Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Burning Love" CD vs. "Standing room only" FTD

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Whilst comparing the masters used on the 1999 CD unimaginitively titled "Burning love" to the masters used on the more recent FTD "Standing room only", it's clear and apparent that the masters, in the main, all sound better on "Burning love". I checked each one thru proper headphones and thru speakers at home (NOT in a car). Elvis' sniff at the beginning of "It's over" appears to have been expertly removed on the BL CD, whereas it is left in on the SRO FTD. The songs all sound a lot 'muddier' on SRO and much clearer on the older BL CD.
It seems that the so called re-mastering of material is not always a good thing and, in future, I will be sticking with the "Burning love" cd for the better sounding masters. To think I nearly got rid of this cd too....

Re: "Burning Love" CD vs. "Standing room only" FTD

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:18 pm

I haven't made a side by side comparison but I do recall the edits on the "Burning Love" CD being very amateurish.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:26 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:I haven't made a side by side comparison but I do recall the edits on the "Burning Love" CD being very amateurish.

Yes, the edits between the live tracks are appallingly done (Lene Reidel?) but the information imparted was about the sound quality being much better on the BL CD.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:09 pm

I think they both sound like crap, for different reasons. Burning Love is clinical, loud & processed-sounding. Standing Room Only sounds dead & dull.

Seperate Ways and Always On My Mind sounds better on the (official) Camden CDs, Burning Love sounds better on the 1984 Collection CD, the live masters sound better elsewhere, etc etc, IMO.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 pm

SRO is the same as TCM right? -

I haven't listened to the SRO FTD in awhile but I did listen to the 7 studio masters from 72 on TCM as well as the 6 Season 6 Masters on the bonus disc and thought they all sounded really good. What if they really did release SRO instead of MSG, I wonder if it would have been a better choice artistically, I'm sure MSG sold better than SRO would've though.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Standing Room Only sounds far far better to me and is much more enjoyable in that format.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Standing Room Only sounds far far better to me and is much more enjoyable in that format.

Have you compared, side by side the 2 releases in question? I have a dual CD deck and can switch from one disc to the other in a matter of seconds. Or are you saying you have compared and you prefer, duller, cloudy sound with less clarity and definition?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:22 am

One only need compare the song Burning Love to know that the 1999 CD (which uses the 70s Masters as its primary source for most songs) is not up to scratch.

Particularly, the live recordings sound better post 2007 as they are sans the digital sound FX Ferrante added to the recordings in 1995.

It's well known TONY prefers brighter, highly processed masterings. Maybe he's been to one too many loud discos in his time! :wink:

The FTD and TCM masters are not identical, it should be noted.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 am

Tony.. wrote:
Have you compared, side by side the 2 releases in question? I have a dual CD deck and can switch from one disc to the other in a matter of seconds. Or are you saying you have compared and you prefer, duller, cloudy sound with less clarity and definition?

Yeah I've compared them.

SRO sounds clear as a bell and nicely mixed.

Burning Love sounds brash and too modern and trebley