Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm

minkahed wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:minkahed wrote:
Well, in this jerkwater town I live in, there wasn't 1 copy of this set anywhere to be found !!!

Today I went to 3 Walmart stores, a Best Buy, and a Target - I found 1 copy of the Legacy Edition of As Recorded At Madison Square Garden at the 1st store I went to (at 4:30 am) and no other store had the Legacy OR the Prince From Another Planet set. Disappointed!! This is not good! An opportunity for Elvis to be front and center and NOTHING!

I'll try again tomorrow.

Noone around these parts even had any idea what I was talking about when I was inquiring about this Elvis Presley release ?

All I got were weird looks, like, "Ailvis" ? ugh ...

All Wal Mart had were huge displays for One Direction and Toby Keith cd's.

Taylor Swift had one section all to herself !!!

According to sweetangeline, Elvis is alive and well at retail though ... "Extinct" is more like it.

midnightx, you want to chime in on this one ?

RKS
[/quote]

I suppose they've got to try and make as much money out of "One Erection" as they can before all the little 10 year old that like these great musicians move onto someone else. And besides, don't all these kiddies download all of that sort of garbage?

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:10 pm

minkahed wrote:Noone around these parts even had any idea what I was talking about when I was inquiring about this Elvis Presley release ?

According to sweetangeline, Elvis is alive and well at retail though ... "Extinct" is more like it.

I heard he's been dead for something like 35 years???

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
minkahed wrote:Noone around these parts even had any idea what I was talking about when I was inquiring about this Elvis Presley release ?

I heard he's been dead for something like 35 years???

Really ?

I heard he was in Osh Kosh last week ...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Tony.. wrote:
minkahed wrote:
Well, in this jerkwater town I live in, there wasn't 1 copy of this set anywhere to be found !!!

Today I went to 3 Walmart stores, a Best Buy, and a Target - I found 1 copy of the Legacy Edition of As Recorded At Madison Square Garden at the 1st store I went to (at 4:30 am) and no other store had the Legacy OR the Prince From Another Planet set. Disappointed!! This is not good! An opportunity for Elvis to be front and center and NOTHING!

I'll try again tomorrow.

Noone around these parts even had any idea what I was talking about when I was inquiring about this Elvis Presley release ?

RKS

I suppose they've got to try and make as much money out of "One Erection" as they can before all the little 10 year old that like these great musicians move onto someone else. And besides, don't all these kiddies download all of that sort of garbage?
[/quote]

The trend to rubbish anything and everything that is currently in the charts with such venom is really both in bad taste and ridiculous. The types of bands and singers such as One Direction and Bieber have been around for decades in one form or another. They fill a gap in the market, are totally harmless and, from what I can gather, act as considerably better role models to teenagers than many of their predecessors - and, in time, that includes Presley. Look what a great role model he turned out to be: having an affair with a 14 year old and then meeting his sad demise mainly through addictions at the age of 42.

Would I buy their music? No, but it's not aimed at people like me. Do I find them or their music loathesome? No, in fact I would go as far as to say that I thought the performance on One Direction's new single on X factor on Saturday (albeit recorded in October!) was actually rather pleasant on the ear.

And while it is fashionable (always has been, always will be) to trash such bands as "unmusical" or not "great musicians", I would personally like to see those that trash them get together and attempt to do what they do, complete with vocal harmonies etc. The fact of the matter is that, whether us old fogies like them or not, they fill a gap in the market and, most importantly of all, are extremely good at what they do. And those that are good at what they do generally stick around - Take That was trashed in the early 1990s in exactly the same way you are trashing One Direction now, but who is having the last laugh 20 years later?

Behind all of this (on these boards at least, and certainly in Tony's post), is that artists such as One Direction and Bieber are getting shelf-space in stores and Elvis is not. Well, considering they sell millions more units per year than Elvis does, this is hardly surprising. I'm not sure why we should grudge the current generation their music idols just because they get in the way of an idol that has been dead 35 years. No doubt people thought the same in 1956 when Elvis and his music got in the way of the then old-timers. Times change, tastes change, people move on. Get over it.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:58 pm

As of today (14th November) PFAP is No.55 in the UK Midweek Album Charts. Earlier on it was 41. It has a total print run of 5,000. So far there have been 15 Press Reviews with more to come including one in the Daily Mirror which rated it 5 out of 5. Other reviews have been in the following Magazines (December Issues): Mojo, Uncut and Record Collector. It was also heavily featured in the Daily Mail Online whose demographic is the most suitable for Presley fans.

This morning (14th) a one minute video excerpt of the Press Conference + concert footage were shown on ITV Daybreak.

There will also be radio plugs for the set as follows:

BBC6 Music

BBC2 Johnnie Walker - Inclusion in Sounds Of The Seventies on Saturday, 17th November.

Brian

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Thank you Brian. Hopefully this release will sell well.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:As of today (14th November) PFAP is No.55 in the UK Midweek Album Charts. Earlier on it was 41. It has a total print run of 5,000. So far there have been 15 Press Reviews with more to come including one in the Daily Mirror which rated it 5 out of 5. Other reviews have been in the following Magazines (December Issues): Mojo, Uncut and Record Collector. It was also heavily featured in the Daily Mail Online whose demographic is the most suitable for Presley fans.

This morning (14th) a one minute video excerpt of the Press Conference + concert footage were shown on ITV Daybreak.

BBC6 Music

BBC2 Johnnie Walker - Inclusion in Sounds Of The Seventies on Saturday, 17th November.

Brian

thanks Brian thats some good coverage. Do you know what the review were like in Uncut, Mojo and ecord Collector? Sorry to ask :)

cheers Jamie

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Jamie wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:As of today (14th November) PFAP is No.55 in the UK Midweek Album Charts. Earlier on it was 41. It has a total print run of 5,000. So far there have been 15 Press Reviews with more to come including one in the Daily Mirror which rated it 5 out of 5. Other reviews have been in the following Magazines (December Issues): Mojo, Uncut and Record Collector. It was also heavily featured in the Daily Mail Online whose demographic is the most suitable for Presley fans.

BBC6 Music

Brian

thanks Brian thats some good coverage. Do you know what the review were like in Uncut, Mojo and ecord Collector? Sorry to ask :)

cheers Jamie

Sorry Jamie,

Can't help you there. Perhaps some other UK fan could though.

Brian

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
Jamie wrote:

BBC6 Music

Brian

cheers Jamie

Sorry Jamie,

Can't help you there. Perhaps some other UK fan could though.

Brian

no worries, just googled all of those mags but nothing on line yet understandably as the mags are still current. I'll probably pick up Record Collector at the weekend.

cheers

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:43 pm

then move :D

minkahed wrote:According to sweetangeline, Elvis is alive and well at retail though ... "Extinct" is more like it.

plenty of copies where I am and leave midnightx alone he`s listening to the sounds of Zarathustra as we speak :lol:

thought I read in some other thread of yours that you can`t afford all these releases right now anyway, going to be a lonely Christmas for you my friend, would you like to spend the holidays here and we will listen to MSG with a cup of cheer :lol: :lol:

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Elfan wrote:
Hopefully this release will sell well.

Not if it's not in stores.

RKS

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
minkahed wrote:

I'll try again tomorrow.

RKS

The trend to rubbish anything and everything that is currently in the charts with such venom is really both in bad taste and ridiculous. The types of bands and singers such as One Direction and Bieber have been around for decades in one form or another. They fill a gap in the market, are totally harmless and, from what I can gather, act as considerably better role models to teenagers than many of their predecessors - and, in time, that includes Presley. Look what a great role model he turned out to be: having an affair with a 14 year old and then meeting his sad demise mainly through addictions at the age of 42.

Would I buy their music? No, but it's not aimed at people like me. Do I find them or their music loathesome? No, in fact I would go as far as to say that I thought the performance on One Direction's new single on X factor on Saturday (albeit recorded in October!) was actually rather pleasant on the ear.

And while it is fashionable (always has been, always will be) to trash such bands as "unmusical" or not "great musicians", I would personally like to see those that trash them get together and attempt to do what they do, complete with vocal harmonies etc. The fact of the matter is that, whether us old fogies like them or not, they fill a gap in the market and, most importantly of all, are extremely good at what they do. And those that are good at what they do generally stick around - Take That was trashed in the early 1990s in exactly the same way you are trashing One Direction now, but who is having the last laugh 20 years later?

Behind all of this (on these boards at least, and certainly in Tony's post), is that artists such as One Direction and Bieber are getting shelf-space in stores and Elvis is not. Well, considering they sell millions more units per year than Elvis does, this is hardly surprising. I'm not sure why we should grudge the current generation their music idols just because they get in the way of an idol that has been dead 35 years. No doubt people thought the same in 1956 when Elvis and his music got in the way of the then old-timers. Times change, tastes change, people move on. Get over it.[/quote

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:04 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
minkahed wrote:

I'll try again tomorrow.

RKS

Behind all of this (on these boards at least, and certainly in Tony's post), is that artists such as One Direction and Bieber are getting shelf-space in stores and Elvis is not. Well, considering they sell millions more units per year than Elvis does, this is hardly surprising. I'm not sure why we should grudge the current generation their music idols just because they get in the way of an idol that has been dead 35 years. No doubt people thought the same in 1956 when Elvis and his music got in the way of the then old-timers. Times change, tastes change, people move on. Get over it.[/quote]

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:07 pm

The Likes of Bieber and One Direction are pure garbage. Down to the Bone. They can't sing and don't sing live 95% of the time. They will be gone within a couple years. Unlike Elvis.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Just bought my copy of the deluxe set at my local HMV here in Toronto today. At first I couldn't find so I decided to ask a salesperson who also couldn't locate although it was in their inventory. She finally found it on the floor under the cd shelves where no one could see it (!). Quite unfortunate for a new release but hopefully my search will get the situation rectified.
Really enjoying the fantastic dvd right now. It's just wonderful to see this first generation film footage properly synched up to the new audio. I really hope there is more video like this to come in the future.
Oh yes, it cost me $34 with tax, a couple of dollars more than amazon for the privilege of buying the package retail. It brought back some nice memories getting something from a non-internet, non-mail order spot on Elvis for the first time in many years. It will sit nicely on my shelf with the FTD Classics.
Time to do some video editing and fill in the blank spaces with alternate footage we have in our collections.
Lucio

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:13 pm

DEH wrote:The Likes of Bieber and One Direction are pure garbage. Down to the Bone. They can't sing and don't sing live 95% of the time. They will be gone within a couple years. Unlike Elvis.

and you get that information from where? As far as I'm aware both are well known to sing live at their concerts, and not mime (except for example the closing ceremony of the olympics when, presumably, logistics caused that to happen).

They certainly sing live better than you can quote posts :D You might want to delete the posts you made that make it look like you actually wrote my earlier post to which you were responding!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 pm

DEH wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
minkahed wrote:

I'll try again tomorrow.

RKS

Behind all of this (on these boards at least, and certainly in Tony's post), is that artists such as One Direction and Bieber are getting shelf-space in stores and Elvis is not. Well, considering they sell millions more units per year than Elvis does, this is hardly surprising. I'm not sure why we should grudge the current generation their music idols just because they get in the way of an idol that has been dead 35 years. No doubt people thought the same in 1956 when Elvis and his music got in the way of the then old-timers. Times change, tastes change, people move on. Get over it.
[/quote]

Bieber is no saint or role model. He's not even all that talented. He's just popular because girls think he's cute. Oh btw, notice how the kid wears his hair now? He's an Elvis wannabe who will be soon a past just like Timberlake, just like Spears.

FYI, Elvis didn't have an affair with a 14 year old. Priscilla has said herself that he wouldn't touch her because she was under age. Notice how he waited until she was 17, which was the legal age in 1962, before he sent for her to come to the states.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
DEH wrote:The Likes of Bieber and One Direction are pure garbage. Down to the Bone. They can't sing and don't sing live 95% of the time. They will be gone within a couple years. Unlike Elvis.

and you get that information from where? As far as I'm aware both are well known to sing live at their concerts, and not mime (except for example the closing ceremony of the olympics when, presumably, logistics caused that to happen).

They certainly sing live better than you can quote posts :D You might want to delete the posts you made that make it look like you actually wrote my earlier post to which you were responding!

No they don't. And they both lip sync too.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

And your proof of this is where? A short trawl of the internet found Bieber miming on a X factor performance, and during a concert due to a technical fault. So, your evidence would welcome.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:43 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

And your proof of this is where? A short trawl of the internet found Bieber miming on a X factor performance, and during a concert due to a technical fault. So, your evidence would welcome.

Someone I know saw him in person, let's just say that Sony did a much better job syncing Elvis' vocals to the bootleg footage for PFAP.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Someone I know saw him in person, let's just say that Sony did a much better job syncing Elvis' vocals to the bootleg footage for PFAP.

So other than hearsay from one person you have no evidence. Nice.

As for Timberlake, considering he has been in showbusiness since the age of 12, spent seven years in a chart-topping band and then followed that with a five year solo career, and is now earning respect as an actor, not least through his performance in the Oscar-winning film The Social Network, he is doing quite well. He has won half a dozen grammys and a handful of Emmys for film and tv work, and has had a career lasting just four years less (so far) than Elvis's own, and also has his hands in a number of business ventures, I would suggest that Timberlake has proven his longevity.

Likewise, Spears began her music career in 1997, and has had top ten hits in either the UK or USA in every single year since then up to and including 2011. That's a fourteen year singing career, which is one hell of a long time considering the fickle music business. What's more every one of her studio albums have hit either number 1 or number 2 in America and were released between 1997 and 2011.

Bearing in mind the fact that you have suggested Bieber and One Direction will have "short" careers such as Timberlake or Spears, I'm sure Bieber and the lads of One Direction will be overjoyed to know that you think they will have a career lasting 15 years or more.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 am

Brian Quinn wrote:As of today (14th November) PFAP is No.55 in the UK Midweek Album Charts. Earlier on it was 41. It has a total print run of 5,000.

You mean a 5,000 print run for the UK right, not worldwide?

If the numbers are that restricted, it won't be on the charts for long even if it sells out.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:37 pm

PFAP nowhere in the Billboard Top 200

#60 It's Christmas Time
#174 The Classic Christmas Album - Elvis Presley, but the icon has a picture of Willie Nelson's album

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Jove wrote:PFAP nowhere in the Billboard Top 200

#60 It's Christmas Time
#174 The Classic Christmas Album - Elvis Presley, but the icon has a picture of Willie Nelson's album

c`mon folks do your research, if PFAP hits the charts you will not see it until next weeks billboard chart, it`s just came out on Tuesday (13) in the U.S :shock: the Willie cover is an obvious mistake but hey that`s billboard for ya!! :D

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 pm

The original poster started this thread on Nov. 9, 2012. A week later would be Nov. 16, which is tomorrow. :roll: