Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' 40 Greatest (Arcade) - A potential FTD?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:51 pm

This 1975 U.K. release could be supplemented with relevant B-sides. Plus we would have the added bonus of having the original retro artwork - which would look marvellous in the 7" 2 x CD Classic Album format.

Throwing in an inadvertent [already issued] alternate version of one of the tracks would be the icing on the cake!

What do others think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis' 40 Greatest (Arcade) - A potential FTD?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:14 am

Send Roger Semon an email!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:16 am

I think I have this, but it's got a different cover and is on pink vinyl. Bought it shortly after Elvis died. I'd buy it if FTD were to release it.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:18 am

Would you want it exactly like the original album, ie, in awful sound quality and mostly mono, with nothing after 1971 being included?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:20 am

JerryNodak wrote:I'd buy it FTD were to release it.

Yes!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:26 am

Tony.. wrote:Would you want it exactly like the original album, ie, in awful sound quality and mostly mono, with nothing after 1971 being included?

No. I'd expect FTD to update/expand their release something along the lines of the recently released "Hits Of The '70's."

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:36 am

Tony.. wrote:Would you want it exactly like the original album...

I'd want any unique mono mixes removed and replaced with the more common stereo versions.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:42 am

I would buy it because this is THE album that kick started my being an Elvis fan, I already had a few albums when this came out but they were all budget ones like You`ll never walk alone,Seperate ways and hits from his movies volume one, This was my big chance to get actual hit songs and 40 of them so i just had to have it.

I was still at school so i only had my pocket money and any money i could make doing odd jobs for people so i couldn`t afford to purchase it outright so i had it put away for me by a small record shop and went in every week to hand over my pocket money and ask the man in the shop if i could look at the album , So i would carefully open the gatefold sleeve and read all the liner notes and then check out the track list and then hand it back to him to put back behind the counter until i could make that final payment, I have no idea how long it took me to pay for it but it seemed like an age and when i finally got to take it home i played it until the grooves wore thin,

So yes i would get one because i,m slightly nostalgic about this release( o.k not slightly :D )

Alan.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:27 am

No. FTD lost the plot by issuing previously released tracks on Hits of the 70s, which I hope fans boycott. Rehashing existing material is an insult to fans on a collectors' label.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:29 am

In many ways, self-same compilations remain the bane of Elvis's musical legacy, and with FTD now following suit, one wonders what their future intentions are. The label, of course, has always been a hit-and-miss affair, but remains a godsend for fans and has offered some indispensable releases. Therefore, I don't think that 40 Greatest Hits is needed here, or on the main label, yet from a nostalgic point of view, I'm sure many fans would welcome this. And, being one of the best selling albums in the U.K., one wonders why this hasn't remained a cornerstone compilation over the years -- at least until E1 was released.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:36 am

Another terrible Elvis sleeve which should be consigned to history. He looks like an idiotic waxwork or cartoon character here, instead of the greatest popular performer & vocalist of the 20th-century.

You can get the vinyl of this for about £1 in London by the way. It's virtually unsellable.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:25 am

C'mon, Roger. Release 40 Greatest Hits at some point down the road and piss off the hardcores again. Have some fun!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:10 am

greystoke wrote:In many ways, self-same compilations remain the bane of Elvis's musical legacy, and with FTD now following suit, one wonders what their future intentions are. The label, of course, has always been a hit-and-miss affair, ...

Interesting thought. Always, huh?

Of 117 releases to date, can you please list the 58 titles you consider a "miss"?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Of 117 releases to date

I have 118 FTD products as of today, and if you include the vinyl (which I also have :lol: ) then thats 14 more which equals a total of 132 just saying!! :D

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:43 pm

My first ELVIS album way back in 1975. I want ftd to release this in all its glory, love the picture on the front of the sleeve.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:05 pm

This is one of the lp's of my Parents (still have somewhere) that I used to sing along to as a kid.... :wink:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
greystoke wrote:In many ways, self-same compilations remain the bane of Elvis's musical legacy, and with FTD now following suit, one wonders what their future intentions are. The label, of course, has always been a hit-and-miss affair, ...

Of 117 releases to date, can you please list the 58 titles you consider a "miss"?

FTD for all its great releases is also one that has been riddled over the years with typos, factual errors, a lack of proof-reading, unnecessary edits, technical glitches, mastering errors and faulty CDs. Tucson 76 was hardly a stellar early entry in the series, and the care and attention towards the release saw the album originally issued with the title of it misspelled. Too Much Monkey Business was the very next release and, of all the things in the vaults, the Guitar Man sessions were issued. Again, hardly a great choice. New Years Eve contains edits that are not on the bootleg releases of the same material. Dragon Heart was heavily criticised both for its content and its packaging. So High was issued with an error on the CD. The sound on Elvis Today was heavily criticised - and rightfully so. Tickle Me contained no new material. Writing For The King was riddled with typos and errors. Wild In The Country failed to spell "Presley" correctly in the first batch. America contains one of the most horrendous soundboard mixes we have yet to hear. Unchained Melody contains mastering errors not on the Fort Baxter bootleg. Stage Rehearsal was criticised for the edits. Hits of the 70s has been criticised for its superfluous nature. And these are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many others with typos that can be added to that list, and virtually all FTDs mastered by Reidel have been criticised by a significant proportion of the people on these boards.

To some, the errors, typos, mastering, mixes etc are seemingly unimportant. But FTD is not a gift, it is providing us with a service which we pay a significant price for - but often seems to do so without a great deal of self-respect. There is no excuse for discs being released with glitches or mastering errors; there is no excuse for packaging to contain typos or errors.

And all of the above is without actually commenting on the actual performances on any of the discs. Can Easy Come Easy Go, New Haven, America, Amarillo 77 or Harum Scarum be classed as "good" by any stretch of the imagination? FTD has provided us with much to enjoy but, like Presley's own career, it is wildly inconsistent both in the performances contained on the discs and the care and attention on the presentation of that material, with the latter more befitting of a bootleg outfit than a label owned by one of the biggest companies in the world.

The Webster dictionary definition of hit-and-miss is: "sometimes successful and sometimes not : not reliably good or successful". In other words, there is an inconsistency in the releases - nothing says that it means half successful and half not. But you know this already. Your game-playing on the board over the last few days has become remarkably tiresome, especially when it is quite clear you are only playing devil's advocate and actually have no belief in your own rather inane waffling. While we know that you have a post-rate to upkeep, you might be better served in saying nothing when you have nothing to say.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Let's also have then "Presley the all time greatest hits", "The Essential Elvis Presley", "The King", "The great performances", "Golden records vols. 1-5", "Heartbreak hotel and other hits", "Love songs", "Hitstory", "2nd to none", "30 no.1 hits", "Elvis 75", "Artist of the century", "The essential collection", "50 greatest hits" and "The best of Artist of the century" on the FTD label too. :roll:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Tony.. wrote:Let's also have then "Presley the all time greatest hits", "The Essential Elvis Presley", "The King", "The great performances", "Golden records vols. 1-5", "Heartbreak hotel and other hits", "Love songs", "Hitstory", "2nd to none", "30 no.1 hits", "Elvis 75", "Artist of the century", "The essential collection", "50 greatest hits" and "The best of Artist of the century" on the FTD label too. :roll:

You forgot Elvis Forever..my first album... :lol:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:04 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
Tony.. wrote:Let's also have then "Presley the all time greatest hits", "The Essential Elvis Presley", "The King", "The great performances", "Golden records vols. 1-5", "Heartbreak hotel and other hits", "Love songs", "Hitstory", "2nd to none", "30 no.1 hits", "Elvis 75", "Artist of the century", "The essential collection", "50 greatest hits" and "The best of Artist of the century" on the FTD label too. :roll:

You forgot Elvis Forever..my first album... :lol:

Bring the lot on!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:21 pm

This double LP brings back loads of good memories, but I hope FTD don't release this. As for the cover it was ok for the '70s but it is damn awful. Does anyone know which original photo it was taken from?
Last edited by jon_burrows on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:39 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

FTD for all its great releases is also one that has been riddled over the years with typos, factual errors, a lack of proof-reading, unnecessary edits, technical glitches, mastering errors and faulty CDs. Tucson 76 was hardly a stellar early entry in the series, and the care and attention towards the release saw the album originally issued with the title of it misspelled. Too Much Monkey Business was the very next release and, of all the things in the vaults, the Guitar Man sessions were issued. Again, hardly a great choice. New Years Eve contains edits that are not on the bootleg releases of the same material. Dragon Heart was heavily criticised both for its content and its packaging.
So High was issued with an error on the CD. The sound on Elvis Today was heavily criticised - and rightfully so. Tickle Me contained no new material. Writing For The King was riddled with typos and errors. Wild In The Country failed to spell "Presley" correctly in the first batch. America contains one of the most horrendous soundboard mixes we have yet to hear. Unchained Melody contains mastering errors not on the Fort Baxter bootleg. Stage Rehearsal was criticised for the edits. Hits of the 70s has been criticised for its superfluous nature. And these are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many others with typos that can be added to that list, and virtually all FTDs mastered by Reidel have been criticised by a significant proportion of the people on these boards.

To some, the errors, typos, mastering, mixes etc are seemingly unimportant. But FTD is not a gift, it is providing us with a service which we pay a significant price for - but often seems to do so without a great deal of self-respect. There is no excuse for discs being released with glitches or mastering errors; there is no excuse for packaging to contain typos or errors.

And all of the above is without actually on the actual performances on any of the discs. Can Easy Come Easy Go, New Haven, America, Amarillo 76 or Harum Scarum be classed as "good" by any stretch of the imagination? FTD has provided us with much to enjoy but, like Presley's own career, it is wildly inconsistent both in the performances contained on the discs and the care and attention on the presentation of that material, with the latter more befitting of a bootleg outfit than a label owned by one of the biggest companies in the world.

The Webster dictionary definition of hit-and-miss is: "sometimes successful and sometimes not : not reliably good or successful". In other words, there is an inconsistency in the releases - nothing says that it means half successful and half not. But you know this already. Your game-playing on the board over the last few days has become remarkably tiresome, especially when it is quite clear you are only playing devil's advocate and actually have no belief in your own rather inane waffling. While we know that you have a post-rate to upkeep, you might be better served in saying nothing when you have nothing to say.

BINGO! (as the Doc himself likes to say)

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:03 am

Bring on those comps from across the pond.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:41 am

sweetangeline wrote:

I have 118 FTD products as of today...

117 listed here:
http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/ftd-label/ftd.htm

Which one are they missing? Or did you mis-count?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

I have 118 FTD products as of today...

117 listed here:
http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/ftd-label/ftd.htm

Which one are they missing? Or did you mis-count?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would have thought that you would count from your own FTD collection, but obviously you don't have all of them, otherwise you wouldn't have to check online for the total.

So tell us Doc, which ones are you missing? :lol: