Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 am

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:00 am

So I don’t get it. Where have all the Elvis fans gone?
Do Elvis fans no longer care about a great new release?
Are they too old and don’t have $30 to spend?

With all the publicity, especially in the US newspapers and magazines, Rolling Stone etc and UK ones as well, SURELY enough Elvis fans would be excited enough to spend $30 on the new DVD/CD set to get it in the Top 50 at least?
Costing less than a small round-of-drinks in the pub or a bottle of wine in restaurant, this is a great deal.

70,000 fans go to Elvis Week in the US.
There are well-attended Elvis type celebrations in the UK.
The TCB Band worldwide concerts are well attended everywhere with 1000s in the audience.
Elvis Fan Clubs such as Essential Elvis UK or Elvis Matters claim large numbers of members.
Here in Australia 12,000 go to the Parkes Elvis Birthday festival - and the Elvis Cruise last weekend was close to Sold Out with 2000 fans.

These people/ fans are all spending serious cash. The majority must surely know about the PFAP release.

EIN gets 1000s of UNIQUE visitors who must see the “buy PFAP banner” at the top, and I am sure other websites like EPE get way more numbers than that.

So why aren’t these Elvis fans bothering to buy this great – and Value-for-Money – release? They can’t be that hard-strapped for cash.

Only around 3,500 sales in the UK out of a population of 63 million is pathetic.

Even though CD sales are really LOW nowadays I think Rihanna made a #1 Album with less than 10,000 sales!

This doesn’t bode well for any future Deluxe releases.
I was really hoping with all the publicity that it would crack the Top 40.

Have Elvis fans given up? Your thoughts?

Cheers, Piers

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:25 am

PiersEIN wrote:So I don’t get it. Where have all the Elvis fans gone?

With all the publicity, especially in the US newspapers and magazines, Rolling Stone etc and UK ones as well, SURELY enough Elvis fans would be excited enough to spend $30 on the new DVD/CD set to get it in the Top 50 at least?
Costing less than a small round-of-drinks in the pub or a bottle of wine in restaurant, this is a great deal.

The TCB Band worldwide concerts are well attended everywhere with 1000s in the audience.
Elvis Fan Clubs such as Essential Elvis UK or Elvis Matters claim large numbers of members.
Here in Australia 12,000 go to the Parkes Elvis Birthday festival - and the Elvis Cruise last weekend was close to Sold Out with 2000 fans.

These people/ fans are all spending serious cash. The majority must surely know about the PFAP release.

EIN gets 1000s of UNIQUE visitors who must see the “buy PFAP banner” at the top, and I am sure other websites like EPE get way more numbers than that.

So why aren’t these Elvis fans bothering to buy this great – and Value-for-Money – release? They can’t be that hard-strapped for cash.

Only around 3,500 sales in the UK out of a population of 63 million is pathetic.

Even though CD sales are really LOW nowadays I think Rihanna made a #1 Album with less than 10,000 sales!

Cheers, Piers

I will go through my personal experience.
I have only been made aware of this release through this board and through the links on this board.
I bought it on line because of that.
I have heard about it in no other manner, written, visual nor audio.
I personally know of at least 7 other Elvis fans through work or social connections and not one of them is aware of this release. Not one of them spends their time online checking forums
That tells me that there are a lot of Elvis fans out there who may buy a product if they were made aware of it, but are not being reached because they are not in the know circut.

This product may sell if promoted at Graceland or Wallmart.

Another point by the by, I have recently seen a large poster campaign for a Beatles Box set and a Michael Jackson product. People just go by them with no interest and I don't see any appreciable sales of these products to suggest that the poster campaign has had any impact.
The Beatles may have disbanded a long time ago but Paul sure keeps their memory alive with massive audiance appearances, people tend to overlook this. At one time I thing this may have greatly assisted Beatles sales, but not so much now.
The Stones have had saturation publicity recently, but this does not yet seemed to have resuled in any great sales of their back catalogue.
Anyway just some obersavations which may or may not be correct

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:03 am

Cheers, Piers

It's not in store.
5000 units available in the UK for example... thats nothing.

On line sales are popular but mainly driven by downloads, this is a boxset.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is satisfied as their expertations were obviously low.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 am

FredAistair wrote:
I have only been made aware of this release through this board and through the links on this board.
I personally know of at least 7 other Elvis fans through work or social connections and not one of them is aware of this release. Not one of them spends their time online checking forums
That tells me that there are a lot of Elvis fans out there who may buy a product if they were made aware of it, but are not being reached because they are not in the know circut.

Agreed that I haven't seen a poster or such like, BUT Sony have certainly got this into the mainstream media (for a change).

However I still can't quite grip the fact that over 100,000 fans worldwide would know about this through Elvis websites (EIN had been promoting it for months as has EPE) - plus there is the recent newspaper articles to push up the excitement.

Surely most Elvis fans would want something like this for $27? Newly discovered film, photos, Cds etc - great value.
Even if half of them decide to wait or can't afford it surely, it would still be a big seller?

I can't believe it has gone down the charts in its second week!!
What happened to all those British fans?

Cheers, Piers

I'm going to find some EIN Fan club members and ask them why they haven't bought it - if they haven't!

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:12 pm

PiersEIN wrote:
FredAistair wrote:

Agreed that I haven't seen a poster or such like, BUT Sony have certainly got this into the mainstream media (for a change).

However I still can't quite grip the fact that over 100,000 fans worldwide would know about this through Elvis websites (EIN had been promoting it for months as has EPE) - plus there is the recent newspaper articles to push up the excitement.

Surely most Elvis fans would want something like this for $27? Newly discovered film, photos, Cds etc - great value.
Even if half of them decide to wait or can't afford it surely, it would still be a big seller?

I can't believe it has gone down the charts in its second week!!
What happened to all those British fans?

Cheers, Piers

I'm going to find some EIN Fan club members and ask them why they haven't bought it - if they haven't!

A good friend of mine who lives in Belgium and who has seen Elvis live 31 times, just like me, and who moreover had the privilege of meeting him before a show in Las Vegas, doesn't buy FTD's, Legacy or remastered CD's. She listens to Elvis every day, but is pleased with what she has and is not interested in outtakes. Personally I think she misses a lot because the new masters are too good to be true. I have the Complete Elvis Presley Masters and it's like rediscovering every song. She checks the Elvis forums regularly, in particular EIN, and knows about "Prince From Another Planet", but when she last wrote me, she told me that she wasn't going to buy it, unless she heard from other fans that it really was worthwhile. I think that it has something to do with finances and she has other priorities. Here in The Netherlands, like I previously said, I saw respectively 2 and 5 copies in 2 shops in Rotterdam on the day of release. I bought 1 copy and when I checked last week, the others were sold, but no new stock. Which is a shame, because everybody is buying presents for Sinterklaas on 6th December and wouldn't it be a good idea to buy "Prince" for a family member or friend who is an Elvis fan. Of course, you can buy a copy online, but without publicity how is one to know if you're not an hardcore Elvis fan.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:25 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote: no doubt much of that money went into the restorartion of the video footage.

You mean to say the original footage was even worse?

You're right. For all the pre-release hype - and as welcome as it certainly was - the quality of the 8mm film was/is distinctly average.

On the other hand, the Jonas Mekas MSG footage [apparently shot on 16mm] appears to be in another league altogether.

One can but hope that something special is done with it eventually.

phpBB [video]

Jonas Mekas - Time lapse film short (MSG, June 9, 1972)

Has it ever been confirmed whether all the zooming in and out and blur were applied after the filming. Or was this his actual camera work such as zooming in and out with in camera lens, exposure settings, quick panning and scanning, and filming over already filmed sequences to create the double images. If all this is on the original negative then it is of limited value other than for a few screen grabs. Hopefully the original footage is not like this as it would be an amazing piece of film. However if was actually filmed this way it resigns itself to yet another example of 70's madness mascarading as art.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:23 pm

This just in!!

i) PFAP falls out of the Top200

ii) "It's Chrsitmas Time", even selling 13,000 copies, falls to the #80 position in the Top200, the #11 catalog position and the #15 Holiday positions.

iii) "Classic Chrsitmas Album" manages to only fall to the #159 at the Top200.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Well, my Christmas has just been shot to hell!

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:33 pm

To answer the question where have all the Elvis fans gone. Nowhere. I know several Elvis fans that wont buy this because, well , they have it already. They could care less about the choppy DVD. The question should be, how can Sony expect Elvis fans to buy the same material over & over again? Even the casual fan that has one of the Garden CDs probably is not tempted to buy this. I did, but to be honest, would have been perfectly content with the original CDs I had. I prob wont watch the DVD again. The real die hard fan is becoming less in mumber and soon will be a memory. As far as the general music buying public, the greet a 'live' Elvis release with a yawn.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:53 pm

r&b wrote:They could care less about the choppy DVD.

Think about that for a minute.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Robert wrote:

Cheers, Piers

It's not in store.
5000 units available in the UK for example... thats nothing.

On line sales are popular but mainly driven by downloads, this is a boxset.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is satisfied as their expertations were obviously low.

Yesterday there were 14 copies in one of the Norwich HMVs and 6 in the other. As for the other edition, there were 3 in each.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Rob wrote:Well, my Christmas has just been shot to hell!

There is still time to adjust.
Maybe the next FTD will make it to the top 200.
Wouldn't that be a nice Christmas present?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:18 pm

It would be a Christmas to remember for generations to come.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Cheers, Piers

I think the main point is that the DVD is very disappointing. Elvis fans want to see Elvis as much as hear him, and watching this out- of-focus terribly grainy footage is no picknick. I'm a huge Seventies fan but seeing it once was enough for me.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Gary Crawford wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote: no doubt much of that money went into the restorartion of the video footage.

You mean to say the original footage was even worse?

You're right. For all the pre-release hype - and as welcome as it certainly was - the quality of the 8mm film was/is distinctly average.

On the other hand, the Jonas Mekas MSG footage [apparently shot on 16mm] appears to be in another league altogether.

One can but hope that something special is done with it eventually.

phpBB [video]

Jonas Mekas - Time lapse film short (MSG, June 9, 1972)

Has it ever been confirmed whether all the zooming in and out and blur were applied after the filming. Or was this his actual camera work such as zooming in and out with in camera lens, exposure settings, quick panning and scanning, and filming over already filmed sequences to create the double images. If all this is on the original negative then it is of limited value other than for a few screen grabs. Hopefully the original footage is not like this as it would be an amazing piece of film. However if was actually filmed this way it resigns itself to yet another example of 70's madness mascarading as art.

Mekas is well known for his avant-garde cinema, so it is likely that most of the effects and techniques we see in the noted "Mozart, Wien & Elvis" film short [see below] were done post-production. A re-imagining of the event if you will.

phpBB [video]

"Mozart, Wien & Elvis" (Jonas Mekas film short)

For more on Mekas: here are some enlightening passages from an interview he did with Swiss curator and art critic Hans-Ulrich Obrist:

How far removed can your films become from reality during the extraction process?
Say my films are like wine, or bread. It’s all real. But during the process of winemaking or breadmaking, the original materials get transformed into something else. So I extract little fragments of reality and I make something different out of them.

What role does re-use play in your role as filmmaker?
I am more into using the filmed material in new ways. I am very interested in what happens when I break up a film into four parts and present it on four monitors. It’s no longer a linear kind of memoir, there is a totally different energy that comes in. That content is transformed into a different and more contemporary event. I know that some of my fellow filmmakers look at this as almost sacrilegious. They say that film is film and that you should leave it alone. But I think that both are legit. I am very immersed in the possibilities of this way of re-using my films.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... AMRoLl-G2g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.