Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: More MSG PFAP footage previews!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:24 am

This Sydney-sider is now the proud owner of this great set (Australian pressing including the Legacy release) and I must say the DVD is really engaging; I just wish it were longer with more Elvis footage. The afternoon show footage is awesome despite the dots. To now see Elvis performing parts of this show takes it to another level for me. My favourite parts so far include the conclusion of That's All Right when the microphone stand drops ("it just died, didn't it"?) {I presume Elvis was referring to some kind of sound drop out before seeing this}, the complete Hound Dog, Heartbreak Hotel (he seems completely 'into' it), and the finale of Suspicious Minds (it seems Elvis did not switch off his microphone when he dropped it on to the stage before beginning his karate show-off edit[i]as you can hear the thud which I presumed was Ronnie's bass drum but occurs as the mic hits the stage[/i]).As usual, its easy to imagine so much about a sound recording and come to many false conclusions, but when seeing that recording come to life with matching footage it becomes a totally new and fascinating experience.
Last edited by Jim Dandy on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:24 am

Jim Dandy wrote:This Sydney-sider is now the proud owner of this great set (Australian pressing including the Legacy release) and I must say the DVD is really engaging; I just wish it were longer with more Elvis footage. The afternoon show footage is awesome despite the dots. To now see Elvis performing parts of this show takes it to another level for me. My favourite parts so far include the conclusion of That's All Right when the microphone stand drops ("it just died, didn't it"?) {I presume Elvis was referring to some kind of sound drop out before seeing this}, the complete Hound Dog, Heartbreak Hotel (he seems completely 'into' it), and the finale of Suspicious Minds (it seems Elvis did not switch off his microphone when he dropped it on to the stage before beginning his karate show-off).As usual, its easy to imagine so much about a sound recording and come to many false conclusions, but when seeing that recording come to life with matching footage it becomes a totally new and fascinating experience.

Exactly - non fans don't realise the physical side of the King - the karate, the moves - Prince From Another Planet...

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:32 am

Jim Dandy wrote:This Sydney-sider is now the proud owner of this great set (Australian pressing including the Legacy release) and I must say the DVD is really engaging; I just wish it were longer with more Elvis footage. The afternoon show footage is awesome despite the dots. To now see Elvis performing parts of this show takes it to another level for me. My favourite parts so far include the conclusion of That's All Right when the microphone stand drops ("it just died, didn't it"?) {I presume Elvis was referring to some kind of sound drop out before seeing this}, the complete Hound Dog, Heartbreak Hotel (he seems completely 'into' it), and the finale of Suspicious Minds (it seems Elvis did not switch off his microphone when he dropped it on to the stage before beginning his karate show-off).As usual, its easy to imagine so much about a sound recording and come to many false conclusions, but when seeing that recording come to life with matching footage it becomes a totally new and fascinating experience.

Nice review Jim and really sums up the point of including the fan footage. I am hoping mine will arrive today. Ingesting comment on the Mic as I to thought it was to do with a bit of feedback on stage.

Cheers

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 am

Polk Salad Annie: http://vimeo.com/53192427#at=0

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Just saw that on Facebook!! What an incredible ending!!! Funny how the scarf keeps its "unbalacing", from its original position around his neck, almost even in each side when the clip starts, until, litttle by little, it goes further to one side before he lets it fall into the stage, for his third of five back to back final moves. He then looks at it, for a full second, after which his mind must have told him, right there and then, that the scarf may have one more purpose left, after all (LOL) And then, wham!! It becomes a sort of a race, so he ends it with it!!!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Ed Parker wrote:Polk Salad Annie: http://vimeo.com/53192427#at=0

Did the cut out Jerry's bass solo on dvd??!!!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:Just saw that on Facebook!! What an incredible ending!!! Funny how the scarf keeps its "unbalacing", from its original position around his neck, almost even in each side when the clip starts, until, litttle by little, it goes further to one side before he lets it fall into the stage, for his third of five back to back final moves. He then looks at it, for a full second, after which his mind must have told him, right there and then, that the scarf may have one more purpose left, after all (LOL) And then, wham!! It becomes a sort of a race, so he ends it with it!!!

Thats a great observation and I concur on each point. I recall the discussion from the On Tour interviews where the comment is made in words to the effect that there is a copnstant interplay between EP and all members of the band: this is clear when Elvis sings the bass part in Suspicious Minds (from memory I think he imitates JD on '....caught in a trap...") and looks at JD with a slight grin, but more obvious at the start of Polk Salad Annie with Jerry's pulsating bass: Elvis is just standing there pretending to be seemingly oblivious to the excitement of the music, then the Sweets start shouting "Do it! Do it!". Elvis smiles in their direction and starts "Down in Louisiana......".

Perhaps this will open FTD to a brand new market of fan footage with overdubbed related tracks, whether it be a single performance like combining the Prince footage with the known Gilermine footage (which on VHS makes the suit look green), Kansas City or Omaha 1974, Cleveland '75, to compiltaions of sounds with related footage (say Vegas '74 beginning with the opening night showing EP in the Peacock suit through to some two-piece leather suites), December 75. Perhaps Pittsburgh '76 is an option considering there is 5 known camera angles.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Excellent, thanks for the link :smt023

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Thank you for the link. Words simply seem inadequate in describing Elvis at his peak!

rlj

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:26 pm

My delux package has just arrived and wow! An absolute steel at £14 - it's a really lovely package and exudes quality just like the actual gigs. I haven't read the booklet yet but love the picture on page 35 from the evening show. I've not seen it before - god he was so cool. And the action shot from page 48 from the afternoon show where he is in the air - again just fantastic. I've seen it before I am sure but seeing it in the context of the whole event just adds something extra.

Not sure how I missed this but Vic mastered both shows on the delux set as well as legacy edition - i must have somehow have missed that on the all of the threads so far. That bodes well for sound quality. Well next step is to listen to the CD's this aternoon - once my wife goes out shopping! Then I will save the DVD for later tonight. Again, the package is a treat and makes you proud to be an Elvis fan. To think that out there are regular music fans who may never have bought the original CD's who will get this for the first time - they are in for a treat.

I am sure this will sell well not just within the hardcore Elvis fan community.

cheers Jamie

:D :D :D

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:49 pm

just read the booklet and I have to confess to being a bit teary eyed - hard to explain - makes you proud and sad at the same time. What went wrong.....Still enough of that time to enjoy the music.

J

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Jamie wrote:just read the booklet and I have to confess to being a bit teary eyed - hard to explain - makes you proud and sad at the same time. What went wrong.....Still enough of that time to enjoy the music.

J

Jamie, don't worry about what went wrong. Enjoy the many great moments such as his historic MSG performances! ::rocks

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Wow what a superb set

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:32 pm

http://vimeo.com/53208608

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:22 pm

just finished the afternoon show. The slight reverb (I'm no technical expert so it might be some other effect) applied to his voice is just perfect. Elvis sounds awesome which is surely what this is all about. Never Been to Spain sounds great with Elvis really mean and JB's guitar cutting through the mix. Other stand outs for me vocally were Heartbeak Hotel and Love Me Tender, I wouldn't have normally said that but the mix/mastering just seems to add something to his performance and got me really listening to these afresh. I'll Remember You and For The Good Times being sparse arangements also sound great. The "But AllLLLLLLLLLLLLLL My Trials Lord" bit of Trilogy is just perfect. The ending of I Can't Stop Loving You has always been my favorite, just love that last note on "Yester err errday" and it comes across even beter here. The disk captures the live feel realy well and our man sounds fantastic.

Now for the Evening Show!

cheers Jamie

:D

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Greg1995 wrote:

it might not have been filmed.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:56 pm

DEH wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:

it might not have been filmed.

I get the impression he 'picks and chooses' what he wants to capture

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 pm

just finished the evening show. I have to say Brauer has done a geat job showcasing Elvis' vocals. I am picking up nuances and phrasing I simply didn't get on the original recording. Love Never Been To Spain again. I always preferred the Feb version of Impossible Dream as I thought MSG sounded strained, listening to it now i've changed my mind, Elvis nails it - great stuff.

I think the evening show mix whilst similer to the afternoon show seems to have the clearer percussion, as did the original imo. It really kicks ass - as the booklet narrative also highlights. Have to say it's like listening to the gigs for the first time again.

cheers Jamie

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Just watching now - great moves in 'polk' - like a human dynamo - not complete but at the end of the performance...but what we have is AMAZING. Love the shimmy across the stage and the jump action too.

I like the fact the whole concert is played but with the captured footage seen where available...Love the start of 'Hound Dog' and the Elvis pose...

Watching with the booklet and fantastic pics open on my lap...oh that blue swirl suit...The wild karate action at the end of 'Suspicious MInds' - wow!!!love it!!! It gives a fantastic sense of the spectacle and the captivating physical presence of Elvis live on stage -- what a showman...

There 's an option to select a track also.I haven 't played the discs yet!Fantastic footage!!!!
More later. 8)
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for all of the reporting. You guys are really getting me anxious to get my copy when it becomes available here in the US.

rlj

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:56 pm

I think I have seen non-pro film of this show from other angles. So it might be possible - combining different sources - to have the complete show.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Jamie wrote:just read the booklet and I have to confess to being a bit teary eyed.
J

Sends you a bouquet of roses and a hallmark card. I share your empathy. That's just how I am.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Just finished the documentary and its worth the price on its own. I've watched it on 100 inch screen and the grain whilst obvious is irrelevant, you simply get swept up in the occasions. As mentioned Hound Dog when actually seen takes it to a whole new level, great stuff. Suspicious Minds is awesome and I actually yeld out a woop and started clapping, I really should grew up...,,I haven't even watched the main event yet. But so far this is the best £14 I think I have ever spent on a mainstream Elvis release. It's fantastic.

J

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:10 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Thanks for all of the reporting. You guys are really getting me anxious to get my copy when it becomes available here in the US.

rlj

"Polk Salad" is fantastic and the ending of 'Suspicious Minds" –– also the cape footage at the end ties everything together nicely.

The Documentary is fantastic...watched it twice already - once more again tonight...
From booklet:
IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Is this going to be released at HMV?