Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The Rebel FINALLY Gets To Tell HIS Story!

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:59 am

Looks good cheers for posting !!!

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:18 am

poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:Something that i found strange is that Nick Adam's daughter remembers sitting in Elvis' lap in 1961.

I thought going by the article that she was just a baby and therefore would have no recollection of that.

Another book latching on to Elvis and making silly comments all in the name of money.

The book isn't written by the daughter, it was written by Adams himself. The book appears to be almost unique. I'm not sure at what point Adams wrote the book, but obviously it was before his death in 1968. This would make it one of the first books in which a close friend of Presley's talks at length about his friendship with Presley. What's more, because the book was never published, we can assume that it was not written in order "cash in" on the association with Presley at all.

I didn't say that the book was written by the daughter.

You could still write a book about Elvis and try to ''cash in'' on him while he was still alive.

It just wasn't done a whole lot while Elvis was still living.

Perhaps Nick's book was never published because he may not have been able to find a publisher or perhaps changed his mind about publishing it.

The daughter got it published and is going around promoting it making silly comments.

Money is her angle in all of this i'm sure.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:55 am

brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:Something that i found strange is that Nick Adam's daughter remembers sitting in Elvis' lap in 1961.

I thought going by the article that she was just a baby and therefore would have no recollection of that.

Another book latching on to Elvis and making silly comments all in the name of money.

The book isn't written by the daughter, it was written by Adams himself. The book appears to be almost unique. I'm not sure at what point Adams wrote the book, but obviously it was before his death in 1968. This would make it one of the first books in which a close friend of Presley's talks at length about his friendship with Presley. What's more, because the book was never published, we can assume that it was not written in order "cash in" on the association with Presley at all.

You could still write a book about Elvis and try to ''cash in'' on him while he was still alive.

Perhaps Nick's book was never published because he may not have been able to find a publisher or perhaps changed his mind about publishing it.

The daughter got it published and is going around promoting it making silly comments.

And you know this from a couple of articles you have read? Well, that's nice of you to judge another human being in that way.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:13 am

poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

And you know this from a couple of articles you have read? Well, that's nice of you to judge another human being in that way.

Yes, partially.

Also partly because i know that writing a book is done for the money.

Sometimes it is done soley for the money sometimes partially.

Someone that says they didn't write a book at all for the money is not being an honest person.

I do think Nick Adam's daughter made some silly comments in promoting the book and is out to get money from cashing in on Elvis.

Just like everyone else in the Elvis World.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:24 am

brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Yes, partially.

Someone that says they didn't write a book at all for the money is not being an honest person.

I do think Nick Adam's daughter made some silly comments in promoting the book and is out to get money from cashing in on Elvis.

Many people write books and don't get paid a dime.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:38 am

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061569 ... 0615693105

I wonder how much of the 184 pages was penned by Adams and how much by his daughter?

EDIT - Taking a look at the Amazon preview, it's more like 113 pages, with the rest taken up by the inclusion of the original manuscript, credits etc.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:00 am

For starters, it would be good to do some research of the mindset and credibility of Nick Adams.

NUMEROUS sources have weighed in on this subject -- not just with regard to Elvis -- but to the Hollywood scene in general.

Nick's daughter was a guest of EPE promoting the book in Memphis at EW2012.

My own opinion is that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:09 am

IIRC, June Juanico wasn't a big fan of Adams.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:06 am

poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Yes, partially.

Many people write books and don't get paid a dime.

Yes, but those people are aspiring writers that will get lucky and get one book published.

That one book gets published then it doesn't sell so they don't make any money from it or get to release another book.

Writing a book about Elvis is an entirely different thing.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:57 am

There's nothing inherently wrong with writing a book with profit in mind though Brian, provided the contents are honest that is.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:05 am

TJ wrote:There's nothing inherently wrong with writing a book with profit in mind though Brian, provided the contents are honest that is.

I think often it's a bad situation.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:43 am

TJ wrote:Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061569 ... 0615693105

I wonder how much of the 184 pages was penned by Adams and how much by his daughter?

EDIT - Taking a look at the Amazon preview, it's more like 113 pages, with the rest taken up by the inclusion of the original manuscript, credits etc.

TJ, the skeptic in me thought the same thing. Latter day finds about Elvis truly make me wonder.

Thsnks for posting, John.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:49 am

The only kick about it is that only some people admit that there's a profit motive, or at least tacitly acknowledge it. I mean, it's so clear here that this is totally Elvis-oriented, and yet, she does make it seem as though she's just concerned with her father's memories. She should have wanted to write it regardless of whether she found something special about Elvis or not. Her dad should have been that important to her, just for himself. He's got an interesting story. But she chose the Elvis angle, and I think that's what people are seeing. That she wouldn't even have bothered without Elvis somewhere on the cover as a main player.

On the other hand, I think her dad got a bad rap most of the time, because of what people thought about his personal life. He was thought to have experienced . . . different sides of life, uh, how should I put it. Now, I don't think June was thinking of this at all; she was mostly concerned with Natalie Wood! And how he seemed to be pushing Natalie. Also, she thought he was tight with the Colonel, or I get that impression, and that doesn't go down well with her.

On those counts, he's misunderstood, I think. I think he just wanted to "make it" in the biz, and I don't think he ever betrayed Elvis, or spied on him, or anything like that. There were people who STAYED close to Elvis, his whole life, who DID also work for Parker, clearly, and who are constantly profiting on Elvis as their way of making a living, and yet Nick is seen in a worse light. (No names; you know who.)

So, yeah, it's exploitation, but not the worst. I'm gonna get the book. ;)

rjm

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:35 am

brian wrote:
TJ wrote:There's nothing inherently wrong with writing a book with profit in mind though Brian, provided the contents are honest that is.

I think often it's a bad situation.

Your just a, the glass is half empity kind of guy eh !!! :(

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:36 pm

poormadpeter wrote:... I'm not sure at what point Adams wrote the book, but obviously it was before his death in 1968. ...
how can you be sure about this? can someone confirm?

:mrgreen:

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:40 pm

This just sounds ridiculous. A book gets published, so we attack it because someone might make some money from it so they might not have Presley's best interests at heart. This despite the fact that this book was written a number of years before the idea of "tell-all" books about Elvis started appearing, and also despite the fact that no-one here has actually read it. Each book written should be judged on its own merits, and we can only do that when we have it in our hands, and yet this one is being judged prior to that for some bizarre reason. Perhaps we should all avoid any future books by Peter Guralnick incase he has written it thinking he might get a royalty check some day.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:28 pm

You didn't read my post correctly - these funny side stories were brought up in my INTERVIEW with her.
Nothing to do with what is in the book.
The book is based solely on her father's manuscript Adams typed up

Cheers
Piers

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:35 pm

PiersEIN wrote:

You didn't read my post correctly - these funny side stories were brought up in my INTERVIEW with her.

Cheers
Piers

You expect people to read what we write on here?

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:49 pm

PiersEIN wrote:

I didn't actually say that the story is in the book.

I meant Nick Adams' daughter is making silly comments while promoting her father's book.

I clarified that in a later post in this topic.

She did actually make that comment to you didn't she?

If so i find it to be very silly and not the least bit funny.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:04 pm

poormadpeter wrote:This just sounds ridiculous. A book gets published, so we attack it because someone might make some money from it so they might not have Presley's best interests at heart. This despite the fact that this book was written a number of years before the idea of "tell-all" books about Elvis started appearing, and also despite the fact that no-one here has actually read it.

As i said just because it wasn't as fashionable to write a personal book about Elvis while he was alive doesn't mean it couldn't have been done.

From what i've heard about Nick Adams he wanted to be a much bigger star than he was and he would hang out with people more famous than he was.

By writing a story detailing his friendship with Elvis it could have got him publicity and a little more well known.

According to June Junaico Nick Adams would come on to her behind Elvis' back that indicates that he might not have been a true friend to Elvis.

Nick Adam's daughter is definately playing up the Elvis angle to make money for herself which i find annoying.

Do i think this book will say anything bad about Elvis???

No, i think it will be mainly positive which is good.

I find it annoying that so many of these people have exaggeratted or spilled the beans on their friendships with Elvis just to make a buck.

If they do say anything bad about Elvis he isn't here to stand up for himself.

I'm surprised we never got a book from the guy that cleaned the pools at Graceland.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:08 pm

poormadpeter wrote:This just sounds ridiculous. A book gets published, so we attack it because someone might make some money from it so they might not have Presley's best interests at heart. This despite the fact that this book was written a number of years before the idea of "tell-all" books about Elvis started appearing, and also despite the fact that no-one here has actually read it. Each book written should be judged on its own merits, and we can only do that when we have it in our hands, and yet this one is being judged prior to that for some bizarre reason. Perhaps we should all avoid any future books by Peter Guralnick incase he has written it thinking he might get a royalty check some day.

Your thoughts mirror mine. Virtually every new book is looking to do more than break even. Otherwise publishers would go out of business.

Thanks to everyone with something nice and not self-promoting to add to this topic.

Having stumbled across the information on the Adams book, my wish was that any good fan who wants to read more now knows where to look, and how to order it. At the very least, the cover design is excellent, such a nice shot of Nick and Elvis, and whatever one thinks of Nick Adams, any new insights into Elvis Presley in that stunning year of 1956 will be totally worth reading about.

I was also hoping that one or two of those photos were new to some fans.

Thanks.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I was also hoping that one or two of those photos were new to some fans.
Thanks.

They where to me cheers.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
The Purple Gang wrote:John - did you notice this at the end of the article .... © 2012 Ventura County Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

:?:

Back to bash DJC again, are we???

No Tony, not bashing but a valid question regarding possible copyright infringement on the forum. When a website specifically asks you not to 'copy' its content then is it ok to lift photos, captions and text and post them elsewhere? :smt102 It’s something that happens regularly on here. Some might have qualms about doing this when just the link to the page itself would seem to be sufficient.

Stay cool, my friend. :smt004

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:48 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:John - did you notice this at the end of the article .... © 2012 Ventura County Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

:?:

Watch out Doc the "Purple Gang Web Police" is here!! :roll:

Did you notice you are rude just posting to show your jealousy of The Doc?

Nice work Doc very enjoyable topic! :smt023

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Rude? Yer man is no delicate doily. He positively thrives on this stuff.

Stay cool, my friend. :smt004