Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Opening night July 1969

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:25 am

Any chance that there's a soundboard of this show out there somewhere? Maybe in Bruce Jackson's private collection?

Re: Opening night July 1969

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Any chance that there's a soundboard of this show out there somewhere? Maybe in Bruce Jackson's private collection?

Yes. A chance. This chance.

snowheck.jpg

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:35 am

rjm wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Any chance that there's a soundboard of this show out there somewhere? Maybe in Bruce Jackson's private collection?

snowheck.jpg

rjm

So what makes you so certain that there's not a chance?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:44 am

Why would Jackson have a tape of this show?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:46 am

Was Bruce working with Elvis in 1969?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:10 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
rjm wrote:

snowheck.jpg

rjm

So what makes you so certain that there's not a chance?

It's pretty much the Holy Grail. (Well, close.) And there's just nothing. Odd that there's nothing, but it seems clear there's just nothing. If they haven't found this most prized of recordings by now, even an audience recording, anything, it does not exist. There have been whole topics about this, and I was just hoping somebody stuffed a tape recorder in their suit coat or something. But there seems to be nothing at all. This is MOST sought-after. If there were even a glimmer of hope . . . I think we'd have heard something about it, but there seems to be agreement on this: it does not exist. It's not even etched into a clay pot.

rjm

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:24 pm

I can't believe that it wasn't recorded, like I can't believe that Memphis 1961 wasn't recorded.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:40 pm

TheCoolKing wrote:I can't believe that it wasn't recorded, like I can't believe that Memphis 1961 wasn't recorded.

Well, there's no rational explanatoon for '61, but I guess they didn't know what to expect in'69 and wanted to be super-cautious. Which they were. Maybe Felton warned them that he swears a lot, I dunno. They edited the shows they did record rigorously. And bootlegs were just starting out, generally. I guess they were worried about his image. Otherwise, it's crazy!

But just a test tape? I guess they were paranoid.

rjm

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Shows may have well been recorded. History shows that many shows indeed were recorded. But whether recordings did survive is another question. 1969 Opening Night is not likely to be in the hands of Bruce Jackson. Jackson worked with Elvis from 1971 to 1977.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:32 pm

I must admit, knowing that the Colonel wants to make a fast buck, people would have expected him to have had this recorded............... I have often wondered over the years, was it ever actually recorded????

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:46 pm

In the 1980s, that guy that put the scarves around Elvis' neck and fetched his water told me that EVERY show was recorded by the sound engineer. He went on to say that some tapes were kept, some were given away and many were recorded over. Opening night more than likely was recorded. What happened to the tape probably fell into the fate of the third instance that I just mentioned.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:26 am

Some interesting views and opinions. Here's another. Wasn't the opening night a supposedly VIP invite only? If it was, then it might explain why no recording was made (audience recording) of the event.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:57 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Some interesting views and opinions. Here's another. Wasn't the opening night a supposedly VIP invite only? If it was, then it might explain why no recording was made (audience recording) of the event.

Since it's audio only, why would that be a factor? You wouldn't see their faces, or even hear individual voices, and be able to make them out. It's Vegas; famous people are always in the audience. And they accepted the invitation, which means they accepted the terms and conditions, whatever they were.

This was a show that was reviewed very widely, all over the country; the rock press was there in force. They were flown in. (I think a few reviews were of later shows; you can tell by the dialogue; I doubt it could have been identical as it changed from time to time.) In any event he apparently said some wild things that night, and I'd sure like to hear it. (The Rolling Stone guy said he did magic mushrooms before the show, and had some kind of aural-x-ray-hearing, and could hear Elvis's whispers . . . don't know about that!) But we should be able to hear it, and every indication is that it just does not exist, for whatever reason. All we can do imagine it in our minds.

That brings up a related point: why no film at the press conference? Or video-tape? Why only stills? What on Earth were they afraid of? That makes no sense. It would have been great publicity at the time because it would have been on TV! I have no idea about that thought process. There must have been something they were afraid of. Because they did it later. You can have all the Houston Astrodome ('70) you want! (Well, it's an audience recording, but I still love listening!) And the press conference, and there was another press event . . . why not let people here it all?

I can't imagine SOMEONE didn't secretly record something, but it seems as though they did not. (Unless the person who did is still very much alive and kickin' and he's keeping it until . . . well.)

Unless it's being carefully kept under lock and key, and will be released in 2014, on the 45th (you wouldn't want to wait any longer!). And it would be this amazing thing! (RARE FIND RELEASED! ELVIS' LIVE STAGE COMEBACK! OPENING NIGHT!) They could say they were aimlessly going through some old boxes, totally unrelated, and what to their wondering eyes did they see?!?! That seems highly unlikely, but one can dream. It would sell!

rjm

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Rob wrote:In the 1980s, that guy that put the scarves around Elvis' neck and fetched his water told me that EVERY show was recorded by the sound engineer. He went on to say that some tapes were kept, some were given away and many were recorded over. Opening night more than likely was recorded. What happened to the tape probably fell into the fate of the third instance that I just mentioned.

Didn't that same guy, also in the 1980s, write a book that said Elvis died of bone cancer?

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Alexander wrote:Shows may have well been recorded. History shows that many shows indeed were recorded. But whether recordings did survive is another question. 1969 Opening Night is not likely to be in the hands of Bruce Jackson. Jackson worked with Elvis from 1971 to 1977.

Speaking of the late Bruce Jackson, is a deal with his family was made of the tapeS he had?Maybe some good surprises will come...??(obviously not 69 opening)

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Didn't that same guy, also in the 1980s, write a book that said Elvis died of bone cancer?

I'm not sure he said he died of bone cancer, just that he had it -- which was bad enough (but I never read his book, so maybe he did say that).

Anyway, I tend to believe the recording story. Many artists record all of their shows. I know first-hand that Conway Twitty did. I got many tapes from his bass player in 1989 ranging from the late '60s up until that time (with Conway's permission). For awhile, a few years back, I helped a friend of mine run his night club and I was the one booking the national acts. Everyone who came in had their show recorded by the sound engineer. I got copies of a couple of them (T.G. Sheppard and Bill Anderson). Given Charlie's record, we'll never know for sure, but I'm betting they were recorded -- and taped over, given away, etc.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:50 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:In the 1980s, that guy that put the scarves around Elvis' neck and fetched his water told me that EVERY show was recorded by the sound engineer. He went on to say that some tapes were kept, some were given away and many were recorded over. Opening night more than likely was recorded. What happened to the tape probably fell into the fate of the third instance that I just mentioned.

Didn't that same guy, also in the 1980s, write a book that said Elvis died of bone cancer?

If that's what was told to him.....
He did not make it up himself.