Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Follow That Dream collector's label: Philosophy?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Given the continuing controversy / debate over the Elvis Hits of the 70's release on the FTD label, and for that matter many of the releases of the FTD label of the last 7 + years (see below), I am curious as to what the philosophy / methodology of releasing material of FTD is (?) in relation to the following:

A fellow member of the board stated this (thank you to that member) in the context of a thread debating some of the possible further inane releases on the FTD label:

above all, please let us have Flaming Star and From Elvis In Memphis before compilation albums. There at least 10 Classics in my minds that must come first.

What seems like a major "oversight" of the FTD label within a temporal context, and the obvious mortality rate of some of the near life long supporters of the Elvis legacy who have been, or will be confirming their mortality, in addition to the Elvis legacy in general, and the FTD consumers and supporters at large is: Why the American Sound / Memphis sessions from 1969 are still awaiting release while a lot of "lesser" (questionable concerts [qualitatively speaking], soundtracks, etc.) releases including the latest unnecessary "hits" release have been given priority.

To my knowledge the 69' Memphis sessions isn't like the long awaited Sun book / cd set where the case was that Ernst was making sure that he left no stone unturned in creating the most definitive and masterful presentation of the Sun era possible. In fact to my knowledge much of the '69 material was released years ago in a celebrated (yet to my knowledge costly and challenging to find) "unofficial" cd series.

Above, I referred to FTD label releases of the "last 7 + years" given the following reasoning:

Whether partial to the music Elvis recorded in the 50's, and / or 60's, and / or 70's, it seems that the members of this board and music "critics" in general consider Elvis is Back and Elvis in Memphis as (arguably) two of Elvis' greatest artistic / creative albums. Given that Elvis is Back was released in 2005!, over 7 years ago!, what is the reasoning why the American Sound material has not been released in what, in my opinion, should be a nice cd box set or multi-cd release of that material?

The year 1969 might even warrant a book / mult-cd set centered around the Memphis sessions given it is the official year that Elvis returned to regular live performances that again many might consider to be the greatest performances of the second phase (the 50's being the first) of his concert tour performing career.

Additionally, if the speculation is correct that there are tapes of Elvis rehearsing in '69 for his return to live performing in existence (to my knowledge I don't know if the existence of said tapes has been confirmed by auditory evidence), and the songs contained within those tapes are the only recorded evidence of Elvis singing those specific songs, if they exist, and if they are attainable, and FTD threw a cd of the rehearsals into the mix, you could create what might be considered by FTD followers to be one of the greatest releases on the FTD label to date in the form of a '69 book / '69 American Sound sessions / 69' rehearsal tapes.

Or if the demographics of FTD demand no book and all music, FTD could go the '69 American Sound sessions / '69 rehearsal tapes / unreleased '69 concert route. Either way, book or no book, you have a release that would be hard to match in terms of the sheer wealth of quality recordings within the FTD catalog. Not mention that the amount of unreleased material contained within the triple threat set would likely be able to please even the most insatiable of Elvis music enthusiasts. It would be the very antithesis of the latest FTD "hits" release that has caused a portion of the members of this board and quite possibly FTD supporters in general, to question the "direction" that FTD is headed.

That would bring FTD back into alignment with the core of the Presley legacy (great music!), put them in unimaginably good graces with the FTD followers, and create one of the greatest releases in the FTD catalog.

Basically, I would like to borrow a favorite term that some of the fine contributors on this forum use, and that is the "oversight" of FTD (or the main label even[?]) to release the material from the 69' Memphis sessions is well..."baffling"

Re: Follow That Dream collector's label: Philosophy?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:27 pm

music2 wrote:Given the continuing controversy / debate over the Elvis Hits of the 70's release on the FTD label, and for that matter many of the releases of the FTD label of the last 7 + years (see below), I am curious as to what the philosophy / methodology of releasing material of FTD is (?) in relation to the following:

A fellow member of the board stated this (thank you to that member) in the context of a thread debating some of the possible further inane releases on the FTD label:

above all, please let us have Flaming Star and From Elvis In Memphis before compilation albums. There at least 10 Classics in my minds that must come first.

What seems like a major "oversight" of the FTD label within a temporal context, and the obvious mortality rate of some of the near life long supporters of the Elvis legacy who have been, or will be confirming their mortality, in addition to the Elvis legacy in general, and the FTD consumers and supporters at large is: Why the American Sound / Memphis sessions from 1969 are still awaiting release while a lot of "lesser" (questionable concerts [qualitatively speaking], soundtracks, etc.) releases including the latest unnecessary "hits" release have been given priority.

To my knowledge the 69' Memphis sessions isn't like the long awaited Sun book / cd set where the case was that Ernst was making sure that he left no stone unturned in creating the most definitive and masterful presentation of the Sun era possible. In fact to my knowledge much of the '69 material was released years ago in a celebrated (yet to my knowledge costly and challenging to find) "unofficial" cd series.

Above, I referred to FTD label releases of the "last 7 + years" given the following reasoning:

Whether partial to the music Elvis recorded in the 50's, and / or 60's, and / or 70's, it seems that the members of this board and music "critics" in general consider Elvis is Back and Elvis in Memphis as (arguably) two of Elvis' greatest artistic / creative albums. Given that Elvis is Back was released in 2005!, over 7 years ago!, what is the reasoning why the American Sound material has not been released in what, in my opinion, should be a nice cd box set or multi-cd release of that material?

The year 1969 might even warrant a book / mult-cd set centered around the Memphis sessions given it is the official year that Elvis returned to regular live performances that again many might consider to be the greatest performances of the second phase (the 50's being the first) of his concert tour performing career.

Additionally, if the speculation is correct that there are tapes of Elvis rehearsing in '69 for his return to live performing in existence (to my knowledge I don't know if the existence of said tapes has been confirmed by auditory evidence), and the songs contained within those tapes are the only recorded evidence of Elvis singing those specific songs, if they exist, and if they are attainable, and FTD threw a cd of the rehearsals into the mix, you could create what might be considered by FTD followers to be one of the greatest releases on the FTD label to date in the form of a '69 book / '69 American Sound sessions / 69' rehearsal tapes.

Or if the demographics of FTD demand no book and all music, FTD could go the '69 American Sound sessions / '69 rehearsal tapes / unreleased '69 concert route. Either way, book or no book, you have a release that would be hard to match in terms of the sheer wealth of quality recordings within the FTD catalog. Not mention that the amount of unreleased material contained within the triple threat set would likely be able to please even the most insatiable of Elvis music enthusiasts. It would be the very antithesis of the latest FTD "hits" release that has caused a portion of the members of this board and quite possibly FTD supporters in general, to question the "direction" that FTD is headed.

That would bring FTD back into alignment with the core of the Presley legacy (great music!), put them in unimaginably good graces with the FTD followers, and create one of the greatest releases in the FTD catalog.

Basically, I would like to borrow a favorite term that some of the fine contributors on this forum use, and that is the "oversight" of FTD (or the main label even[?]) to release the material from the 69' Memphis sessions is well..."baffling"

Well said!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:17 am

Just because something isn't released yet from FTD doen't mean it never will be. Who here on this forum has a right to judge the time frames in which releases are to be released? Everyone acts like 'Hits of the 70's" is the last release from FTD or something. Ernst will release what he wants when he wants. If he wants to wait another 5 years to come out with the 69 sessions then that up to him right?
Everyone acts like a bunch of impatient little kids on here.

Ernst/Sony will release the FTD's as they feel fit , stop whining people damn. :roll:

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:20 am

promiseland wrote:Just because something isn't released yet from FTD doen't mean it never will be. Who here on this forum has a right to judge the time frames in which releases are to be released? Everyone acts like 'Hits of the 70's" is the last release from FTD or something. Ernst will release what he wants when he wants. If he wants to wait another 5 years to come out with the 69 sessions then that up to him right?
Everyone acts like a bunch of impatient little kids on here.

Ernst/Sony will release the FTD's as they feel fit , stop whining people damn. :roll:

Well said!