Johnny2523 wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Now that we know that Prince from Another Planet has sold a measly 7000 units between Britain and America, anyone still want to bet that 40,000 units can be sold of an EOT concert in order to make it a viable venture?!

Absolutely. You cannot compare crisp professionally multi camera angle filmed 16mm footage to out of focus terribly grainy snippets of amateur 8mm footage Peter.

On the contrary. You can only go by GUARANTEED sales. The only guaranteed sales is that of fans. This release of Prince was bought by most fans not for the video, but for the remastered and remixed sound we have been crying out for for decades. To suggest that there are approximately 30,000 non-hardcore fans ready to buy a relatively costly DVD or boxed set of Elvis On Tour is simply not feasible. If you were the head of warner how could you possibly be convinced of this? Had Prince sold, maybe 20,000-25,000 copies, then you would have a case that the general public has an appetite for quality Elvis product. But that isn't what happened. The figures show that only a couple of thousand people bought this who do not buy FTDs. there is no appetite for Elvis product amongst record/dvd buyers at the moment. if I was head of warner, I wouldn't invest in this venture either.

I think you are wrong here Peter, Warner should look at the sales figures of Aloha and '68 Comeback DVD's, and they sold a heap, and base on those figures whether it would be feasible.
TTWII Special Edition sales figures were disappointing in the States but that's because some moron decided to air the film on national TV the day before the DVD release. Most people taped it and were happy with that.

The Aloha and 68 Comeback DVDs were released nearly a decade ago. No executive in their right mind would look at sales from nearly ten years earlier and suggest they are a good bet for sales figures today. What's more, they were very different product. Elvis On Tour has been issued on DVD and Blu-Ray already (minus two minutes), where as Aloha and the 68 comeback had not had been released on DVD in good quality at that time. Many non-hardcore fans will be quite satisifed with the EOT DVD, and not feel the need to buy the extra footage.

The Aloha show and even the Rehearsal show were already released on DVD in the late Nineties, 1998 if I remember correctly. Still very many fans bought the Box set. Warner could even put a complete On Tour concert together and air it on TV, new TV specials also cost a lot of money, restoration costs should not be a problem then. And I can't believe that not enough people would turn on their TV to watch a never before seen show of Elvis. It's more a question of not being interested in such a project I fear.

The quality of the late 1990s dvds of the two tv specials was far below that of the later release - and I'm not even sure of their legality either, to be honest. It's not about interest, it's about money. If there was money in the venture, it would be done by now.

But how on earth is that possible Peter (not saying it isn't so) but 600.000 people stroll through Graceland each year, about 50.000!! people were in Memphis this year August 16th, common sense would dictate that these people who go through all the trouble of going to Memphis would be interested in buying a new concert on DVD. I understand that not all 600.000 people are hardcore Elvis fans but even if half of them are, then I can't understand why such a DVD wouldn't sell. By the way the nineties releases of Aloha and Rehearsal were legal, they were released in conjunction with EPE. And I still say that if Aloha and '68 sold well, and they did, that a new April '72 concert would also sell well.

And then not Hampton Roads '72 because that concert is almost complete in video terms. Altough it might be cheaper to release that show in its entirity because its almost complete. They would only need to master the remaining songs.

You can;t take footage from one release and then just work in newly restored footage, it would have to all be done from scratch.

I don't care how many people went through Graceland last year - it is perfectly clear that those figures do not correlate with the number of people buying product. Again, 50,000 people at Elvis week. Wow. All those fans. Except that there is actually one fan, and they bring along the wife/husband and two kids for the ride. That means those 50,000 fans are actually 12,500 and the rest are tagging along. Either way, let's say the whole household are Elvis fans - they still don't buy a copy of the product EACH, they would buy one per household. in the end it doesn't matter - whether we like it or not, the people going through Graceland are not buying Elvis product, as sales for the latest MSG set shows.

Re: Time Warner and Elvis On Tour

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:29 am

I have plans to visit Graceland next summer. It will be my first time. I will be accompanied by my wife and my oldest daughter both of whom are also Elvis fans. Will we buy cds/video at Graceland? Not likely. Why? Because we already have the items and/or we can purchase it at a better price elsewhere. I'm sure there are many other families who visit Graceland each year who have a similar thought process.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:17 am

You can't judge the success of PFAL on one weeks sales!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:12 pm

Jamie wrote:You can't judge the success of PFAL on one weeks sales!

In years gone by you wouldn't have done. An item would hit the charts in a low position and then creep up to its peak. That doesn't happen these days. All fans would have known about this release in advance, and so would have pre-ordered or looked for it last week,

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:22 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Jamie wrote:You can't judge the success of PFAL on one weeks sales!

In years gone by you wouldn't have done. An item would hit the charts in a low position and then creep up to its peak. That doesn't happen these days. All fans would have known about this release in advance, and so would have pre-ordered or looked for it last week,

Yes, most hard core fans but not casual fans or music lovers. I have two mates who are big music fans and (but not EP fans as such) read some of the publications that reviews have appeared in i.e Uncut and Mojo. They will both be getting the delux version but they didn't pre-order or get it last week. The non Elvis fan community will continue to purchase overtime particularly leading up to Xmas.

cheers

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:24 pm

HBO should buy the rights and have a special something like the 68 comeback whiich was an HBO product at first. HBO surley has the capital to invest and not expect an imediate return on the investment. They could show it for years then put it on the market as a DVD much as they did with the 68 Comeback. Just a thought.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:37 pm

srovenstine wrote:HBO should buy the rights and have a special something like the 68 comeback whiich was an HBO product at first. HBO surley has the capital to invest and not expect an imediate return on the investment. They could show it for years then put it on the market as a DVD much as they did with the 68 Comeback. Just a thought.

I like your thought.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:12 pm

poormadpeter wrote:In years gone by you wouldn't have done. An item would hit the charts in a low position and then creep up to its peak. That doesn't happen these days. All fans would have known about this release in advance, and so would have pre-ordered or looked for it last week,

how many sales are not reported to soundscan?? you may be surprised :D

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 pm

r&b wrote:
srovenstine wrote:HBO should buy the rights and have a special something like the 68 comeback whiich was an HBO product at first. HBO surley has the capital to invest and not expect an imediate return on the investment. They could show it for years then put it on the market as a DVD much as they did with the 68 Comeback. Just a thought.

I like your thought.

What logical reason would HBO have to not only buy the rights, but also to then have to restore the footage? The cost of such a venture would cost HBO just under the price to make an episode of, for example, True Blood - a programme that, without a doubt, would bring in more viewers than EOT. HBO, like every other company in the world, will not want to invest in something and then wait five years for that money to come back in, and then barely make a profit. These are businesses, not some form of trust set up to please the patrons of the arts.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 pm

I have a friend that was paid $250,000 upfront for the story of his life by a major company. This started some 2 years ago and was just recently taken to Hollywood for more discussions on the issue. Using your logic. Why would a studio give an individual that kind of money when they haven't even determined yet that a film would be made? Why do they sink $200 million into films like John Cater that make $50 million? I don't know maybe they think it is a good idea at the time? If business was a sure bet every time like you suggest, I guess there would be no winners or losers just hit after hit. I'm sure not every HBO film and documentary makes millions but they have airtime to fill and they need subsribers to make money. Just some question you might ask yourself.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 pm

If they have airtime to fill, they are not going to fill it with a project that could leave them in the red. They don't want to take risk of commissioning a series which might flop. That's why they have pilot episodes. You can never be sure that everything is going to earn you money, of course you can't. But you weigh up the odds, and if they are in your favour then you go with it. But the problem with the EOT issue is that the odds AREN'T in their favour. Studios get it wrong sometimes, and films do badly and lose money. That's a risk. But putting money into something where the odds say that it will lose money isn't a risk, it's stupid. The odds may be wrong, of course, but why would you put your money into a project that is likely to lose money rather than one that is likely to make money.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Let me try this again. HBO has done documentaries on things like the ABA (American Basketball Ass) and Mickey Mantle. They both had plenty of old film in it and I'm sure it has been restored. I would bet they didn't do this expecting to make millions of dollars. Both can still be found, usually at odd hours being shown on HBO. Why to they do this? I'm sure Elvis is as polular as the American Basketball Ass. or Mickey Mantle although that may be close. I'm serious, why would they do this for no reason?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Old film used for documentaries such as the one you speak is more than likely going to come from one of the many film archives across the world who will already have had that footage at their disposal, and probably restored. That said, the majority of footage used in documentaries is from the cheapest possible source and not restored footage at all - hence why many film documentaries use footage from trailers rather than the films themselves. What's more, many TV production companies have their own libraries of sports footage etc.

To produce an hour long TV special of an unreleased Elvis concert, the whole concert would need to be restored. That isn't one hour of footage, that is four or five hours of footage because of the different camera angles involved. I have given the costs of this kind of restoration earlier in this thread. It is hugely expensive - and the costs of licensing snippets of footage from media libraries or archives for a documentary (whether it be on basketball or Broadway) is minute in comparison

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:16 pm

poormadpeter wrote:The whole concert would need to be restored. It is hugely expensive.

Let's start a facebook fundraiser and each fan will donate 1 dollar towards the EOT restoration fund. Once enough money is raised, it will be sent to Warner so they can start producing the "Special Edition" version of EOT. You can donate by clicking on TCB-FAN's PayPal button. Don't worry I won't steal any of it. I swear.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:08 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The whole concert would need to be restored. It is hugely expensive.

Let's start a facebook fundraiser and each fan will donate 1 dollar towards the EOT restoration fund. Once enough money is raised, it will be sent to Warner so they can start producing the "Special Edition" version of EOT. You can donate by clicking on TCB-FAN's PayPal button. Don't worry I won't steal any of it. I swear.

You'll need around 2 million fans!

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:11 am

Start a petition

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:13 am

poormadpeter wrote:You'll need around 2 million fans

you have come up with every possible example why we should not expect this release, so when it comes out I`ll be looking forward to alot of back peddling on your part, should make an interesting thread my friend... :lol:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:14 am

sweetangeline wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:You'll need around 2 million fans

you have come up with every possible example why we should not expect this release, so when it comes out I`ll be looking forward to alot of back peddling on your part, should make an interesting thread my friend... :lol:

You seem to think I don't want the release. I do want it very much. But I am a realist, and realise the world doesn't revolve around what I want.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:38 am

poormadpeter wrote:realise the world doesn't revolve around what I want.

well so far your winning because it remains unreleased so maybe the world does revolve around what you want...Mmmm there`s a scary subject :lol: anyway when it does comes out I`m quite sure we will have a whole new thread on why they decided to release it, you will probably be the one who starts the thread - lets let the powers that be decide when, but I will give you a little heads up IT WILL HAPPEN - EVENTUALLY and you can take that to the bank my friend :D