Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mac Davis

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:22 am

After taking several years off to help raise his "second set of kids," Mac Davis has begun writing again in Nashville and elsewhere. This weekend he is performing two nights at a great little place south of Nashville called The Franklin Theatre. The show was terrific -- two hours of great stories and funny memories. There were lots of Elvis stories (though he admitted they never got especially close like he would have hoped).

One funny story that I'd never heard took place at one of the California homes. Mac said it was "black on black with some red and black on the black;" the coolest house he'd ever seen, as he told it. Anyway, sitting on the couch, he said, at one point, Elvis turned serious and said, "You know what I'd really like to do, Mac? I'd love to be a guest on 'Laugh In.' I could wear that yellow slicker with the hood -- nobody'd know who I was. And I could ride that tricycle around in circles. And then I could pedal right up to the camera and pull the hood off, and say 'Sock it to me." And then I could fall over. Man, that would be great." Mac said, to make it funnier, as he described "falling over" on the trike, Elvis fell off the couch onto the floor, and laughed. Mac recalled that he replied, "Well, Elvis, why don't you? Are you kidding? They would love that. America would love that. It'd make headline all over the world." Elvis shook his head and said "Nah, I can't. The Colonel won't let me. He says it's 'beneath me.'"

Mac said he wished he'd been brave and/or comfortable enough to tell Elvis that he should do what he wanted to do -- and that the Colonel had a lot of nerve to put Elvis in some of the things he put him in, but then to say that something E wanted to do was "beneath him."

On a sidenote, Mac said he bought a white convertible mercedes with the money he made off of "In the Ghetto." He called it his "ghetto ride." When the "A Little Less Conversation" remix hit worldwide, he said he bought another new car. This one has the license plate # "THXLVIS."

It was a great night by a really talented writer and performer -- one who is very appreciative and respectful of Elvis. (BTW, if you've never heard it, check out the verses of 'Memories' that Elvis didn't record. It reveals a very different song -- a very sad one that could have easily appealed to E's musical tastes of his later years).

Re: Mac Davis

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:44 am

Thank you for sharing, where can we find that lost verse from Memories?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:01 am

Mac actually cut it himself and released it shortly after EP did. Here's a youtube link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0uP-naFafw

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:39 am

Nancy Sinatra also sang the omitted verse from "Memories" on her 1969 album, "Nancy." I believe Billy Strange may have produced some, if not all of that album. Her version was also on the flipside of a single that featured "Here We Go Again" on the other side.

Here's another Mac Davis song that Nancy Sinatra recorded that I wish Elvis had done too.

phpBB [video]

Daryl

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 am

Daryl wrote:Nancy Sinatra also sang the omitted verse from "Memories" on her 1969 album, "Nancy." I believe Billy Strange may have produced some, if not all of that album. Her version was also on the flipside of a single that featured "Here We Go Again" on the other side.

Here's another Mac Davis song that Nancy Sinatra recorded that I wish Elvis had done too.

phpBB [video]

Daryl

Heartfelt song beautifully sung by Ms Sinatra. Youre right it was a great fit for Elvis's songs around late 60s-early70s. Thanks for posting link!

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:36 am

srlogicom wrote:Mac actually cut it himself and released it shortly after EP did. Here's a youtube link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0uP-naFafw

Thanks for posting! Very interesting to hear the full song.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:47 am

Mac also did quite a nice version of "In the Ghetto" himself. I don`t know when/ If he recorded it, but he might have been able to make it a hit on his own. He says that it was the first big hit he had, but as far as I know.....it was Elvis`s recording of the song that became a hit..... :?: (I know he wrote it though)

phpBB [video]

Last edited by elvisa on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:18 am

For more on Mac and Elvis, check out this terrific little thread > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66415&hilit=+mac+davis

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:45 am

elvisalisellers wrote:For more on Mac and Elvis, check out this terrific little thread > http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... +mac+davis

Thanks for the link :smt006
But still.....it`s not quite clear to me if/or not Mac actually recorded "In the Ghetto" himself :? I use David Neales web to search for songs original recorded by others, but it`s not there, so I just wonder......

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:03 am

elvisa wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:For more on Mac and Elvis, check out this terrific little thread > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66415&hilit=+mac+davis

Thanks for the link :smt006
But still.....it`s not quite clear to me if/or not Mac actually recorded "In the Ghetto" himself :? I use David Neales web to search for songs original recorded by others, but it`s not there, so I just wonder......

Mac's version of In The Ghetto was released on a 1979 Greatest Hits album [see below] that also included his beautiful rendition of Memories.

P.S. On the into of the live version you posted, he's referring to Elvis' 1969 cut as "The first really big hit I ever had."

phpBB [video]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 am

Mac Davis recorded In The Gheeto AFTER Elvis did.

The song was originally picthed to Sammy Davis jnr

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:38 am

Ok, I see.....Mac was talking about his first real hit as a SONGWRITER,....recorded by Elvis 8) (Thought he was talking about a hit of HIS own recording of the song)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:45 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Mac Davis recorded In The Gheeto AFTER Elvis did.

The song was originally picthed to Sammy Davis jnr

Thanks Kiwi :smt006

I don`t know about Sammy`s version..... :shock: .....Do you mean this?(To me it seems ....well, quite different :( )...not actually great IMO

phpBB [video]

I`ll just say..."I`m glad Elvis recorded it"....

phpBB [video]