Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New Biography About Bruce Springsteen Names Elvis as Ins

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:57 am

Don't stop including links just because people tease you about it. Sources should be cited.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:22 am

Well, it's an important book; I'm surprised no one else has posted about it. I'd like to know how it compares to "Mansion On The Hill" and other such efforts. (That was not a Bruce bio, but has a LOT about him in it, and was superior to the Marsh book. So, at the time, there wasn't a whole lot else that was balanced.)

I think Bruce sees things in a much more nuanced way than when he was younger, and I would definitely like to read this, because he threw not only his support behind it, but told the guy to write whatever he wanted, investigate whatever he wanted . . . I believe his ex-wife is interviewed, and Bruce was okay with everything. He feels like he has nothing to hide.

When he was younger, his attitude was quite different; I'll put it that way. He went through a kind of crisis of trust at around age 40 or so, and that began the time when he ditched the band, and there was bad PR, and his first marriage went south, and people were really questioning his sincerity. And now he seemed totally open to this guy looking into everything, because that was long ago and far away, and he's not afraid of anything. Made total peace with himself.

And, thus, I think he's looked at his musical history, and musical history in general, with a more nuanced eye. There's nothing he's gotta prove anymore. He doesn't have to prove he's intelligent, because that's self-evident. So he doesn't have to distance himself in any way from the early rockers, who are sometimes looked-down-upon. He's proud to be a "working class hero" - in a way he maybe wasn't a couple decades ago. It's a real long way from . . . say, 40, to 63. He knows who is he is; there is no confusion. And he's not afraid of his past, or anyone else's.

(I hope I didn't wait too long to buy tickets to the Honda Center appearance. They're on the expensive side, and a month ago, I was struggling a bit. Now, I really, really want to go, and have a little bit to do it, and it says "obstructed view." Well, I think I'll go in any event.)

I really look forward to this one! Anyone else?

rjm (I sent a sample to my Kindle right now; I'll start reading it tonight. If you want it right away, or want to put the Kindle edition on your Wish List, and start reading it in December, here's an e-book link: http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-ebook/dp/B007EDOL92/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352445902&sr=8-2&keywords=%22Bruce%22+Peter+Ames+Carlin

You can also get it on the Nook, through e-pub, and many other digi-ways, of course. You can also buy the dead-tree book, wherever you want!)
Last edited by rjm on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:27 am

looks like an interesting book

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 pm

good for him :smt001