of dialogue so I understand, but I haven't done a comparison), but the DVD is a nice touch and a much-needed remix of the original shows is most welcome.

Let's hope that this is the turning point for Elvis legacy editions, and that more creative decisions are made with regards to those that will follow.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Got my set today :)

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Peter is right, careful with the discs, tight as hell & very difficult to extract without scratching. I'll be keeping my discs in my MSG & Afternoon jewel cases.

The mix is hard & pretty wild, reminds me of Elvis At The International but not quite as loud. Totally different to say, the On Stage disc 2 FTD mix. Just had a ball blasting the AS away. I had to stop after trilogy & have a cigarette to calm myself :oops:

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 pm

King Volcano wrote:Just had a ball blasting the AS away. I had to stop after trilogy & have a cigarette to calm myself :oops:

:lol:

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:14 pm

I don't know if anyone recalls, but there is a great article in this magazine from 1977 about the MSG evening show (re. someone experiencing listening to the LP for the first time). I still have that magazine... I'll have to scan the article and post it when I find it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:26 pm

:wink:

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Interview with Jerry Schilling re. PFAP on the CBS Morning Show

http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=6744

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 pm

King Volcano wrote:Peter is right, careful with the discs, tight as hell & very difficult to extract without scratching. I'll be keeping my discs in my MSG & Afternoon jewel cases.

The mix is hard & pretty wild, reminds me of Elvis At The International but not quite as loud. Totally different to say, the On Stage disc 2 FTD mix. Just had a ball blasting the AS away. I had to stop after trilogy & have a cigarette to calm myself :oops:

I know what you mean - its just full on excitment from start to finish - I needed to lie down and calm down!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:34 am

My copy arrived today, absolutely fantastic release, love it !!!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:13 am

elvis-fan wrote:Interview with Jerry Schilling re. PFAP on the CBS Morning Show

http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=6744

good interview thanks!~ :D

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 am

I had to pause after Trilogy on the Planet DVD too. The picture comes & goes, but like the first time I saw the Hampton Roads footage, after the end, well, wow, I had to pause in honor of the genius & power of Elvis.

Ronnie Tutt is thrilling in the footage, in the shadows but man, I loved watching him smashing it up in the darkness behind his boss. The ending of Hound Dog is priceless to watch, HUP TWO THREE FOUR! Whack!

And the little thump as we watch The King deliberately & nonchalantly let the mike fall to the floor at the Suspicious Minds climax, fantastic...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:41 am

The local Barnes & Noble has one (1) copy, and it's mine. Or, it will be. I reserved it, as the store rep would not let it leave the building before tomorrow's street date. I saw it, though!