Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question on 'Blue Moon'

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 pm

On the 50's Master box set, disc # 5 listed as take 1 (2:55) Why isn't this on the 'Boy From Tupelo' cds set which says takes 1-3 for (0:38)? Did they missed this one?

Re: Question on 'Blue Moon'

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 am

sheila wrote:On the 50's Master box set, disc # 5 listed as take 1 (2:55) Why isn't this on the 'Boy From Tupelo' cds set which says takes 1-3 for (0:38)? Did they missed this one?

The entire "Blue Moon" session from 1954 is on A Boy From Tupelo. There was just a renumbering of the takes, based on additional analysis of the music.

What the '50s box has as take 1 may be found as take 4 on Tupelo.

The released master take is 9.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:09 am

Thanks!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:19 am

sheila wrote:Thanks!

Always happy to help.

::rocks

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:01 am

Fun to hear on these outtakes on The Boy From Tupelo, is the pop machine being used as the take is going on. I read about it years ago being audible on Blue Moon takes, and now I can hear it clearly.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:06 am

stevelecher wrote:Fun to hear on these outtakes on The Boy From Tupelo, is the pop machine being used as the take is going on. I read about it years ago being audible on Blue Moon takes, and now I can hear it clearly.

I could hear it before, but now I know what flavor was being taken out of the machine.

The sound is that good.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:10 am

stevelecher wrote:Fun to hear on these outtakes on The Boy From Tupelo, is the pop machine being used as the take is going on. I read about it years ago being audible on Blue Moon takes, and now I can hear it clearly.

Always thought it was an air conditioner. Summers in Memphis are hot, even at night.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Always thought it was an air conditioner. Summers in Memphis are hot, even at night.

Doc, at the end of one of the takes, it sounds like one of those old machines where the machine whirs for a second and the bottle is released. I am influenced by what I've read before, so I'm not certain. I would think the air conditioner wouldn't be such a quick short sound, but something more constant.

Ekenee, that you can now tell what kind of drink it was is very funny. Love it!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:04 am

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Doc, at the end of one of the takes, it sounds like one of those old machines where the machine whirs for a second and the bottle is released. I am influenced by what I've read before, so I'm not certain. I would think the air conditioner wouldn't be such a quick short sound, but something more constant.

Ekenee, that you can now tell what kind of drink it was is very funny. Love it!

Steve, pop machine theory was written about decades ago, but I can't remember where I originally read it.

I hadn't thought about it too much til you mentioned it. It might have been a story told by Scotty or
Sam about that sound that was on the tape. I wish I could remember where I first heard about this.

Anyway, its just another small piece of trivia that make the Sun sessions interesting for me.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:49 pm

I'd heard about the drinks machine story a few years ago too. Didn't hear it until the FTD though - it's quite funny when you think about it.

You've got people talking during "Mary In the Morning", Elvis' dog barking at the end of "Way Down", a machine dispensing a coke during "Blue Moon", a chair wheel squeaking in the intro of "Rock-a-Hula Baby", Elvis bumping into a microphone stand during "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" due to the lights being off.

Anymore?!

Doesn't the house phone ring during one outtake in the Jungle Room sessions? And doesn't the story go that a siren of a fire truck or ambulance or something makes Elvis laugh while he starts singing "Poor Man's Gold" at American Sound and he just gives up on the song - not sure if that's true.