Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis' 40 Greatest (Arcade) - A potential FTD?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:12 pm

brings back a lotta fond memories as a kid, straight outta school n back to Woolworths lookin over n over again at this cover day after day. then being teased by the regular tv advert coverage & waiting for it to drop under the tree for XMas - happy days indeed

But it has no place on an FTD & wouldn't get my interest this time around, plus it would just slow something else bein released in its place

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Matthew wrote:Getting serious - now that A Boy From Tupelo is out of print, 1975's The Sun Collection would be an ideal candidate for an FTD Classic Album.

Why would anyone want a short, 16 track CD which is just a cut down version of the many, many Sun compilations that have been out since 1975 on a collectors' label??? How about FTD releasing the other 'Starcall' LP, "Pictures of Elvis"?? LOL

It wouldn't be a "short, 16 track CD" as an FTD Classic Album would it?

1975's The Sun Collection was the first dedicated collection of Elvis' Sun recordings, one that Elvis himself held (see FTD's Dinner At Eight), and a record RCA USA would mimic the following year with The Sun Sessions (but with hideously garish artwork). On FTD it would no doubt be padded out with bonus tracks and session out-takes. Frankly, Sebastian's mastering work deserves wider exposure and this would be a perfect outlet to achieve that. Disc 1 would simply be a re-arrangement of Tupelo's disc 1, and disc 2 would simply be a reproduction of Tupelo's disc 2.

This album is probably more deserving of being called 'classic' than others anyway.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Matthew wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
Matthew wrote:Getting serious - now that A Boy From Tupelo is out of print, 1975's The Sun Collection would be an ideal candidate for an FTD Classic Album.

Why would anyone want a short, 16 track CD which is just a cut down version of the many, many Sun compilations that have been out since 1975 on a collectors' label??? How about FTD releasing the other 'Starcall' LP, "Pictures of Elvis"?? LOL

It wouldn't be a "short, 16 track CD" as an FTD Classic Album would it?

1975's The Sun Collection was the first dedicated collection of Elvis' Sun recordings, one that Elvis himself held (see FTD's Dinner At Eight), and a record RCA USA would mimic the following year with The Sun Sessions (but with hideously garish artwork). On FTD it would no doubt be padded out with bonus tracks and session out-takes. Frankly, Sebastian's mastering work deserves wider exposure and this would be a perfect outlet to achieve that. Disc 1 would simply be a re-arrangement of Tupelo's disc 1, and disc 2 would simply be a reproduction of Tupelo's disc 2.

This album is probably more deserving of being called 'classic' than others anyway.

It's a weird idea of yours I thought at first, but an appealing & logical one ! I wonder if they could shift many though.. most of us collectors bought Tupelo didn't we, and the '75 Sun Collection isn't rare if people want the artwork. I got a nice old RCA CD of it, sounds a bit weird but I love having it.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 pm

I have zero interest in any more SUN releases. Regardless of who releases it. I've got all the SUN I need

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:40 pm

They reissued CDs from previous out-of-print books so there must be demand for them. The hard yards are already done with regards to the audio, it's just a matter of re-sequencing the first disc and pulling together the artwork. If FTD can bother with a redundant title like Hits Of The 70s, featuring only masters that most of us have at least once elsewhere, making available the stellar audio work of Tupelo for a wider audience is a no brainer.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:54 pm

NO. This is not what the Collector's label was supposed to be about. If they go in this direction, it means the FTD label is "jumping the shark."

I agree with the Doc that the label to this date is much better than hit or miss. I disagreed about Tickle Me and Hits Of The 70's and a few others, but most of them are in my collection. I'm glad to have America and Tucson in the collection, though New Haven could have been withheld. I hate to see the label become a hit and miss affair with all these reissue releases.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 am

Tony.. wrote:
elvisonline wrote:
King Volcano wrote:Another terrible Elvis sleeve which should be consigned to history. He looks like an idiotic waxwork or cartoon character here, instead of the greatest popular performer & vocalist of the 20th-century.

You can get the vinyl of this for about £1 in London by the way. It's virtually unsellable.

I disagree with this. Stone mint copies of this are tricky to find. Most copies have been played a lot. The label variations are quite interesting too. Some claim it's down to the dye used not working properly but regardless, I find it a challenge to find a white label copy in mint. Yellow are easiest to find in mint but even then you don't fall over them for a quid. I've been looking for the elusive red label variant for years but to no avail. I would gladly pay £20 for a mint sleeve mint records copy with a clearly RED label.

elvisonline

You have too much time on your hands, Scott!! LOL. I've seen loads of copies of this at record fairs at usually £1 or £2 top whack. I don't check to see what colour the labels are as I'm usually looking for better items at fairs, not this kind of crap.

I am always on the lookout for variations Tony as you never know what you are going to find. CDS1155 is probably the worst Elvis album ever but without keeping that open mind, I would never have found my copy with a Jim Reeves label on side 2. Without keeping an open mind I would never have picked up solid centre black label 45's, and would never have found my Christmas Album with an RCA label on side a and an RCA Victor label on side b.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but I like seeking out the variations. Personally, Tony, i would not buy cassette tapes or tribute magazines or any vinyl in worse than VG+ condition but we are all different i guess. I stand by the fact that this album is not common in stone mint and on the white label.

elvisonline

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 am

I also have £20 waiting here for anyone that can find me a mint copy with RED labels.

That won't be a bad profit will it Tony? Pick up the mint issue for £1 and sell it to me for £20?

elvisonline

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:23 pm

I'll buy a small tin of red paint! :wink:

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:20 pm

i cant see elvis 40 greats on ftd but you never know with ftd :D

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:04 am

Matthew wrote:1975's The Sun Collection was the first dedicated collection of Elvis' Sun recordings, one that Elvis himself held (see FTD's Dinner At Eight), and a record RCA USA would mimic the following year with The Sun Sessions (but with hideously garish artwork). On FTD it would no doubt be padded out with bonus tracks and session out-takes. Frankly, Sebastian's mastering work deserves wider exposure and this would be a perfect outlet to achieve that. Disc 1 would simply be a re-arrangement of Tupelo's disc 1, and disc 2 would simply be a reproduction of Tupelo's disc 2.

And if FTD were to throw in the recently found live version of I Forgot To Remember To Forget [from source], it could be the proverbial "dangling of the carrot" for any potential Classic Album Sun package.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 am

Were the 50's tracks on 40 greatest hits in original mono or electronic reprocessed stereo ?

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:06 pm

the 50s songs were in mono