Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ALBUMS YOU LOVE TO HATE! (In the 70's)

Fri May 09, 2003 12:16 am

After classics like ON STAGE, ELVIS COUNTRY, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS album releases by Elvis somehow "slipped".
Still, I can't help looking back remembering how much I really liked albums like ELVIS NOW, RAISED ON ROCK and GOOD TIMES!
Ok folks, now we're on a roll!

Guilty Pleasures

Fri May 09, 2003 12:21 am

As a kid I am afraid on of my guilty pleasures was Elvis sings hits from his movies Vol 1. I still know all the words to CONFIDENCE :lol:

Tony

THERE YOU GO!

Fri May 09, 2003 12:41 am

How much do we really love to hate him, for everything he recorded!
We simply can't get enough of him, no matter what!!!

Fri May 09, 2003 5:20 am

Back when I was in college I went out with a girl who loved Elvis movies.
She wasn't really a "fan" so to speak, she just really love seeing Elvis' movies.
Anyway, I used to play the "I Got Lucky" cassette in my car all the time.
We always sang along to those tunes.
Actually, I still have the tape but moved on from the girlfriend - I married a different girl.
Gawd, that chic was hot!!!
Don't tell my wife
:oops:

Camden fans: We Know You're Out There!

Fri May 09, 2003 6:56 am

My '80's era Camden label cassettes remain an Elvis "guilty pleasure," having mostly replaced the Camden and Pickwick 8-tracks I had and one LP. I still play 'em today.

On the bad side (too uneven):
"C'mon Everybody"
"...Sings Hits From His Movies"
" Burning Love and ..."

Surprisingly good but with lame, out of sync artwork:
"I Got Lucky"

Personal favorites that I think hold up in their way:
"Elvis Sings 'Flaming Star"
"Almost In Love"

Also: the 2Lp "Double Dynamite" (I had it on Pickwick)

And finally, I sold the Lp of "Let's Be Friends" but I recall liking his voice on this so-so material, which I now have elsewhere.

So there's no doubt, these Camden releases were a bad '70s career move (diluted the market, etc.) that only (or mostly) Elvis fans would love. But in time I've come to enjoy those I mentioned.

I wouldn't mind having some of them on CD, but may have missed that boat....

Fri May 09, 2003 7:04 am

What about the 80s album "i was the one" lp.

Fri May 09, 2003 7:12 am

CS,

Read the post!

Fri May 09, 2003 7:19 am

Give me "Raised on Rock" with "Three Corn Patches" and all. :oops:

:twisted:

Fri May 09, 2003 7:22 am

Did some put down "Three Corn Patches"Thats a rockin song there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri May 09, 2003 2:52 pm

I forgot "Separate Ways," another one packed with great early 60's Elvis, and then two classic '70s weepers. Got to love the cover: a jumpsuited '70s Elvis standing in the middle of a road. Extremely fake looking but it grows on you.

Fri May 09, 2003 4:08 pm

The UK sleeve for “Separate Ways” was even worse than the US version:

The Camden albums introduced a lot of people (myself included) to Elvis’ music because they were affordable, and I would agree that “Separate Ways” wasn’t a bad collection when compared to albums such as “Elvis Sings Hits From His Movies”.

However, they are another example of RCA and the Colonel showing no regard for Elvis’ credibility, and releasing recent hit singles on budget albums full of old (and mostly) weak material. Both “Burning Love”/”It’s A Matter Of Time” and “Separate Ways”/”Always On My Mind” should have been showcased on a full priced album of new material in 1972, but RCA chose to throw them away on budget releases. Thankfully Ernst put things right with the “Burning Love” album in 1999.

70s albums aren't THAT bad! -Are they?

Fri May 09, 2003 5:31 pm

I remember "Raised on rock" was one of the first Elvis albums I bought, and I really liked it. I always thought Elvis sounded sooo cool and even contemporary on the title track. And the ballad "Sweet Angeline" - yes, I admit it, I loved it (I still play it every now and then). "Find out what's happening" was also a favourite, until I heard the version on "Rythm 'n' country" (just love JD Sumners way down low bass voice).
And while we're talking about 70s albums - I even liked the "Elvis" (The Fool) album. Always liked the feel of "Don't think twice", and I thought Elvis sounded funny on Padre, when he sings, "please, tell me how such THINGS can be" (I think that's what he sings towards the end - it's been a while since I last heard it though).
But, an album that (imho) has got too little attention is the "Today" album. I would just love a remixed and remastered version of it - with bonus tracks - kinda like they did with the "Promised land" album. Does anyone agree?
Bjorn

Fri May 09, 2003 5:51 pm

I agree Norwegian Fan. Too many bad things have been said about the 70's albums. True Country and TTWII are great albums, but so is Promised Land and Elvis Today.

Ernst PLEASE PLEASE release the rest of the 70's.

I prefer you release a 71 album(which can pick up the odd and ends left over after the TTWII and Elvis Country bonus tracks and then Raised On Rock and Elvis Today with bonus tracks. Would that be so bad. 3 measly albums...on FTD if it had to be. JUST RELEASE THEM...."I beg of you!" A 2 cd set could work as well. JUST GET THEM OUT THERE!!!!!! I bought the others just like a good consumer, so don't leave me hanging.

Fri May 09, 2003 7:01 pm

I will admit, I do like the "Elvis (Including 'Fool')" and "Raised On Rock" albums. I made a cassette tape of both albums.

When I'm driving to Memphis, I always have the tape in the car!

Tom (from Ohio)

Fri May 09, 2003 8:17 pm

Reading about those seventies Camden albums I suddenly remembered the cheap Camden album: Easy Come Easy Go. You guys did not mention it but it had some sixties Elvis material on it.
I remember Guadalajara as the first Spanish type Elvis songs I heard.
Don't have that album anymore, wonder what those other songs were...

Sonny

Fri May 09, 2003 11:11 pm

On the one hand, as an "armchair critic" I recognize that the Love Letters; Now; Fool; and Raised On Rock albums were quite below the standard of the studio albums released from 69 (From Elvis In Memphis) thru early 71 (Elvis Country). On the other hand, as a fan I can find things to like about each of these albums. I also personally think that Good Times may very well be Elvis' most underrated album. With such decent performances as "Loving Arms"; "I've Got A Feelin' In My Body"; "Talk About The Good Times"; "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues"; one of Elvis' most charming 70's singles ("I've Got A Thing About You Baby") and one of his most popular ("My Boy") it certainly deserved a higher chart placing than a dismal #90! Even the remaining filler songs were reasonably good!

Sat May 10, 2003 12:47 am

"Welcome To My World" is another extremely flawed, stop-gap '70s album with a few tidbits for collectors, sure, but for me it's another guilty pleasure as I heard it a lot when it came out. In time albums like this have a certain unity and welcome familiarity, but, again, it's a 70s Elvis clunker. Okay, well, at best it's a hodgepodge.

I kind of wish it was on Camden with a few movie tracks for good measure.

Good cover, though.

Sat May 10, 2003 2:46 am

Pete Dube wrote: I also personally think that Good Times may very well be Elvis' most underrated album. With such decent performances as "Loving Arms"; "I've Got A Feelin' In My Body"; "Talk About The Good Times"; "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues"; one of Elvis' most charming 70's singles ("I've Got A Thing About You Baby") and one of his most popular ("My Boy") it certainly deserved a higher chart placing than a dismal #90! Even the remaining filler songs were reasonably good!

I agree with you Pete, I love this album.

:D

Sat May 10, 2003 6:24 pm

I agree that the “Good Times” album had some great songs, and was a definite improvement over the likes of “Now” and “Elvis” (’73). It’s also no coincidence that the album sounds better as it was mostly the result of one particular session, and all the material on it was recorded in the same studio, during the same year. For me this is where albums like “Now” and “Elvis” don’t quite cut it. Both featured some good performances, but these were mixed with session leftovers, and songs Elvis wasn’t happy with and it showed. The secular recordings from 1971, which were spread over these two albums along with additional material, sound so much better when compiled in their proper context, and I think they deserved better treatment from RCA at the time. .

Sat May 10, 2003 6:31 pm

Pete Dube,

Your feeling on the Good Times album is correct which is why Promised Land paired with the album on the new version is much better. Pitty that the rest of the 70's can't get this treatment and put everything out in a cohesive order!!

Sat May 10, 2003 9:00 pm

Hate to say it, Pete, but "Good Times" is rated just about right. I like a lot of it, as mentioned, but perhaps the lame choice of a single, the downbeat weeper "Take Good Care of Her" helped its demise. This is the lead track, to boot, and it's my least favorite on the release. (Was this the "A" side of the single or was it the superior "I Got a Thing About You Baby"?)

It also needed a few more rockers, but I agree it's better than sometimes given credit for. In fact, the album was "almost there" as a classic, save the shortcomings. The strength of most of the album almost overcomes everything else.

To be super-critical, his voice, while great throughout, was also showing some of what someone here called a thickness in spots. 1970 it wasn't.

The cover shot, while I like it, probably didn't help. By that time, it might have been nice to have other clothing options besides the jumpsuit. The fans loved it, sure, but this superhero look maybe didn't fit 1974's pop / rock/ country & western market, at least not all the time.

The songs are of such a personal nature that I think a more understated look for Elvis (if only for a photo shoot, not the stage) would have helped.
That perennial Vegas look was pretty limiting

I look forward to hearing these tracks on the newer version of "Promised Land."

Mon May 12, 2003 7:38 pm

rockinrebel wrote:I agree that the “Good Times” album had some great songs, and was a definite improvement over the likes of “Now” and “Elvis” (’73). It’s also no coincidence that the album sounds better as it was mostly the result of one particular session, and all the material on it was recorded in the same studio, during the same year. For me this is where albums like “Now” and “Elvis” don’t quite cut it. Both featured some good performances, but these were mixed with session leftovers, and songs Elvis wasn’t happy with and it showed. The secular recordings from 1971, which were spread over these two albums along with additional material, sound so much better when compiled in their proper context, and I think they deserved better treatment from RCA at the time. .

I like the "Good Times" album too.

Sometimes I wished that Elvis had re-recorded "I've Got A Thing About You, Baby" and "Take Good Care of Her" during the December '73 Stax sessions. When listening to the "Good Times" album (and CD), one can easily tell that the two songs were not recorded at the same time as the rest of the album.
When the single was released, I wonder if many people were immediately reminded of the "Raised On Rock" album (the way Elvis sounded)?
It makes me wonder if the two songs had been re-recorded, if the single would've charted higher on the charts.

(Don't get me wrong here, I still enjoy listening to "I've Got a Thing..." and "Take Good Care..." and the rest of the "Good Times" album)

Just my opinion here.

Tom (from Ohio)