Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Toe Sack" Poem in "Elvis and You" by 11-yr-old Elvis???

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:25 pm

You know, when Elvis met Tony Joe White, he told White that he felt like he "wrote (Polk Salad Annie)." And White agreed that he sang it as though he wrote it. I thought it was a strange thing to say, but when I discovered this conversation, here, I recalled what I read in this book. They are not good about saying where they get things! I assume the Graceland archives?

Is this genuine? Has anybody seen it anywhere else before? Fascinating, in any event.

TowSackElvisAndYou328_victoriaandOhara.jpg

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "Toe Sack" Poem in "Elvis and You" by 11-yr-old Elvis???

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:41 am

No one knows? It's in this book, maybe you'll recognize the cover.

Elvis_and_You_Cover.jpg

The above is in that book, and I scanned it in. Been meaning to ask for . . . nearly since I've been here. Is this genuine? Where might they have gotten it from?

If not, then where is it from? Anyone know? It's not citation-heavy.

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:43 am

The cover is a huge clue as to the veracity of the content.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The cover is a huge clue as to the veracity of the content.

Bummer. It does have 10 out of 10 five-star reviews on amazon! (And I've enjoyed it. Aw, well.)

Thanks. :(

rjm

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:03 pm

What a peculiar topic. And what is a 'toe sack'??? Surely it's 'tote'?!

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:26 pm

I think it's actually "tow" sack, denoting the kind of sack towed along behind someone gathering, eg, cotton. But "tote" is an understandable alternative, or even "toe" to a child's ear - if we put any credence at all on this being a verse by a child Elvis.

Guy Harris has a story about himself and Elvis picking polk salad as boys and taking it home to Gladys. If true, this might say something about Elvis feeling there was something very familiar about the song's scenario.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Where is the original piece of paper in Elvis' handwriting that they supposedly got this from?? :cry:

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:33 am

Tony.. wrote:Where is the original piece of paper in Elvis' handwriting that they supposedly got this from?? :cry:

I have no idea; there is no citation. I guess it's one of those "fakes" people talk about. I think the apostrophe on 'toe, is the giveaway that something is wrong. Someone was thinking "potato" sack, which would not be consistent with Tupelo.

I only asked because what you see there on that page is what you get. And I wanted to know - I thought maybe there was something somewhere, that someone here had seen. Ah, well.

rjm

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:38 am

It's bad enough to have been written by an 11-year-old :)

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:24 pm

would have been really neat if it was genuine