Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Favorite Song From MSG Show

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Happy Thanksgiving All!

I really am enjoying the Price From Another Planet Set. Rediscovery if you will. I always felt that Elvis really rushed through the evening show, but there really isn't much to quibble about. It's a powerful concert to me, even if we had the dry run of it already with the Elvis On Tour shows (I still think Hampton Roads is better than either of the recorded Garden shows).

Anyway, my favorite track...The Impossible Dream. I still get chills from it, even as my wife doesn't think it's anything special. We can debate whether or not Elvis should have recorded such material, some would say that about "My Way" as well. I think it's a great performance however, I wish I could express the reasons why I love it, but I just do. I also love how he belts out "I Can't Stop Loving You"-not my favorite version that he recorded but the runner up track for the evening show to me.

The afternoon show, well, I've always loved "Reconsider Baby" and "I'll Remember You".

How about you?

JosephC

Re: Favorite Song From MSG Show

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Reconsider Baby

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 pm

JosephC wrote:Happy Thanksgiving All!

I really am enjoying the Price From Another Planet Set. Rediscovery if you will. I always felt that Elvis really rushed through the evening show, but there really isn't much to quibble about. It's a powerful concert to me, even if we had the dry run of it already with the Elvis On Tour shows (I still think Hampton Roads is better than either of the recorded Garden shows).

Anyway, my favorite track...The Impossible Dream. I still get chills from it, even as my wife doesn't think it's anything special. We can debate whether or not Elvis should have recorded such material, some would say that about "My Way" as well. I think it's a great performance however, I wish I could express the reasons why I love it, but I just do. I also love how he belts out "I Can't Stop Loving You"-not my favorite version that he recorded but the runner up track for the evening show to me.

The afternoon show, well, I've always loved "Reconsider Baby" and "I'll Remember You".

How about you?

JosephC

I have to go with I can't stop loving you. I love this version.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 pm

I've always loved the final note on Can't Stop Loving You from the afternoon show. Reconsider and I'll Remember You are terrific also. But I am in a Never Been To Spain frame of mind at the moment and love the afternoon version now I am hearing more from EP's vocals and JB's guitar. Great stuff.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 pm

"The Impossible Dream" is the best moment for me too.

He performs it with such gusto and passion, it gives me chills. One of my favourite all time live performances by Elvis. He should have made this the concert closer, would have been some way to end these record-breaking concerts.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Definitely, The Impossible Dream is my top choice.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 pm

hmm, I gotta go with Reconsider Baby and Never Been To spain from the afternoon show :D, Never been to spain really sounds awesome and looks great with the almost complete footage of that version!

phpBB [video]

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:12 am

Johnny2523 wrote:hmm, I gotta go with Reconsider Baby and Never Been To spain from the afternoon show :D, Never been to spain really sounds awesome and looks great with the almost complete footage of that version!

phpBB [video]

Never Been to Spain or Polk Salad Annie.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:17 am

Evening show: The Impossible Dream
Afternoon show: Reconsider Baby

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:21 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:"The Impossible Dream" is the best moment for me too.

He performs it with such gusto and passion, it gives me chills. One of my favourite all time live performances by Elvis. He should have made this the concert closer, would have been some way to end these record-breaking concerts.

Agree entirely with you, but I think we are both influenced by his not singing that song (sang only 27 times, all of them in the 1971/72 period), nor its having been released often. Hear me out. Had we listened to say, 15 other versions of that song, soundboard recording included, BEFORE purchasing "As recorded at Madison Square Garden", which I did, anyways, the same week of its release, we would have perhaps settled for "I can't stop loving you", or at least I would have. He never sang ICSLY better, to my ears, not just on a record, nor live as well, the latter taking into account my having seen and heard him do it really often.
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 am

I confess to not seeing Reconsider Baby as the highlight just because it a rarity. Yes, it's good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 1969 version from Las Vegas. The highlight for me is without doubt Never Been To Spain, which seems like just a perfect melding of the various different influences in Presley's act at that point. Here he is singing gospel, blues, rock and country all at the same time. The arrangement is great too, and the moment when Elvis takes it up the octave is stunning.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 am

I Cant Stop Loving You
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:52 am

For The Good Times is the song that is No. 1 in my book, but both Never Been To Spain and Impossible Dream is favourites. MSG is one of the best live album ever recorded!!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 am

blue boy wrote:For The Good Times is the song that is No. 1 in my book, but both Never Been To Spain and Impossible Dream is favourites. MSG is one of the best live album ever recorded!!

Which live albums are in your top ten?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:52 am

Never Been To Spain
Polk Salad Annie
Reconsider Baby
I'll Remember You
For The Good Times
The Impossible Dream
American Trilogy

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:53 am

Johnny2523 wrote:hmm, I gotta go with Reconsider Baby and Never Been To spain from the afternoon show :D, Never been to spain really sounds awesome and looks great with the almost complete footage of that version!

phpBB [video]

Yeah, Spain for me too. I almost had tears in my eyes when watching that on the DVD for the first time.

Don't tell Mrs King Volcano.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:57 am

poormadpeter wrote:I confess to not seeing Reconsider Baby as the highlight just because it a rarity. Yes, it's good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 1969 version from Las Vegas. The highlight for me is without doubt Never Been To Spain, which seems like just a perfect melding of the various different influences in Presley's act at that point. Here he is singing gospel, blues, rock and country all at the same time. The arrangement is great too, and the moment when Elvis takes it up the octave is stunning.

I agree bigtime.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:57 am

2 favorites actually :

Never Been To Spain
Funny How Time Slips Away

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:59 am

The Impossible dream was the reason the evening show was released in 1972, and not the afternoon show.
An RCA executive liked it, at least that was mentioned in an old Joan Deary interview.

Anyway, I think it's the most special cut.
Somehow the song seems out of place as this is Elvis, downtown NY.. and you'd think he could have thrown in a more "safe" song.

This version symbolizes the triumph over there in June '72.
There is obviously better music elsewere in the setlist.. but I have a weak spot for it.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 am

I can't stop Loving you from the evening show for me. Reconsider baby is excellent but the way he starts it has always bothered me. I wish he would have used the slower well, so long........anyways they are great shows.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:13 am

Reconsider Baby

norrie

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:16 am

Evening Show
Impossible Dream
Hound Dog
Funny How Time Slips Away

Afternoon Show
I'll Remember You
American Trilogy
I Can't Stop Loving You

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 am

MSG evening show: The Impossible Dream

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 am

Afternoon Show
Polk Salad Annie
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
An American Trilogy

Evening Show
Never Been To Spain
The Impossible Dream
I Can't Stop Loving You

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:02 am

My older cousin who turned me on to Elvis in the summer of 68, introduced me to Jack Jones' cut of impossible dream a couple of years earlier. I long had wished Elvis would record it. Low and behold but there i am at MSG june 10 1972 and he belts it out having no idea it was even in his songbook. While not a technically great recording, it is backed with emotion. The recording doesnt remotely do justice to the impact on the audience. I still get chills down my spine when i hear it and close my eyes and remember what it felt like that night. Best- who knows- but my go to track for sure.