Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:16 am

lucio wrote:I've had the opportunity to meet Jerry Lee many times in the 80s and 90s and when talking about Elvis a couple of times, Jerry had nothing but praise for him. He also told me that Elvis came to visit him the day after the Graceland incident in 1976 but Jerry wasn't home to meet him. They never had a chance to meet again before Elvis died.
One of Jerry's close friends related to me that Elvis flew Jerry out to Vegas to see his show in August 1969 and wanted an honest appraisal of the performance rather than usual praise that he got from people around him. This friend said that Jerry told Elvis that the show and his performance was 'dynamite'. Jerry said to this friend that he was ready to criticize if necessary but found Elvis to be a great performer, better than he had ever seen him before and that he really enjoyed the show(s).
There is no doubt that Jerry has had many problems with alcohol and drugs (especially in the 70s) and that he showed up drunk at Graceland that night in 1976 after a late night at his favourite hangout at the time, Hernando's Hideway (down the street from Graceland). I wasn't there but knowing Jerry, I do believe that he didn't have any intentions of harming Elvis or anyone else.
Jerry told me once that he has no regrets in whatever he has done in his life. Reality is different though. There was only one time back in 1997 where Jerry was in a bad mood and said a few things to me that were quite upsetting. As a result, I did not attend any performances after that for awhile. When I did return again, he was almost too nice to me and appeared very happy to see me back. Although the Killer never apologizes, I sincerely think he regretted the way he treated me before. I'm sure he has regrets about that night in 1976 at Elvis' gates as well.
The one thing that people have to understand about Jerry is that he is a very confident individual that believes in his talent and abilities (and he will tell you this to your face!). Some see this as a big ego but I see it as a drive to succeed. He is happy to be the centre of attention in a room and as I have seen many times, is ready to carry a conversation with people in most situations (unless the press is around at which time he will be very quiet because he does not trust most newpaper/tv reporters based on past experiences) There have never been any of those 'awkward silences' when I've met Jerry and for me personally, I've only had the one bad experience with him which he made up for the next time we met. The first time I met Jerry in 1987, there were about 20 people backstage. Jerry saw me as the 'new' face in the room and after some small talk, he called me over to sit next to him and we talked for over an hour before his concert. I felt like the most important person in that room even though I was meeting everyone for the first time. Other fans I've talked to have told me the same kind of story. There was a time back in the late 80s where some fans gathered in a hotel after one of Jerry's show and were just talking to each other. Jerry happened to come down and saw them all there and joined in the conversation and then went on to sing and play at the hotel piano for over an hour for these few fans (a tape recording of this evening is in collector hands). But I digress...back to the topic.
I know that Jerry regarded Elvis as a friend based on my discussions with him and that of his friends though I don't expect that they met that often over the years. Jerry Schilling was managing Jerry Lee for a short time in the late 80s and he told me that Elvis regarded Jerry as a friend and super talent (of course Jerry Schilling only says nice things in general so that could be open to debate). One other fact I can lay on you is that Jerry thought Elvis could have done better without Parker and told him so back in 1969 while Parker was in the room.
Just my perspective.
Lucio

Thank you for your post Lucio, it was an interesting read.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:34 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Jerry is Jerry. Trust the art, not the artist is the maxim to follow.

Oh, and Elvis began a tour in Reno, NV on November 24, 1976 and very likely did not come to visit Jerry after he was released by the Memphis Police.

But you're not certain of that so maybe he did visit Jerry Lee ! :roll:

There is not a shred of evidence to support such a visit, in 1976, let alone 1966 or even 1956.

Use your common sense.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:44 am

lucio wrote:I've had the opportunity to meet Jerry Lee many times in the 80s and 90s and when talking about Elvis a couple of times, Jerry had nothing but praise for him. He also told me that Elvis came to visit him the day after the Graceland incident in 1976 but Jerry wasn't home to meet him. They never had a chance to meet again before Elvis died.
One of Jerry's close friends related to me that Elvis flew Jerry out to Vegas to see his show in August 1969 and wanted an honest appraisal of the performance rather than usual praise that he got from people around him. This friend said that Jerry told Elvis that the show and his performance was 'dynamite'. Jerry said to this friend that he was ready to criticize if necessary but found Elvis to be a great performer, better than he had ever seen him before and that he really enjoyed the show(s).
There is no doubt that Jerry has had many problems with alcohol and drugs (especially in the 70s) and that he showed up drunk at Graceland that night in 1976 after a late night at his favourite hangout at the time, Hernando's Hideway (down the street from Graceland). I wasn't there but knowing Jerry, I do believe that he didn't have any intentions of harming Elvis or anyone else.
Jerry told me once that he has no regrets in whatever he has done in his life. Reality is different though. There was only one time back in 1997 where Jerry was in a bad mood and said a few things to me that were quite upsetting. As a result, I did not attend any performances after that for awhile. When I did return again, he was almost too nice to me and appeared very happy to see me back. Although the Killer never apologizes, I sincerely think he regretted the way he treated me before. I'm sure he has regrets about that night in 1976 at Elvis' gates as well.
The one thing that people have to understand about Jerry is that he is a very confident individual that believes in his talent and abilities (and he will tell you this to your face!). Some see this as a big ego but I see it as a drive to succeed. He is happy to be the centre of attention in a room and as I have seen many times, is ready to carry a conversation with people in most situations (unless the press is around at which time he will be very quiet because he does not trust most newpaper/tv reporters based on past experiences) There have never been any of those 'awkward silences' when I've met Jerry and for me personally, I've only had the one bad experience with him which he made up for the next time we met. The first time I met Jerry in 1987, there were about 20 people backstage. Jerry saw me as the 'new' face in the room and after some small talk, he called me over to sit next to him and we talked for over an hour before his concert. I felt like the most important person in that room even though I was meeting everyone for the first time. Other fans I've talked to have told me the same kind of story. There was a time back in the late 80s where some fans gathered in a hotel after one of Jerry's show and were just talking to each other. Jerry happened to come down and saw them all there and joined in the conversation and then went on to sing and play at the hotel piano for over an hour for these few fans (a tape recording of this evening is in collector hands). But I digress...back to the topic.
I know that Jerry regarded Elvis as a friend based on my discussions with him and that of his friends though I don't expect that they met that often over the years. Jerry Schilling was managing Jerry Lee for a short time in the late 80s and he told me that Elvis regarded Jerry as a friend and super talent (of course Jerry Schilling only says nice things in general so that could be open to debate). One other fact I can lay on you is that Jerry thought Elvis could have done better without Parker and told him so back in 1969 while Parker was in the room.
Just my perspective.
Lucio

Very cool story. I wish I had the chance to say hello when I saw him live twice in 2011. I think he's fantastic.